Thread: K75c front brake hose routing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

K75c front brake hose routing

Can someone take a picture of his K75C front brake hose for me. I would like to see how it is routed from the master cylinder right front brake handle. I should get a pretty good picture with the handlebars turned full left.

DILEMMA

I installed a K75C brake hose onto my 93 K75S now modified with brand new C-bars. However, a quick peek into my Haynes manual and it appears that the C-model brake hose is routed behind the upper fork cross brace (between fuel tank and fork brace) which is quite different than the routing with the S-bars where the hose was routed in front of the fork cross brace.

WHY THE CONCERN

The brake hose appears to be stretched when the handlebars are turned full left. Plus, I have kept the A&S bar backs which taxes the brake hose lengthwise even more.

I can take a picture of my installation which I incidentally have to redo anyways (I am getting pretty good at bleeding).
    1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Here is a picture which might help to show my concern. Should the brake hose go behind the handlebar or ahead? BTW, I am pretty sure the brake hose should not angle up from the cylinder piston, it should be rotated 180 and point downward.

2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

3 Red Bricks
    Is your bike ABS or not?

Which part number C hose did you get?

Is the hose 435mm long?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Is your bike ABS or not?

Which part number C hose did you get?

Is the hose 435mm long?

Hello Lee,

Thanks for responding.

My bike is ABS. The C-hose part number I purchased is: 34 32 1 457 909. Yes, it is the 435mm long brake hose.

Another reason that got me thinking about routing the brake hose in front of the handlebars is the near horizontal position of the brake lever. As is, the cylinder piston and brake hose hit the handlebar leaving me with little capability to tilt the brake lever down.
    Last edited by ghyber; 01-31-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added info
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

In the hyperlink below, I found a picture of the brake hose routed forward of the handlebars? Any thoughts...?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581784
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyber View Post
    In the hyperlink below, I found a picture of the brake hose routed forward of the handlebars? Any thoughts...?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581784
    That's a non ABS bike.

The hose you bought is for C bars with ABS. It might not be long enough for C bars AND barbacks on an ABS bike. But it SHOULD be (unless there is a typo in the BMW parts fiche. Imagine that!) It shows that hose LONGER than the RT hose (which doesn't make sense).

Try different routings BEFORE you put any brake fluid in the system so you can easily try several routings. I would start with the most direct route and the kink on the upper banjo should probably be going down.

If you can't find a satisfactory routing, you may need to have a custom made line. In that case, go with teflon lined stainless braided line.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I emptied the fluid reservoir, disconnected the front brake hose and tried rerouting to no avail. I can't even reverse the kink in the banjo to the downward position; the hose flex won't allow it without excessive stress and possible damage to the $40 hose.

However, I was able to confirm by simply holding the banjo in place that there is no appreciable or significant stress on the brake hose while cramping the handlebar to the full left position. Hence, my concern was basically unjustified.

I still appreciate the feedback, thanks Lee.
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue