• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tier 1 Gasoline

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Tier 1 Gasoline in a term that popped up recently. In the "old" days I had confirmed to my own satisfaction that Gas was Gas and it all came out of the same supply tank at the distribution yard. Recently I was told that there is now a difference in the quality/grade of gas between say a Mobil or Shell station and a convenience store pump.
I buy most of my gas and diesel at Extra Mart (convenience store) here locally and it has all been fine. A little searching on the web is unclear as to whether there is a difference or not. A buddy of mine does quite a bit of haz-mat/pollution control at a local terminal and says that there are now 3 tiers of gas. Supposedly my bike will eventually suffer from running "unbranded" gas unless I use something like Techron regularly.
Has anyone have any words of wisdom on this? TIA Gary

Good question, it's been recommended by several Porsche and BMW auto service centers that tier one gas be used, locally they recommend Chevron, I always stay with a major brand whenever possible. I carry a bottle of Techron in my side bag mixed with Stabil marine.(purple) Pour in a 1oz of the mixture at each fill up if i'am using a off brand of fuel, sometimes you have no choice of fuel scource.

I personally think it is a marketing ploy more than anything else. I've used whatever was cheap and handy since I started driving and riding in 1962 and I have never had a fuel related problem. I do try to buy gas where it turns over quickly. The gas all comes from the same place but the individual purchasers add the detergents and mix the ethanol in when they load. They use different combinations but I don't think there is a lot of difference.

I think it's a lot like GM "recommending" that their new cars use GM dexos oils. I did some research and found out GM sells the oil companies the rights to put it on their oil containers and it is not a reflection of the quality of the oil. Many oils that refused to pay into this extortion attempt has as good or better oil than the GM dexos oil.

I hate it when someone bribes or extorts companies into scaring people into buying a certain product.

All gas is the same as it is refined by the same process. the difference between a name brand (top tier) and convince store gas is the additive/detergent package that is added to the refined product by each individual brand.

All gas is the same as it is refined by the same process. the difference between a name brand (top tier) and convince store gas is the additive/detergent package that is added to the refined product by each individual brand.
That is sorta what it sounds like. There was an f800 apart in the shop and it had enough of a build-up on the valves that it required service. BMW has been recommending their private label bottle of Techron for some time.

i've heard a lot of internet chit chat about gas, where it comes from, etc.
near as i can tell it is largely BS. having said that, i almost always buy Sunoco for the bikes (when available), and go for the highest octane i can get. maybe it's purely psychological, but it seems the bikes run better on the Sunoco 93 than on other gas.

here's some internet info on top tier gasoline from Wiki:

"Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a designation given to participating Gasoline brands in the U.S. and Canada that meet voluntary industry standards.

History

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced the minimum gasoline detergent standard [1] in 1995 and soon after most gasoline marketers who had previously provided higher levels of detergents reduced the concentration level of detergents in commercial gasoline to meet the new standard. Whether the higher detergent levels were necessary remains disputed. The levels required are necessary to meet emissions standards but not engine longevity standards.

In 2004 BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota established a proprietary standard for a class of gasoline called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline with increased levels of detergents. Volkswagen/Audi joined the consortium in 2007.

Gas brands can participate and get Top Tier listing if they meet certain standards."

the consensus is still out on the concept, it seems. seems there is a school of thought that says top-tier, detergent gasoline can decrease carbon build-up and add to engine longevity. i wonder how/if ethanol fits into the equation?

the whole bit sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

If that had read, "Chevron, BP. Shell, and Arco established a standard ... " I would certainly think marketing ploy. But why would "BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota..." dream up a ploy to market specific brands of gasoline. That doesn't compute to me.

Along these lines..........

A few weeks ago, I had something happen that hasn't happened in years........I got a bad tank of gas. It was a real shock. I had to do the the whole injector cleaner and dry gas routine until I burned the bad stuff.

Funny, but I can remember as a kid, carrying dry gas all the time (especially in winter) and routinely dealing with a stumbling idol and nursing the throttle until you worked the bad stuff through the system. But, that was in a VW Beetle, so I could also curse the lack of heat.

So, yes, things are better today......

A few weeks ago, I had something happen that hasn't happened in years........I got a bad tank of gas. It was a real shock. I had to do the the whole injector cleaner and dry gas routine until I burned the bad stuff.

Funny, but I can remember as a kid, carrying dry gas all the time (especially in winter) and routinely dealing with a stumbling idol and nursing the throttle until you worked the bad stuff through the system. But, that was in a VW Beetle, so I could also curse the lack of heat.

So, yes, things are better today......

And I still carry a bottle of IsoHeet in the red bottle (isopropyl alcohol) when traveling. We have gotten doses of water a couple of times in the past two years.

Many years ago, I worked for a oil/gas distributor. All of the gas that went to the gas stations, whether it was Mobil, Chevron, etc were all the same gas. The only one that was different was Sunoco. Today, things are different. Distributors have different blends for summer and winter. Some have no alcohol where others have 10%. If the pump doesn't have a 10% sticker on the pump, it is pure gas (rule might be different in some states). Or, it is suppose to be pure gas. As most of us know, the oil industry is not the most honest group of people. You can only hope that they meet the minimum. Most state officials only check the pumps to make sure that when you pump 5 gallons of gas, you are getting 5 gallons of gas. The quality of the gas is still like the "Wild West".

