• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

02 K1200LT - Brake fluid question

I'd say it doesn't help.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, i.e., it attracts and absorbs moisture. Moisture in brake fluid is bad because:

a) compromised brake fluid can, if sufficiently heated, form pockets of steam. Steam is compressible, so the brakes get spongy; and

b) moisture will cause corrosion of brake system components. Because brake fluid is lighter than water, the moisture collects in the lower parts of the system: the calipers and flexible lines. Down low in the system is where the most severe effects will be found.

Changing the fluid in the reservoir will prevent neither of these results. The reservoir doesn't get hot, and if the reservoir's rubber bellows gasket is OK water doesn't collect there.

My anecdotal evidence is this: in bikes and cars since the early 70s, I've regularly changed brake fluid as recommended. In none of these vehicles (with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on both types) have I had to rebuild or replace any hydraulic brake system component except pads.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone chimes in with "I haven't changed brake fluid in 6 million miles and my brakes are fine." This is a YMMV situation; I choose to flush the systems regularly.

And if, perchance, the OP question is can I suck it out of the reservoir and just refill the reservoir...

That's what I thought the OP was asking.

Last edited:
I don't understand the question, and I also don't remember for sure what brake system that year model has.

But, if it is an ABSII system with a single fluid circuit then pouring in the reservoir and bleeding out the wheel caliper flushes the whole system, with the bit remaining able to be extracted at the bleed nipples atop the ABS unit. So if that is the system then yes, that's the way I do it.

If it is whizzy (power) brakes then there are two seperate fluid circuits. In at the handlebar reservoir and out at the ABS unit will do half the job. But in at the unit and out at the wheel calipers is also necessary - along with a special reservoir at the add point. In this case the OP question would be the easy half of the job.

And if, perchance, the OP question is can I suck it out of the reservoir and just refill the reservoir, the only time that really does any good is when a dishonest seller just does it that way so it isn't obvious to a buyer that the fluid in the system looks like old coffee or chocolate syrup and is junk.

I'd suggest checking out the BMWLT.com forums on this issue; my 2003 K12 has the integrated braking system, a totally different thing from the ABS2 systems on my K11s...

There's a lot of insight there for K12 owners.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
2003 K12LT
1995 K11LT
1993 KllLT
199l K75RT

Replace all of the brake fluid. Anything less is a waste of time and brake fluid. And, over time, leads to compromised braking. Not Good.

On the 2002 LT the handle bar reservoir only controls the ABS circut. The front & rear brake circut reservoirs are under the rear seat on the far right side. You need to remove the seat & side panel to get to them.

You have to replace the brake fluid for the ABS circuits as well as the wheel circuits. Make sure that you do not get any air in the lines or you will have to reset the codes and your brakes will not work correctly presenting you with a dangerous situation. Replacing the brake fluid is not a difficult task. There are numerous articles in the Tech section (BMWLT.com website) describing the process.

Also you need to replace the Fluid in the Clutch reservoir. That is a much easier process because the Clutch is not monitored by the on board computer system and flushing it is very simple. But you also need to make certain that you do not cause air to get in the lines.

Pop off the reservoir caps of both the brake and clutch (not at the same time though) have your bike on the center stand and level! Place quarters over the hole in the bottom of each reservoir (this prevents fluid from spraying all over your bike when you squeeze the levers) also remember to remove the quarters before putting the reservoir caps back on.

Good luck and have fun! I flush my circuits every year.

If you do not flush your circuits, the water that is absorbed by the fluid gets into the reservoirs, the ABS circuits and the calipers and the corrosion will ruin your components. You do not want to have to buy a new ABS circuit! About $1,000 new! And the repair requires running the diagnostic analyzer to check for faults and to clear the codes! No problem if you have the GS-911 device, but a dealer trip if you don't.

Back