Thread: Speedometer and odometer quit '02 R1150GS

Speedometer and odometer quit '02 R1150GS

I was riding out in Big Bend the other week. All systems go. I awoke and left the hotel and noticed that my speedometer and odometer quit working. It worked fine up till the day before. I have it scheduled to go in to dealership. What would cause it to quit suddenly? Also, how do you folks feel about dealership (bmw) scheduled maint at prescribed mileage (like mine at 32k miles)?
    Thanks
    Paul
    R1150GS 2002

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tthouses View Post
    I was riding out in Big Bend the other week. All systems go. I awoke and left the hotel and noticed that my speedometer and odometer quit working. It worked fine up till the day before. I have it scheduled to go in to dealership. What would cause it to quit suddenly? Also, how do you folks feel about dealership (bmw) scheduled maint at prescribed mileage (like mine at 32k miles)?
    Thanks
    Paul
    R1150GS 2002
    Hi Paul, you will probably do a little better on this post with the year and model in the title-I'll add it for you. Good Luck. Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Broken cable

or

Wheel ring tabs disengaged from speedo drive unit.

I've seen both happen suddenly.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by tthouses View Post
    Also, how do you folks feel about dealership (bmw) scheduled maint at prescribed mileage (like mine at 32k miles)?
    Scheduled maintenance at prescribed mileage is a very good thing. You can save a lot of money doing it yourself if you have the ability and desire. Otherwise the dealer will be happy to do it for you.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS

speedo

Third possibility in addition to Paul's causes:
    cable has worked loose from back of speedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    Third possibility in addition to Paul's causes:
    cable has worked loose from back of speedometer.
    I've seen that happen too. But usually that is one tight little knurled cylinder that holds the top of the cable sheath in place.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

thanks folks..

jduke
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Wheel ring tabs disengaged from speedo drive unit.
    +1, my 01 had the speedo pickup ring in the FD and it worked one second and was broke the next.