All gas stations get water in their tanks. This comes from condensation on the tank walls. They are suppose to stick the tanks every day and check for the level of water at the bottom of the tank with a chemical paste. If the water level gets too high, they have to pump out some of the water. Some do check, where others don't. If you get water in your gas, the gas station is liable for reasonable damages. Your rights vary from state-to-state. In New York, the gas station owner is screwed if the state learns of customers getting water in their gas.

From what I understand, Sunoco still does quality blending. For the most part, the rest have the same stuff. I am sure there are a few exceptions to the rule. Like I said, it has been quite a few years since I worked in that field. But, I would guess that not much has changed.

I buy the cheapest gas I can get. I plan ahead in various directions for the best price,e.g., when I'm over Osbornk's way/VA, I can get from E.KY to the Flying J & use my RV 2cent discount card + the best price!:thumb on one tank from home in a car/truck. On my bike that way I have to bite the bullet & buy some before then. When I go down the Blue Grass PKWY in KY toward Nashville, I but near the TN/KY state line as always less. When I go straight shot south I buy near the TN/KY state line again as always much less, then again just above Chatt,TN as always less there.
During one of the recent BS gas inflations(also known as getting ripped off) it went up 40cents gal in/near Lexington,KY over the holidays. The news told us it was because the Iranians were saying they might block the gulf. A letter from a truck driver(I remember CNN/Wolf Blitzer during the sniper ordeal saying "what does a truck driver know?", well this one drives the KY/TN south route every day & he knew that the people in TN were not afraid of the Iranians cause the gas didn't go up 40cents there, in fact stayed the same!
Now, I know none of this is technical but I know nothing of refinery stuff or distribution, but other than one dose of water in the gas I have zero problems getting a speeding ticket with the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on. Always amazes me the people that pull into the place next door & pay lots more. Maybe they are "tier 1 gas addicted"?

I buy the cheapest gas I can get. I plan ahead in various directions for the best price,e.g., when I'm over Osbornk's way/VA, I can get from E.KY to the Flying J & use my RV 2cent discount card + the best price

If you're over my way on I-81, you can get 100% gas at Rouse Oil at the Chilhowie, Va exit #35. It is just across the RR tracks toward Chilhowie. You can also get 100% gas at the Marathon near the RR tracks in Marion between exit 45 and 47 on Rt11/Rt16.

And just because it has a sticker on the pump saying "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" don't assume ANY accuracy on that statement as far as the station operator is concerned. I have read reports of fuel in tanks being checked for Ethanol and finding 15% and higher at pumps labelled as 10%. Better to avoid all Ethanol when possible, especilly if your bike will sit idle for any length of time.

If you are buying fuel and intending to use up that tank of fuel within two weeks (depending on where you are in the country) then other than lower fuel mileage using Ethanol is no big deal. But if your bike sits for weeks unridden I would not allow any Ethanol blended fuel to sit in the bike.

And just because it has a sticker on the pump saying "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" don't assume ANY accuracy on that statement as far as the station operator is concerned. I have read reports of fuel in tanks being checked for Ethanol and finding 15% and higher at pumps labelled as 10%. Better to avoid all Ethanol when possible, especilly if your bike will sit idle for any length of time.

If you are buying fuel and intending to use up that tank of fuel within two weeks (depending on where you are in the country) then other than lower fuel mileage using Ethanol is no big deal. But if your bike sits for weeks unridden I would not allow any Ethanol blended fuel to sit in the bike.

Andy,

Assuming you did get some 15% ethanol gasoline blend......that would only be a 4.75% reduction in mileage from 100% gasoline. On my 42MPG R11RS, that's a loss of 2MPG. I gave up more MPG when I bypassed the CAT plug.

Ethanol blends will reduce energy content, but the reductions are small.

ethanol

In Wisconsin, about 6 months ago, some of the stations started advertising no ethanol premium gas. The Kwik Trip stations sell it as recreation fuel, at 91 octane. The other stations sell it at 93 octane. With 7 stations in town, all of them are within a penny in price for regular gas. The kwik Trip is about a dime cheaper for the no ethanol. Up here the Kwik Trip and Shell are advertised as Top Tier gas. Last Labor Day I rode to Dallas TX. on my 85, R80RT. Aways into Illinois I needed to fill up. About 10 miles away the bike wouldn't rev past 5 grand and idle at all. Another fill up and not much improvement. Just as I crossed into Missouri, I needed gas again. Non of the gas at this station had ethanol in it . About 5 miles from the station the bike ran better. When I stop for the night, it would idle on it's own. In the morning it ran as if nothing had been wrong the day before. My guess is I ended up with more ethanol than the bike could burn at the first station. The second station didn't dilute the first tankfull enough. If the bike had fuel injection, the antiknock sensors would have changed the spark advance enough that it would have ran better. I set the carbs on no ethanol gas. While on the trip I could hear the engine back fire into the pipes on deceleration, not loud, just a bit. When I returned home and started using the no ethanol gas again, the backfiring stopped. Before I take another long trip I will reset the carbs using ethanol gas at 87 octane. frank coleman

bad gas

Bob I only have my experiences to go by. I have found that with gas that has water in it, it will settle in the fuel bowl and not dissipate. It will get to the point that the motor will not run if enough water gets in it. My thoughts being that the main jets draw off the lower part of the fuel bowl,and the idle circuit and low speed running draw off the surface area of what is the fuel bowl. The poor high speed running could be from water in the bottom of the bowl, but it also would not idle and accelerated poorly. The water has never dissipated itself. I did not use HEET or another product in it, but the bike improved on it's own. It is just how I figured things to be and I could be wrong, but I will keep reading and learning more. frank coleman

Back