• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bad break

windypoint

I talked a friend into buying a BMW GS after letting him ride mine and he found a 96 1100GS locally in good shape and a good price. I had an 1100GS for a few years with no problems other than the tranny issue. That had been addressed on this bike so I encouraged him to go ahead.

Yesterday on our first off road ride, he hit a tough bump and fractured the transmission/ frame bolt casing on the right side. I was not aware that this was a problem until I started looking into the fix. I see Touratech has a hard mount that supplements the case strength. It looks to me like this mount could fix the problem without the bolt going into the tranny case if we grind back the fracture enough to accept a nut. Anybody else tried this?

Thanks in advance for the time and suggestions.

UxQ73u-1.jpg

This is the proposed fix.
The bolt casing has sheared so we attached the hard point with a nut and bolt to the frame bracket. We also braced the inside of the transmission case (near the swing arm) with clinch nuts. We will see how it fairs on rough roads. The cost of a new transmission case is questionable from a cost standpoint. In this picture from touratech the bolt has not sheared from the case on top of the tranny.

Last edited:
This might work. It might not. That aftermarket part is intended to reinforce the case before it breaks, not after it breaks. But Joe Katz once had a similar break on his R1100RS and used that part (the one for an R1100GS) to temporarily reinforce the break so he could continue to travel all summer. He swapped the transmission in the winter if I recall correctly. It worked for a while for Joe, but he was riding an RS almost always on pavement. I'm not sure of what the outcome will be on a GS doing normal GS off pavement stuff.

I will update after it has been ridden. I know in the long run a tranny case replacement is the best, but that is so expensive parting the bike out may be a better alternative.

Last edited:
Get a hold of Tom Cutter or Anton Largiadier. They both do a lot of transmission work. They may have a case sitting around.

Back