• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Original BMW Tool Kit

dgarber

Just received my first street bike. It's a 1974 BMW R90/6 with 18,000 miles. Still snow on the ground here in IL, so I have to find something to do with myself other than walking around the bike constantly. It came with the original tool bag, grease rag, and a bunch of assorted tools. What I'm looking for is a picture of what the complete tool set would look like for this year and model of bike. If anyone can help me out with a pic or a list, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Doug

Not sure this will help, but this is from my 78. Having also owned a 74 R90S I can tell you that it is about the same as that bike's tool kit. My kit also has a few extras, but I think all the factory tools are there.

Attachments

• 78 tool kit.jpg
    78 tool kit.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 448
Hi,
Look at message 3. The extras I see are the adjustable wrench, the thin shock wrench (probably for Koni shocks) and the long tire pressure gauge. The stock gauge was only 3 or 4 inches long. Missing are the feeler gauge (including the one which fits the master cylinder to make sure the free play is correct - it is U-shaped with, I think, 4 normal feeler gauges attached to it) and the rag with BMW woven into it.

Missing are the feeler gauge (including the one which fits the master cylinder to make sure the free play is correct - it is U-shaped with, I think, 4 normal feeler gauges attached to it) and the rag with BMW woven into.

... and pliers, as seen below.

From Duane's website; R80GS and R80ST tool kit (but the pliers are the same (at least they are the same ones in my '73 R75/5 tool roll!))
tool13.jpg

Of course, unless you intend to "show" and want a "period correct" tool roll, what matters is having the tools you need, when you need them.

Like... the Northwoods points adjusting "set" that I carry now.

IMG_1201-338x247.jpg

copy of something sold years ago for easy setting of points. remove orginal lobed centrifugal advance, replace with this one (entire OD is same as high point of stock lobed unit), adjust points with feeler gauge, remove, reinstall cetrifugal. it lets you set the points without having to contend with the 2 centrifugal arms getting in the way..

it lets you set the points without having to contend with the 2 centrifugal arms getting in the way..

... now if someone would come up with a Quick Disconnect Front-Fork doing the whole points thing would be cake.
icon_wink.gif

Or maybe I should finally break down and buy a lift.. .

Just got my 83 R100 and need the tool kit. Besides the flea market section is there somewhere else I can find one? I recall seeing some new ones being sold for about $140, can't remember where at the moment but are they the same?

I don't know about anything else in the kit, but since the 1974 axles are smaller than on later models the wrench that fits the main bolt might be a different size.

I'm trying to buy as close to what would have come with the bike.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Buy what you can get... I doubt that anyone knows for sure.

For what it's worth, the tool roll in my '73 R75/5 LWB is tan with red edging.

seemed like a good idea to me....

I used to take pride in doing all my home maintenance on the bike using the factory tool roll. That way I knew I could tackle problems on the road, having done the work at home with the same tools.

At Tom Cutter's Q&A from Bloomsburg, he shot that theory down. The factory tools were only ever intended for emergency use road side, although very functional and of decent quality for OEM supplied kit, chances are we all have better tools in the garage. Sockets over wrenches being the obvious difference.

Now I use the best tools at hand, which generally aren't the ones on the bike.

Forgive the thread hijack, I do realize you are just concerned with getting all the shiny bits to as new status. Carry on:thumb

The tool roll on my /7 is all black including the edging. From the tool roll on my R25/2, I found out what was basically in it and bought tools from pawn shops. Motorcycle tools are a little different in that they're open end on each end and different dimensions...I think most wrenches you get are open and box on the different ends and the same size. But I was able to find the right combinations of wrenches - 12/14mm, 13/17mm, etc. - buy browsing. I bought a few special tools like the screwdriver with the bit that swaps back and forth for phillips and straight edge, a special 19mm, pliers, etc. But all in all, I came up with a pretty decent tool set (not matching!) but should work in an emergency.

I also heard Tom's comments on use of the tool kit (I missed you Gerald! :wave ). I don't use it extensively, but I do use it for some things like the pair of 13/17mm wrenches that work great to take off the jam nuts on the petcocks. Since some of my regular tools are scattered about the garage due to various projects, at least I know where my bike's tool kits are!!

I used to take pride in doing all my home maintenance on the bike using the factory tool roll. That way I knew I could tackle problems on the road, having done the work at home with the same tools.

At Tom Cutter's Q&A from Bloomsburg, he shot that theory down. The factory tools were only ever intended for emergency use road side, although very functional and of decent quality for OEM supplied kit, chances are we all have better tools in the garage. Sockets over wrenches being the obvious difference.

Now I use the best tools at hand, which generally aren't the ones on the bike.

Forgive the thread hijack, I do realize you are just concerned with getting all the shiny bits to as new status. Carry on:thumb

I would hate to disagree with Mr Cutter, but using the kit once or twice might be good for confidence & skills & would not likely wear out the tools. The "dog bone" style wrench is tough to improve on for the fork top bolts on /6.

Back