• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT Rear Brake Pedal

Mr. Frank

I find the rear brake pedal on my 2004 R1150RT to be way too sensitive. I can control it if I am being very careful and controlled, but any kind of quick touch is scary, especially at low speeds. For now the answer is to use the front lever only, but I'd like to hear if anyone has a better idea. Is there any way that the servo boost can be adjusted downward?

Mr. Frank said:
the answer is to use the front lever only

That's the solution I use. With the integral ABS, the pedal is pretty much superfluous.

Congrats on the new bike :thumb

More use of the front and less dependence on the rear. :)

One way to do this is to adjust the rear lever WAAAAY down, so you realy have to twist your ankle to apply a lot of pressure. This way you can still use it (to keep the bike from rolling while you put your gloves on) but cannot abuse (overuse) it.

That is my approach also. I try to use only the front brake lever.

However, sometimes when I need to brake quickly I automatically use the rear brake pedal through force of 35 years' of habit. Then I get the sudden jerk. So when I approach a situation that looks like braking might be needed, I cover the front brake lever so it is instantly available. This is especially true when riding at low speeds, where the rear brake pedal's sensitivity is particularly unnerving. At high speeds it doesn't seen to be so much of a problem.

I also ride an R75/5 and an R60/2, where one does need the rear brake. So I have to adjust my mindset when I transition back and forth between my airheads and my R1150RT.

By the way, the old slash-2s were the original anti-lock brake motorcycles. The brakes are so poor (relatively) that you simply cannot lock them ;)

I've found that riding with the balls of one's feet on the pegs will help get rid of the rear brake flinch. You'll need to move your foot off of the peg to get to the pedal.

It also helps you control the bike better and keeps your toes from dragging in the corners.

dave

I find the rear brake pedal on my 2004 R1150RT to be way too sensitive.
As the pads & disks break in, the brakes will become a little less sensitive. And you WILL become adapted to it as your miles accumulate. The '02 models were much more sensitive, and I've gotten used to mine, to the point where I actually like it this way. :D

Oddly, I haven't had any problems when switching to other bikes.

Pat

Re: Re: R1150RT Rear Brake Pedal

fish said:
That's the solution I use. With the integral ABS, the pedal is pretty much superfluous.

Congrats on the new bike :thumb

Hey carp why can't I post to the dog house forum what ya scared of???????:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Back