• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does BMW need a water cooled boxer?

Mmmm, Porsche Turbo. Liquid cooling, which the one in the picture is not, gave the young upcoming professional a more, shall we say refined driving experience. Porsche managed to get much more out of their engines with liquid cooling with the benefit of quieting things down to the point where you can hear the turbo(s) and not the howl of the cooling fan under accelleration. I wrenched on many of the old ones and liquid cooling does have many advantages and complexities. I cannot imagine my R1200RT being much quieter, but I would welcome a wet clutch as a by product of this and more torque and horsepower, though not necessary I would never turn it down. I would love to see a return of a friggen' normal drain and fill plug for the final drive, ala the Kawasaki C-14 which takes maybe 10 minutes to R&R the fliud, that is if you drink two beers in the process.

101516;744861I would love to see a return of a friggen' normal drain and fill plug for the final drive said:
This is the case for the later model BMWs from 2009 on. A real drain plug and a real fill port on the latest models. This did take a while, but the original concept was a lifetime fill of gear oil for the rear drive. It took a while to re-tool and use up existing stock.

Back