Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MOA Forum Hacked?

I am not sure if this is related but I thought I would post this in the event that others are seeing similar "probes" after the hacking incident:

• I received a text on my cell from a number 92500 telling me that my yahoo account had been modified to remove my cell number. (I never linked a cell number to my yahoo account
    • There was a mysterious gmail asking me about a cute kitten. This was followed by an e-mail from Rob Nye about spam
    • I received a call on my cell from 406-530-5319 which I let roll to voice mail. I googled the number and found this thread in a google support forum http://www.google.com/support/forum/...6f1b4fa7&hl=en

I did not respond to any of these unsolicited messages but I was wondering if other members are seeing similar unusual activity. My goal is to determine if these incidents are related to the hack or if I have another security issue that is brewing.

Thanks,

dick
    Rich - Denver
    '04 R1150 GS
    '92 K75s

Dick,

I've only had one little glitch so far, and it was only an attempt by another "user" who tried to log in to my account here with another user name and login/password. Not sure if there was anything else out there as my AVG filter does regular scans and I've not been checking the results of that on a daily basis...though a few days ago it did isolate a number of suspicious files...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I am not sure if this is related but I thought I would post this in the event that others are seeing similar "probes" after the hacking incident:

• I received a text on my cell from a number 92500 telling me that my yahoo account had been modified to remove my cell number. (I never linked a cell number to my yahoo account
    • There was a mysterious gmail asking me about a cute kitten. This was followed by an e-mail from Rob Nye about spam
    • I received a call on my cell from 406-530-5319 which I let roll to voice mail. I googled the number and found this thread in a google support forum http://www.google.com/support/forum/...6f1b4fa7&hl=en

I did not respond to any of these unsolicited messages but I was wondering if other members are seeing similar unusual activity. My goal is to determine if these incidents are related to the hack or if I have another security issue that is brewing.

Thanks,

dick
    The cute kittens email was a result of the hack, they spoofed one of the addresses to make it look like it came from someone you know.

The text stuff shouldn't be related. Did you have your cell phone number in your MOA account profile (not forum but the rally reg side)?

The rest of this post is for all to consider....

As I mentioned previously this is what folks will need to be on the look out for; bogus emails trying to get you to click a link.

If your anti-virus software is a few years old it's time to upgrade.

I would also like to take a moment to mention that you can get FREE excellent anti-virus software from Microsoft. I figure that if anyone can handle keeping windows clean it's Microsoft. Another huge benefit is it doesn't bog your system down like Norton.

So update your anti-virus software and watch out for suspicious emails, if it looks fishy chances are it is.

not a hint of anything here. But, now that I have said it - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    The cute kittens email was a result of the hack......
    thanks for the feedback Rob - I was hoping the second cute kitten e-mail was from you
    Rich - Denver
    '04 R1150 GS
    '92 K75s

If your anti-virus software is a few years old it's time to upgrade.

I would also like to take a moment to mention that you can get FREE excellent anti-virus software from Microsoft. I figure that if anyone can handle keeping windows clean it's Microsoft. Another huge benefit is it doesn't bog your system down like Norton.

So update your anti-virus software and watch out for suspicious emails, if it looks fishy chances are it is.
    I'm going to add to this. If your anti-virus, anti-malware software is more than a few DAYS out of date, you need to update. Also, I'm going to disagree with Rob a bit: if Microsoft *really* knew how to keep Windows safe, they wouldn't have half the security problems they do.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good product for the price: free, but it's only available for Windows Vista or 7. According to a number of tests Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security Suite are toward the very top of independent tests. In my use of a number of different suites, Norton is almost invisible - it has technology that uses idle CPU cycles to do much of it's work. No security product gives 100% protection from all the threats today: viruses, malware, root kits, etc. An "internet security suite" adds a better firewall, dangerous website warnings, email spam detection, and other features to the typical "anti-virus" package.

Yes, you do have to pay for annual subscriptions for all the commercial products, but if you buy on sale, and get the multi-PC packages, you can get many of them for $20/PC/year - sometimes less. Just one nasty breach of your PC will cost you many times the full retail cost of any brand name security product.

Here's a pretty good article on security suites by PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp. Unfortunately Windows Defender was not included in this test.

Here are their tests of anti-virus packages: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

And, an article on how to avoid scams: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373975,00.asp

Think of a current generation security suite as ATGATT for your computer.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

P.S. AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 has tested very well for malware, rootkits, ans scareware. Key word here: free.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    thanks for the feedback Rob - I was hoping the second cute kitten e-mail was from you
    It was or the reply all with the tag as spam instructions was the one I sent.

It was or the reply all with the tag as spam instructions was the one I sent.
    Greg Feeler