• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Holding my battery charge on R1150GS

jbarron4

I recently purchased a 2001 R1150GS and don't have access to electrical for hooking up a battery tender. I have a gel battery and would like to know about how long I can expect the battery to hold its charge. The bike's stored in a garage with winter temps inside ranging from 50 down to 30. I'd like to be able to have it last for at least one week

Last edited:
A good battery should easily last a week.
Be sure to go for a good ride at higher RPM when you do take it out.
(don't expect to properly recharge idling in city traffic)
If you end up with a problem with battery discharging over a longer period and want to keep it up with no Tender, you can charge up a good car battery at home and backfeed the bike thru the power port. Be sure to observe the correct polarity! +to+ -to-
What you are doing is increasing the capacity of the bikes battery with the car one.
A few cautions:
- Only connect the 2 together when the bikes battery is fully charged or near so (if the bike battery is discharged you may blow the 15A accessory fuse.)
- Don't turn on or try to crank the bike when the car battery is connected.
- Protect the plug on the car battery end when unplugged.
- A basic knowledge of electrical is required

This could also be an option if they have one set up for gel cel battteries

http://batterytender.com/solar.html

I just sent them a message asking about their absorption and float voltages for each model including the solar models. I'll add a post when I get a response.

Last edited:
Back