• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

California 2012 Traffic Fines...

lmo1131

Please be extremely careful in your driving and car registration & insurance matters. State of California is broke and they are trying hard to squeeze all of us hard to collect money. Effective immediately, if you do not stop at the red light, be ready to pay $436 in fines or if you pass a school bus with flashing red signals, you will be charged $616. The state of California is going for blood, so be extra careful in driving, You cannot afford messing with them. I have been hearing that Highway Patrols are under pressure to issue a lot more tickets than last year with at least 30% increase in fines over 2009, so beware of radar guns, highway and traffic cameras installed everywhere and the tougher enforcement of parking rules.

Just for your info, the next time you park in the handicapped zone, even for a minute, you will be looking at almost $ 1000 in parking tickets, so it'd better be worth it.

California needs money, so pay close attention to the rules of the road!

Traffic Ticket Fines (Effective 01/06/2012)

VC 12814.6 > $214
Failure to obey license provisions.

VC 14600(A) > $214
Failure to notify DMV of address change within 10 days
Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 16028(A) > $796
Failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility (insurance)
Note: This fine may be reduced with proof of insurance on or after the violation date.

VC 21453(A) > $436
Failure to stop at a red signal.

VC 22349 > $214
Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the limit.

VC 22350 > $328
Unsafe speed, 16 to 25 miles over the limit.

VC 22450 > $214
Failure to stop at a stop sign.

VC 22454(A) > $616
Passing a school bus with flashing red signals.

VC 23123(A) > $148
Driving while using a wireless phone not hands free, first offense.

VC 23123(B) > $256
Driving while using a wireless phone not hands not free, each subsequent offense.

VC 23123.5 > $148
Driving while using a wireless device to send, read or write text.

VC 23124 > $148
Minor driving while using a wireless phone.

VC 22500 > $976
Parking in a bus loading area.

VC 22507(A) > $976
Violation of disabled parking provisions, first offense.

VC 22507(B) > $1876
Violation of disabled parking provisions, second offense.

VC 26708 > $178
Unlawful material on vehicle windows.

VC 27150 > $178
Adequate muffler required.

VC 27315 > $148
Mandatory use of seat belts.

VC 27360 > $436
Mandatory use of passenger child restraints.
Note: This fine may be reduced by completing a court authorized child seat diversion program.

VC 27400 > $178
Headsets or Earplugs covering both ears.

VC 27803 > $178
Violation of motorcycle safety helmet requirements.

VC 34506 > $616
Commercial Driver - Log book violation.

VC 4000 > $256
No evidence of current registration.
Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof ofcorrection.

VC 4159 > $178
Notify DMV of change of address within 10 days.
Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 5200 > $178
Proper display of license plates.
Note: The fine may be r educed with valid proof of correction.

I believe these are the base fines, and considerable (as much as 50%) is added for other 'fees'?

Nothing out of line there by Province of Ontario standards.

No proof of insurance: $5000

Under the "stunt driving" legislation, a wheelie, more than 50 km (30mph) over the limit or racing gets the vehicle (no matter who it belongs to) impounded for one week and a fine of up to $10000. Usual first fine for 50 km over seems to be about $2000.

Last edited:
Most of these fines end up being enhanced to triple or more than the base fine. When you see all of the fee's, assessments, etc., it means a lot of cash. Some of the fee's, such as the court security fee are added/listed several times, sometimes adding up to more than the base fine.

And CHP is running radar on the freeways, but everyone I've seen has been parked in plain site and at a very obvious location.

The one that I find scary is

VC 22349 > $214
Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the limit.

Fine starts at 1 mile an hour over the limit. Yikes! All California needs to be back in the black is an army of Barney Fifes.

Thanks for the warning.

excessive speed fines

When manufacturer's instruments are accurate, then being written up for a slight bit over the posted speed limit may be fair. With most OEM speedos, however, the rider can only know his/her "approximate" speed. Surely the CHP wouldn't write you up for a couple mph 'over' :scratch
Harley Davidson seems to be able to make a bike with an accurate speedo, but I sold mine years ago....

When manufacturer's instruments are accurate, then being written up for a slight bit over the posted speed limit may be fair. With most OEM speedos, however, the rider can only know his/her "approximate" speed. Surely the CHP wouldn't write you up for a couple mph 'over' :scratch
Harley Davidson seems to be able to make a bike with an accurate speedo, but I sold mine years ago....

In Texas they might stop you at 2 over. Paper is common at 4 over. But then the 2-lane speed limit is often 70 or 75, and 80 on parts of the Interstate. So they don't think they have to give you much.

California 27400.
A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

Since every spedo I've ever seen reads high that should not be a problem. In fact it might help.

Anyone who passes a stopped school bus with its lights flashing should, in addition to the fine, be required to drive a school bus loaded with middle school kids for a week.

pete

Back