• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

Brian-NC

Can't seem to break away from my desire to add more light to my RT.

I saw some PIAA's the other day surfing around on Amazon. Has anyone ever tried the P 3000 tri beams or the P 4000 Quattro's mounted on their bike? I know the Quattro's are primarily for trucks and SUV's but that shouldn't stop someone from trying them on a bike.

By the time I finish with an HID install, HP LED's and maybe some more PIAA's or Hella's I could be called upon in an emergency to light up the runway at the airport!

BTW, I know that adding all this light would be massive overkill. I would only fire em all up at the same time with little or no traffic on my way to work. I leave the house at 0 dark 30 and I want to melt a few deer on the way. :clap

Hi Brian;

I installed HID low beams on my Rt and then added a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights. The FF50s are very nice and light up the world pretty well and only draw 35 watts which is about 3 amps.

Skene Design

You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.

You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.

I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.

I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.

I suppose you're right. I am rarely on the road at night, so having extra light on the road has not a lot of meaning for me.

BMW LED driving light

Can anyone with BMW LED DRIVING LIGHTs comment on beam patern?

I've been looking for lights also and see for the R1200GS Adventure and K1600GT a LED lamp that looks to have a "projector" lens and look quite robust.
Ref part #'s 63177721320 for the Adv or 63178522487 for the 6 GT. Price is good at $153 - 157 for a pair.

Do they just light the curb for conspicuity? Or do they have a real driving beam that throws serious light 1/4 mile down the road?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 63127709430_3_N[1].jpg
    63127709430_3_N[1].jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,181
Aux light above mirrors

I used to have driving lights mounted about the mirrors on me R1100RT and R1150RT. You can seem them in this photo:

dash1.jpg

The brackets I used on them do not fit the R1200RT and I have not found a source for above-the-mirror brackets for the R1200RT.

Does anyone know where I could acquire brackets for mounting driving lights above R1200RT mirrors? I am desperate!

I've been looking for lights also and see for the R1200GS Adventure and K1600GT a LED lamp that looks to have a "projector" lens and look quite robust.
Ref part #'s 63177721320 for the Adv or 63178522487 for the 6 GT. Price is good at $153 - 157 for a pair.

Do they just light the curb for conspicuity? Or do they have a real driving beam that throws serious light 1/4 mile down the road?

Thanks.

Don't know if they are different on the 1600, but on my GSA they are not road blasters, more close up illumination. They do have a very thick lens.

The brackets I used on them do not fit the R1200RT and I have not found a source for above-the-mirror brackets for the R1200RT.

Does anyone know where I could acquire brackets for mounting driving lights above R1200RT mirrors? I am desperate!

Jeff, I would like to mount auxiliary lights above through mirrors as well, and like you haven't been able to locate a source for a bracket. I've been thinking that since the R1200RT-P has its LED emergency lights mounted there it may be possible to somehow use those brackets with an auxiliary driving light. I'd like to mount a small HID or LED like the Denali D2s up above the mirrors. Anyone used the authority light brackets for this?

I am also looking to add lights to my 2010 RT. Want to mount them inside the oil cooler housing or on the brake calipers. I'm a bit electrically challenged and don't know where to begin in making a lighting choice, an d wiring set-up. I'd like them to be wired with my low beams so they run all the time. Don't know how to do that either. I;'m already using the accessory socket for my GPS. Are there alternative "plug ins" for the wiring harness and is this something I should attempt (see above disclaimer on electrical acuity)

Same goes for selecting mounting brackets.

I'm feeling a bit lost... Any help?

I wll contact lunalink, but I didn't see anything in its photos.

I want like ABOVE the rear view mirrors.

RT-P brackets might be worth considering. I will check that out.

I have seen these posted on this site:

http://www.ezymount.com/

and these

http://lumalink.com/

Yes, ezymount has what you're looking for but they're temporarily out of stock for the 2010 model :doh

I've looked at Lumalink but they don't advertise prices unless you go through the process of ordering some mounts. That spells $$$ to me...

Anybody out there using Lumalink mounts can tell us a price?

PIAA also sells a bracket much like the ezymount which places the light underneath the nose/headlight area.

Thanks.

I found what looks like those lights at Sierra BMW, for $710.63 for the kit. They are the same as on the GSA. I could not find any lights with those Ref #s. The ones on my GSA seem to light the void between the bike and were the headlight beam hits the road. I find I ride with them on all the time, friends have told me they see me a mile away. Good luck with your choice. no part # it is called LED Driving light kit

I want brackets that locate driving lights as in the photos below. I will check with my dealer to see if RT-P brackets can be mounted on an RT.

Attachments

• light-brackets.jpg
    light-brackets.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 548
Please let us know what the dealer says! For those that want under mirror lights, the radar antenna mount looks like it could be adapted for the same job (the white circular thing under the mirror on the right side is the actual radar antenna).

Attempt expected

Just talked with Jim Strang, GM at Iron Horse Motorcycles, Tucson.

He has ordered police brackets. The next step will be dropping off my R1200RT for him and his team to work on to see how it can be done. They service RT-Ps routinely for area police departments. Next week may be trial time. I am the willing to provide my RT for experimental purposes. If it works, the results and pix will be posted here first.

And if it works, Iron Horse could do it for any R1200RT owner.

I will photograph the entire process of installation. I just happen to have a pair of NOS PIAA lights (see photo).

I was hoping they might have a totaled RT-P to pick parts from, but that was not to be. Apparently all the LE departments in the area have Iron Horse fix their RT-Ps back up.

Attachments

• piaa-lights.jpg
    piaa-lights.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
That's great, I can't wait to see if it will work! I have to imagine that the RT-P brackets should easily screw/bolt onto the sub assembly near the mirror mounts. I don't think that BMW would make the sub assembly different for non-P models. Do you have the part # and price for the brackets? If this turns out to be a simple install, I'm going to mount a pair of the Denali D2 LEDs from Twisted Throttle up there for extra deer spotting ability at night.

That's great, I can't wait to see if it will work! I have to imagine that the RT-P brackets should easily screw/bolt onto the sub assembly near the mirror mounts. I don't think that BMW would make the sub assembly different for non-P models. Do you have the part # and price for the brackets? If this turns out to be a simple install, I'm going to mount a pair of the Denali D2 LEDs from Twisted Throttle up there for extra deer spotting ability at night.
Before you spend money on RT-P brackets, let's first see if it works!

Back