Thread: Bad break

On the Road

Unhappy Bad break

I talked a friend into buying a BMW GS after letting him ride mine and he found a 96 1100GS locally in good shape and a good price. I had an 1100GS for a few years with no problems other than the tranny issue. That had been addressed on this bike so I encouraged him to go ahead.

Yesterday on our first off road ride, he hit a tough bump and fractured the transmission/ frame bolt casing on the right side. I was not aware that this was a problem until I started looking into the fix. I see Touratech has a hard mount that supplements the case strength. It looks to me like this mount could fix the problem without the bolt going into the tranny case if we grind back the fracture enough to accept a nut. Anybody else tried this?

Thanks in advance for the time and suggestions.

On the Road

This is the proposed fix.
    The bolt casing has sheared so we attached the hard point with a nut and bolt to the frame bracket. We also braced the inside of the transmission case (near the swing arm) with clinch nuts. We will see how it fairs on rough roads. The cost of a new transmission case is questionable from a cost standpoint. In this picture from touratech the bolt has not sheared from the case on top of the tranny.
    Last edited by windypoint; 01-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.

This might work. It might not. That aftermarket part is intended to reinforce the case before it breaks, not after it breaks. But Joe Katz once had a similar break on his R1100RS and used that part (the one for an R1100GS) to temporarily reinforce the break so he could continue to travel all summer. He swapped the transmission in the winter if I recall correctly. It worked for a while for Joe, but he was riding an RS almost always on pavement. I'm not sure of what the outcome will be on a GS doing normal GS off pavement stuff.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On the Road
    I will update after it has been ridden. I know in the long run a tranny case replacement is the best, but that is so expensive parting the bike out may be a better alternative.
    Last edited by windypoint; 01-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Get a hold of Tom Cutter or Anton Largiadier. They both do a lot of transmission work. They may have a case sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
    Get a hold of Tom Cutter or Anton Largiadier. They both do a lot of transmission work. They may have a case sitting around.
    I know Tom does. I sent him one.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

On the Road
    Does anyone have contact information for Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Does anyone have contact information for Tom?
    It is on his web site: http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

On the Road
    Thank you, message sent.