• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thinking of taking the plunge. Need input

pfoushee

Anyone gone from the 1200rt to the GT1600 in particular, or the GTL? Care to share any particular feelings about the differences? Seating ergonomics, comfort, etc. Sure would appreciate it. Can't seem to find a K1600GT to demo.

Last edited:
Anyone gone from the 1200rt to the GT1600 in particular, or the GTL? Care to share any particular feelings about the differences? Seating ergonomics, comfort, etc. Sure would appreciate it. Can't seem to find a K1600GT to demo.

Everyone's opinion is personal and may be different. One can also speak all day about the vast technical differences between the two and that may or may not mean anything to the listener.

I moved from R12RT to K16GT and am totally happy with the decision. My minimal 5'7" stature required the low seat on the RT and that was a really uncomfortable position to be in for me, cramped fore-and-aft to say the least. I still have a low seat on my K16GT but even with that the cockpit is much more roomy. The K16GT is 200 pounds heavier that the RT but that only really applies when pushing or paddling it; I'm getting the same fuel mileage with the 6 as with the Boxer twin!

Beyond the physical, every sensory input from the K16GT is a seduction in the best sense of the word. Sorry, but that sealed the deal for me. After all, isn't motorcycle riding all about emotion? It is for me!

BTW, I demo'd the GTL and, knowing the subtle but important differences between that and the GT, needed no further "encouragement". :thumb

Everyone's opinion is personal and may be different. One can also speak all day about the vast technical differences between the two and that may or may not mean anything to the listener.

I moved from R12RT to K16GT and am totally happy with the decision. My minimal 5'7" stature required the low seat on the RT and that was a really uncomfortable position to be in for me, cramped fore-and-aft to say the least. I still have a low seat on my K16GT but even with that the cockpit is much more roomy. The K16GT is 200 pounds heavier that the RT but that only really applies when pushing or paddling it; I'm getting the same fuel mileage with the 6 as with the Boxer twin!

Beyond the physical, every sensory input from the K16GT is a seduction in the best sense of the word. Sorry, but that sealed the deal for me. After all, isn't motorcycle riding all about emotion? It is for me!

BTW, I demo'd the GTL and, knowing the subtle but important differences between that and the GT, needed no further "encouragement". :thumb

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of input I want. Technical I can read. The feeling and sensory experience is what I pay for. I want to order a GT, but am trying to hold off until I can ride one. Had a GS, but never made it off road. I don't think the weight will bother as the GT weighs a 100lbs less than my last two Harley's.

Are your feet any closer to the ground than on the RT?

Philip

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and on my RT I was always on my toes at a stop, even after replacing the stock seat with a Sargent. I have the GTL with the high seat, and I'm flatfooted, and loving it! The bars are a bit further back than the RT, and the pegs a little lower. The differences for me are the lack of vibration, smoothness of powering up, terrific (Ferrari) sound, and all the electronics.

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of input I want. Technical I can read. The feeling and sensory experience is what I pay for. I want to order a GT, but am trying to hold off until I can ride one. Had a GS, but never made it off road. I don't think the weight will bother as the GT weighs a 100lbs less than my last two Harley's.

Are your feet any closer to the ground than on the RT?

Philip

Yes, not because the seat height is any less (30.7" low seat in low position on the GT) but because the bike width is narrower at the seat. Less structure to reach around to get from the seat to the ground.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and on my RT I was always on my toes at a stop, even after replacing the stock seat with a Sargent. I have the GTL with the high seat, and I'm flatfooted, and loving it! The bars are a bit further back than the RT, and the pegs a little lower. The differences for me are the lack of vibration, smoothness of powering up, terrific (Ferrari) sound, and all the electronics.

With 30" inseam, rt leaves me up on the balls of my feet. I can handle it because of my experience, but I don't prefer it. Have sat on GTl. Easily flat footed. Really interested in the Gt though. Have not even seen one yet,much less been able to demo. Sure would like to order, but hesitant.

Yes, not because the seat height is any less (30.7" low seat in low position on the GT) but because the bike width is narrower at the seat. Less structure to reach around to get from the seat to the ground.

That is what I wanted to hear. After sitting on the GTL, I suspected it might be that way, but was unsure.

It is not so smooth, that it becomes "soulless", is it? I know that may sound silly, but it does cross my mind.

That is what I wanted to hear. After sitting on the GTL, I suspected it might be that way, but was unsure.

It is not so smooth, that it becomes "soulless", is it? I know that may sound silly, but it does cross my mind.

Call it anything else but don't call it soulless! That's the Goldwing... :snore

Well it looks like I will get to sit on a 1600GT tomorrow or Tuesday. Dealer is building the crate now. Will not get to demo it, as it belongs to a buyer. Still, I am very much looking forward to it.

I have been riding my K1600gt for about 1 month. I went from a 1150RT to the GT. The gt riding position is allot like the RT where the GTL is more upright and goldwing like. I did get to sit on both and test ride a GT before buying. I have a 30" inseam and get the balls of my feet on the ground with the standard seat set in the low position, the same as my RT. This bike has soul. Every time I roll on the throttle the sound and acceleration make me laugh like a little kid. The handling is much better than the RT, it rolls into the corners quicker, maintains a line with very little input, and is very stable. I am happy with the stock seat so far and the comfort level is better than my RT. The hand protection is not as good as the RT (more wind on the hands) and I see my elbows in the mirrors where I did not on the RT. I would not give this bike up now though, I love this bike!!!

