• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Givi Top box on GS tail rack

Bobonli

I received a Givi monokey topbox for Christmas to mount on my 2012 GS. The mounting kit arrived today and step one says to remove the existing tail rack. It seems there are two methods to mount the Givi boxes: an assembly that replaces the existing tail rack and one that bolts onto of it. The first type replaces the existing rack with a pair of arm and a bowl that attached to the bottom of the top box.

I bought this so I could take the box on and off and still be able to strap stuff onto the tail rack when the top cases isn't practical. If I remove the tail rack, I'll be left with just the Givi oval base.

I think I've been convinced that the first mounting method is more stable because it's a separate set of mounts just for this purpose, versus bolting the case atop the factory tail, which seems pretty plastic and raises the center of gravity of the box.

Does anyone have a Givi monokey mounted on their GS? I'm anxious to learn whether you can still strap bags/cargo onto the Givi bowl when the box is not attached. I don't want to sacrifice cargo strapping capability just to have a top box; for example, I might want to go off-road and throw a duffle bag back there. Pictures would be helpful to me in deciding whether to return the Givi.

Thanks.

Back