Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BoosterPlug -R1150RT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thomas K

BoosterPlug -R1150RT

Has anybody heard of or used the “BoosterPlug”?
    I just bought my R1150RT and wondering if this is worth the $150,
    or if this is just another gimmick.
    Have a look at http://www.boosterplug.com

Thomas

do a search on "boosterplug" in the Oilheads forum. should find lots of relevant feedback.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I can't say for RT but with 2003 R1150RS:

Yes, I've used it.

Yes, it is worth it.

It was an immediate and impressive improvement.

No, there is no horsepower increase - it richens up the mixture about 5-6% across the board, and gets ride of the lean staggers. Driveability is definitely improved - starts easier and idles smoothly - 6th gear usable to 55 mph / sub 3K rpm, and it pulls easily and cleanly from that speed.

Just my opinion - YMMV.
    JWMcDonald
    2016 R1200RS (current)
    2003 R1150RS (prior) / 1978 R80/7 (prior) / 1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Quote Originally Posted by JWMcDonald View Post
    - it richens up the mixture about 5-6% - YMMV.
    so, how did YOUR mileage vary? Down 5-6%?
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    I've the Accelerator on my GS, another device that does the same thing. The way I ride my bike on local roads gets me about 42 MPG +/-. Adding the Accelerator did not change that.

Apparently due to the way engine management occurs the temperature sensor that the device fools is only used when the bike is running open loop. When cruising down the road at a steady speed the bike is running closed loop where the O2 sensor takes precedence.

If you ride your bike such that you are often in open loop mode then perhaps you'll see a mileage hit.

I wrote an article about installing it on my 2007 K1200Sport. You can find it here:

www.rvbprecision.com

In a nut shell, worked great on my bike!
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    No discernible variance in the mileage (40-42 for variety of in-town and "spirited" rural riding in Northern California).
    JWMcDonald
    2016 R1200RS (current)
    2003 R1150RS (prior) / 1978 R80/7 (prior) / 1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Quote Originally Posted by JWMcDonald View Post
    I can't say for RT but with 2003 R1150RS:

Yes, I've used it.

Yes, it is worth it.

It was an immediate and impressive improvement.

No, there is no horsepower increase - it richens up the mixture about 5-6% across the board, and gets ride of the lean staggers. Driveability is definitely improved - starts easier and idles smoothly - 6th gear usable to 55 mph / sub 3K rpm, and it pulls easily and cleanly from that speed.

Just my opinion - YMMV.
    however, riding at those low rpms is still not really recommended. your bike will be much happier if you keep the revs up a bit more (generally, north of 4K), tho for easy steady speed cruising down into the 3K range is acceptable.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

jduke
    Here are some other temp spoofers for about half the price of the BoosterPlug:
    http://www.novitech.nl/abouteng.html
    http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    however, riding at those low rpms is still not really recommended. your bike will be much happier if you keep the revs up a bit more (generally, north of 4K), tho for easy steady speed cruising down into the 3K range is acceptable.
    The point was that it would pull from that range - not that is where it is operated. For legal freeway speeds, a few ticks above 3K rpm in 6th gear is 65 mph (per GPS). The BoosterPlug makes that a much more enjoyable experience - prior to the BoosterPlug, 6th gear was not useable in that scenario - it took 5th gear and 70+mph to not be bothered with the surging. Now, an easy pass is merely a slight twist of the wrist to roll on around. Dropping to 4th at 65mph gives the "launch" when needed.

Personally, I find the statements I've seen on the forum in regards to "bike being happier" comical - I'm the one that needs to be kept happy, and the R1150RS (with BoosterPlug) does that for me...
    JWMcDonald
    2016 R1200RS (current)
    Windsor, California

'Forgiven'
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

Quote Originally Posted by 179120 View Post
    Has anybody heard of or used the ‘«£BoosterPlug‘«ō?
    I just bought my R1150RT and wondering if this is worth the $150,
    or if this is just another gimmick.
    Have a look at http://www.boosterplug.com

Thomas
    I've got one myself, it is well made, and not a gimmick. It does drop the measured AIT as advertised and that does richen the mixture several percent. If you look at posts #40 and 41, in this AFR measurements, you can see the effect of BoosterPlug on Open Loop fueling.

However, the tests I ran also show that the 1150RT spends almost half it's time Closed Loop. The BP does not effect fueling when the Motronic is running the CL program.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    I've got one myself, it is well made, and not a gimmick. It does drop the measured AIT as advertised and that does richen the mixture several percent. If you look at posts #40 and 41, in this AFR measurements, you can see the effect of BoosterPlug on Open Loop fueling.

However, the tests I ran also show that the 1150RT spends almost half it's time Closed Loop. The BP does not effect fueling when the Motronic is running the CL program.
    Yeah, and sadly, closed loop is where all the surging happens. So are these things really a surging fix as advertised? Nope. Not on two 1100RT bikes I have tried them on anyway.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I installed the booster plug after several attempts to address recently felt surging issues ( started spring of 2010). Surging for me was a non event on my '04 RR, until the bike hit 24k.
    The low gear surging was seriously detracting from my riding enjoymrnt. After the long hot ride to and from the PA rally last summer I was ready to try anything or part ways with my bike. I was hopefull, desperate and seriously skeptical of the promises made by all the different makers of such devices. I read alot and decided it was worth a try. I have been happy with that choice. The plug has greatly improved surging and drivability at lower speeds and RPMs. It did not eliminate all traces of surging, however I would not even think of "pulling the plug" on the plug. It has made riding my bike very pleasurable again. I have also not seen a decrease in MPG's.
    Good luck!
    Joe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '04 R1150 R
    '07 F650 GS

'Forgiven'
    I just ordered one of these out today http://www.boosterplug.com and was wondering how much plastic I need to remove to make the proper installation for a camhead RT.

I have some free time on my hands...

Spring is coming -
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God