There simply isn't' that much difference between the GT, and GTL. I took both on a one hour test drive in Reno when the Demo truck was there.

I road the GTL without the top case. Those that think there is a big difference simply amaze me. With the options you get with the GTL, I think it is by far the better value. YMMV

Go For It ...

My 2012 K1600 GT is an amazing machine. Took delivery on November 17, 2011. Rode RT's for many miles and thought the RT was the only moto to own ... NOT SO ! My GT is comfortable, my feet rest flat on the ground when stopped (I am 5' 11" tall), I notice no difference in the weight between my R1200RT ... it is balanced perfectly. The added weight however helps with stability when on the highway and dealing with cross winds from trucks, or when crossing high bridges (I live and ride in Florida). I had the opportunity of riding both the GTL and the GT, each for an hour or more. Regardless of what others may say, in my opinion, the GTL is uncomfortable ... the stock seat is nasty ... pushes you forward and crushes one's "jewels", and there is no forward lean ... you seem to sit straight up much like a Goldwing. The windshield on the GTL was a nighmare for me ... as even in the full down position, it hit me in the pupils of my eyes, causing distortion of my field of vision (again, my opinion). Everything written about the electronics is accurate ... and amazing. Mine is tricked out ... GT top case, Engline Guards, and other things. My Garmon IV from the R1200RT fits perfectly in the GT. Engine feel is different ... 1st gear is powerful and unlike the R1200RT boxer engines where I needed to downshift into 1st gear when making a hard turn at a light, a slow hard turn is smooth as silk in 2nd gear. I am delighted with this fine machine and my advice is to find a dealer who will extend a test ride to you and then go for it ...
Best regards, Ricoefamoso

This discussion has been very helpful. Tomorrow I am doing the 21/2 hour ride to the BMW dealer to look at the GT and GTL. I am giving serious consideration to trading my 1200RT in on the GT. The dealer has a GTL demo but only a owner GT. I will be able to ride the GTL but only sit on the GT. I am more interested in the GT, but concerned about the riding position. If it is similar to the RT then I am ok. If it is to "sporty" or too much forward lean then I will stick to the RT. I like to ride 8 hours/days, so riding comfort is a high priority.

I have read a lot of the post on this forum on this subject and it seems that those that have switched from RT to 1600 GT have been very satisfied. Any comments would be helpful before I make a decision in the next week or so.

I only got to test ride a GTL before making my decision to buy a GT. My dealer was very kind to me about loaning their demo bike and gave it to me over the Thanksgiving break for 5 days during which I put several hundred miles on it. I really think the GT and GTL are two different bikes based on the same bones. My motivation is to be comfortable for all day and multi-day rides of a "connect the twisties" type of profile. The more athletic ergos on the GT combined with the more performance oriented ESA map made it the right choice for me. I've also found it to be very comfortable in the saddle all day - with the stock factory GT seat.

You won't regret either choice but I couldn't be happier with the GT. This thing is a terrain following missile that loves to be ridden hard and offers up one of the most comfortable cockpits on any bike anywhere in which to spend they day, or week, or more. I still keep pinching myself that there's one sitting in my garage.

After my cold (32-39) 21/2 hour ride to the dealer yesterday I was informed that he sold the demo GTL so I could not ride it. I had confirmed he had the demo at 4:00 the day before. So I could only sit on a GT and GTL. After sitting on both for some time I think it is a pretty close call, but I think I will go for the GTL which I think will offer better long term comfort for my size. So I am now shopping for a GTL. Hope to find one in the next month or so.

That is indeed unfortunate that you did not have a chance to ride the demo bike. I took the plunge on a GTL and picked it up about one week ago. For me it was the correct choice. Good Luck...

Rick H.

After sitting on both for some time I think it is a pretty close call, .

I was debating one or the other also. Especially as you can not find a GT model that is not loaded with all three packages, which hikes up the price and if you add the two accessories the GTL has - topcase and additional lights - the GT may come out more expensive. But when I sat on both, the seating position definitely sold me on the GT. I don't think the ergonomics are close. You need to really determine what works for you and then you may have only one choice.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my statement, I do not want to mislead anyone. The riding position on the two bikes is distinctly different. The close call for me was whether I could be comfortable on the GT for a 8 hour ride. My conclusion is that it is possible I could be comfortably on the GT but highly likely on the GTL. The GTL has a clearly more relaxed riding position that the GT. So the close call was on should I buy the GT. As we all know it all depends on our physical size and riding style. As much as I like to GT it will be the GTL for me.

Finally bit the bullet today and put a deposit down on a GTL in stock at a out of state dealer. Unfortunately I will have to wait for the weather to improve before I can pick it up. I have to ride over two 7,000 ft mountain passes in order to reach the dealer and trade my RT. Maybe I will have to rent a trailer instead. After all of the great reviews on this forum and others I am anxious to experience the GTL, even though I am a little reluctant to part with the RT. I have an appointment with Russel in California in mid May to have a seat made. Then it will be touring the west for a good part of the summer.

Back