• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best book I've read in a while

Right or privilage

Hello again I hope this doesen't keep going too much.
Mark I wasn't criticizing your book . I do make use of all the information I can gather on a subject I'm trying to learn about or have a passion for. That's hoew i landed in BMWOS. I saw my RT in a friends used car lot at what I thought was a good priceand told him if he still had it in a few weeks I's be interested. I ended up in the deal before I had a chance to research the bike. I found a wealth of info in this forum and a person who was kind enough to email me a wiring diagram and schematic for the '99 RT. So I joined as a way of pay back and future needs. I keep my mouth shut usually unless I were to hear someone telling something I know to be dangerous or completely off track. There seems to be plenty of experience around.
Anyway I guess I was caught off guard by the thread. "best book read in a while" followed by the opinions . buttonholeing cruiser riders as irresponsible and wreckless. Hell until a few days ago I didn't even know I was a cruiser rider. So I sorta unloaded for all the bs I had heard deriding the people dressed like pirates or beach bums as they rode.I don't think riding is a privilage, as that denotes something you can do with someones permission rather than a right fought and died for so we are free to express or be ourselves. I am responsible for all my actions that is why I carry insurance and try to keep my bike in tip top shape. But 90% of the bikes I get on are in need of or just plain dangerous ( work in a MC shop). I don't always have the luxury of fixing all the things I see wrong. But if you want to ride a motorcycle that is potencially (sp?) danerous I know its your right as an adult and I will try to make you more aware.
I think I was trying to get across a live and let live attitude. The world is getting to intrusive in peoples choices. I just don't want it in my riding and will probably always spout off when I feel it encroaching what I consider mine. I am afraid of the folks who are always screaming for or blindly accepting "LAWS" forcing things that should be a choice or just plain not allowed . there are too many more than willing to use motorcycle enthusiasts as an excuse to enact restrictions on everybody.
Ahh I've done it again too much opinion . I'm going out. Lets just ride and enjoy this life while we can. there are those that would have us in seatbelts and crash bags for our own protection. I may not agree with your need for full body armor and helmets but I'll fight and die for your right to do it.
Later, Eric

I grok you Elm.Say no more,say no more!!(BTW that is a line from a Monty Python skit ,it doesn't mean Elm should say no more,it means we know what we know).Kay?

IMy favorite book lately comes from Melissa Holbrook Pierson... She wrote "The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles".

[Jimmy

I loved the book and passed it along to some of my riding friends. It's a bit of a cautionary tale as to how far someone can get into any activity for good or bad...
Mac

Back