• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Requesting Your MOA Help Locating A BMW Contact For Assistance with my K1600GT Parts!

I just received a reassuring phone call from BMW of North America Representative.

If all goes as now planned, I should have my "Gisele" back home by mid-February.

I'm "glass-half-full" and an "All's Well That Ends Well" Guy, I'm hoping for the best!

I just received a reassuring phone call from BMW of North America Representative.

If all goes as now planned, I should have my "Gisele" back home by mid-February.

I'm "glass-half-full" and an "All's Well That Ends Well" Guy, I'm hoping for the best!

Have you met Mr. Murphy ?:hide

Hey if NA says the part is coming it means it. Now whether the dealer follows through is another story.

Wow, BMW coming through and doing the right thing!

I am not used to this. I am used to talking to the lady at customer service that sounded like she smoked 3 packs a day and her line was "we have never heard of that problem before", never "what would you like us to do for you?".

I want to believe that there is more good to come. I am ready after all of these years.

NA eventually was great to me when we had to lemon out my 18 month old F800S, why shouldn't it be great now! NA is not the dealership experience, either.

NA eventually was great to me when we had to lemon out my 18 month old F800S, why shouldn't it be great now! NA is not the dealership experience, either.

+1, Gunny; My Friend Jordan M. is absolutely correct on my situation. BMW North America and BMW Motorrad of Germany were absolutely fantastic!

BMW SLC - NO!

BTW, Don, as I found out then, sometimes the dealership is the problem and sometimes the problem is NA and NA fixes it. With my F800S, the problem was NA, it gave the dealer no guidance on what to do, after shut-off and lock rear wheel #3 or #4. But when 30 days were up, NA found out from me, they owed me. Then settlement proceded at a better pace.

I suspect here, SLC was the problem, not NA. LOL.

After 43 years, I will never buy another BMW Motorcycle! I'm angry as Hell at BMW!!

Sent to BMW North America 2/15/12:

Dear BMW NA,

Please give me a Delivery Status Update on my BMW K1600GT. Does BMW SLC have the coolant expansion tank and have they installed it?

Do you have the shipper set up to return my bike to Arizona and does he have a pickup date from BMW SLC and a date it will be in Chandler?

AAA Claims Supervisor Nathan Wright called me Friday and said BMW SLC is 100% paid in full. At least ship my OEM mufflers home to me!

BMW NA, we're now fully in the fifth month of my not having my BMW K1600GT. I'm so exasperated with the BMW Corporation it's not funny!

Sincerely,

Don Stanley
1061 N. Amber St.
Chandler, AZ 85225
Cell: 480-440-4666

This is very sad. I usually carry water for BMW, but in this case I really don't get it. Don has been one of their most loyal, and most vocally loyal, customers for decades. BMW would be well served to get Don a brand new K1600 as much good as he has done for their company over the years.

The fact that they cannot get him his parts on a fancy new model is pathetic.

And, like I said, I am generally one of the guys promoting BMW rather than criticizing them.

Thank you El Toro Rosso! You're right about my promoting BMW for over 43 years and never complaining about them before. I've influenced hundreds of motorcycle riders to switch over to BMW from previous brands they owned.

That's all come to an end, if anyone asks me about my K1600GT (if and when it ever returns to me!) I'll suggest they consider a Kawi, Yamaha or Honda.

I will not give up this fine K1600 GT Club, AZ Beemers, BMW MOA or BMWRA.

The wonderful friends I've met, such as You, through BMW Ownership are priceless to me. Really, you're the greatest friends a man can ever have.

But I've fully given up on the BMW Marque and I can no longer endorse BMW.

Find
A
Good
Attorney.

Dear Steve, A really good anonymous friend sent me very useful Arizona Legal Regulations:

Arizona Revised Statutes 44-1263 states:

A. If the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers are unable to conform the motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition which substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall replace the motor vehicle with a new motor vehicle or accept return of the motor vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle. The manufacturer shall make refunds to the consumer and lien holder, if any, as their interests appear. A reasonable allowance for use is that amount directly attributable to use by the consumer before his first written report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair.

Arizona Revised Statutes 44-1264 states:

A. It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if either:

1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers during the shorter of the express warranty term or the period of two years or twenty-four thousand miles following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer, whichever is earlier, but the nonconformity continues to exist.

2. The motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days during the shorter of the express warranty term or the two year period or twenty-four thousand miles, whichever is earlier.

Long story short: After 30 days - BMW was legally required to buy my K1600GT back from me!

44-1263. Inability to conform motor vehicle to express warranty; replacement of vehicle or refund of monies; affirmative defenses; tax refund

A. If the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers are unable to conform the motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition which substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall replace the motor vehicle with a new motor vehicle or accept return of the motor vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle. The manufacturer shall make refunds to the consumer and lienholder, if any, as their interests appear. A reasonable allowance for use is that amount directly attributable to use by the consumer before his first written report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair.

B. It is an affirmative defense to any claim under this article that either:

1. An alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair the use and market value of the motor vehicle.

2. A nonconformity is the result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized modifications or alterations of the motor vehicle.

The way I read it, that applies to warranty repairs, not your situation.

Regardless, BMW should have taken care of your issue already. Even if they are having an issue getting the part from the vendor, you can't tell me they don't have a K1600 in inventory anywhere and that one couldn't have been an expansion tank donor to get your bike back on the road.

I don't know how specific they were about a mid-febuary delivery of the bike, but considering today is the fifteenth, they could still hit that target if you give them a + 1 week window. That is assuming the tank has been delivered.

Hope your luck changes on this mess.

44-1263. Inability to conform motor vehicle to express warranty; replacement of vehicle or refund of monies; affirmative defenses; tax refund

A. If the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers are unable to conform the motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition which substantially impairs the use and value of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall replace the motor vehicle with a new motor vehicle or accept return of the motor vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle. The manufacturer shall make refunds to the consumer and lienholder, if any, as their interests appear. A reasonable allowance for use is that amount directly attributable to use by the consumer before his first written report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair.

B. It is an affirmative defense to any claim under this article that either:

1. An alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair the use and market value of the motor vehicle.

2. A nonconformity is the result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized modifications or alterations of the motor vehicle.

The way I read it, that applies to warranty repairs, not your situation.

Regardless, BMW should have taken care of your issue already. Even if they are having an issue getting the part from the vendor, you can't tell me they don't have a K1600 in inventory anywhere and that one couldn't have been an expansion tank donor to get your bike back on the road.

I don't know how specific they were about a mid-febuary delivery of the bike, but considering today is the fifteenth, they could still hit that target if you give them a + 1 week window. That is assuming the tank has been delivered.

Hope your luck changes on this mess.

Dear rxcrider, Thank you much for the additional information; it is indeed appreciated.

The last thing on Earth that I want is a fight with BMW, especially not in a legal sense.

BMW motorcycles have been a complete part of my life - for the last 43 years out of 63!

Often on Wednesday's we Old Retired Guys in AZ Beemers will get together for a lunch.

As I threw my leg over my Yamaha FJR 1300 I could not escape thinking that I should be riding my BMW K1600GT to a BMW Club Meeting, not a Yamaha. And naturally, the topic of conversation at lunch was a running joke as to when my K16 will return home.

Since I had a massive heart attack in 2005, 3 blockages in my arteries, half of the AZB Old Geezers are betting that I'll actually croak before my BMW K1600GT returns to me.

Sounds like a supply problem not a quality problem.
New model does take time to fill spares bin
BMW should be more helpful
Dealer has his money no incentive
Know guys who have waited a lot longer for auto parts exotic cars
NEVER PAY TILL JOB DONE

Back