• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

USA Four Corners Ride

tires

We both ran PR2's. I now have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's on but it's too soon to tell if there's much difference. A friend of ours ran PR3's in the Iron Butt rally last year and really likes them. Apparently they changed the width of the dual compound strip and they reportedly don't square off as they wear as much as do the PR 2s. :bikes

Thanks for the info. I just got my K12 late in the fall and it came with PR2s. I was running Metzelers on my old K75.

I like the PR2s so far and glad to hear you got good mileage out of yours. I'll likely just stick with them.

Seat on Jay's K1200GT

Jay, I'm wondering what brand of aftermarket seat you used on your K1200GT. In the Madawaska photo in ON, the seat material looks like suede or Alcantara.

Mike

KGT Seat

Mike, here's the lead for the manufacture of my customs seat. I've had it on the bike now for about 50 K. So far I have been satisfied with, but I don't think it's as good as the Russell that I've had on previous bikes. The only real objection I have with it that is not very good and cold weather. After you read his technique of assembly you'll see why.

Hope this helps .
http://www.kontourseat.com/

Jay

Hey, nice article in the ON magazine. I really enjoyed reading it. It was informative and well written, never long winded.

Possibly, Mr. Director, if you didn't volunteer so much, you could find time for such a ride. :laugh :laugh :wave

See you soon... and often Vance.

Good read, Stan. Look forward to the next time we see each other. Maybe we won't be working so much volunteering, either.

Thanks Randy. We'll be together, workin', :drinksooner than we can imagine. I know you, like myself, really enjoy creating a party for all the MOA members to enjoy. I'd hate to choose between riding and volunteering, thankfully we can do both!

Your article was inspiring, very nicely written..Thank you.

Did you use any GPS aid or just old school travel / maps?

Thanks,

Jay is highly qualified with a GPS, I'm an analogue guy (meaning a road atlas.) They both seem to have advantages at different times. Also for the most part, I usually don't care exactly where I am as long as I'm riding.

I think one of the funniest stories that happened on the trip was in Key West. Forest fires, detours, us changing our planned route etc. Jay had planned several routes with mileage and approximate times. He tried routes East to West, West to East, through the U.S., through Canada. All kinds of various routes and the benefits of each. So ...we had taken a few detours, changed our plans a couple of times and had to skirt a few fires. We were in Key West which, as I'm sure you know, is 100 miles down Route 1, it's the only road to and through the keys. I asked Jay, "So how are we doing on the GPS routing?" Jay said, "We've been right on course for about the last 30 miles." I thought I'd die laughing. I never will forget that line. :bikes

Four Corners USA trip in the works -

Greetings -
I've recently retired from teaching public school and am seriously putting together a solo Four Corners trip. Last summer I rode northern Michigan to California and back and found myself imagining the Four Corners numerous times. I would head east from MI to Maine, then to Florida, and continue on. My son lives near Santa Barbara, so I'd spend some time there before heading north along the coast (have motorcycled part of Route 1 and look forward to the entirety of the run). Finishing the trip going through the northern US would fit well upon arriving back in northern MI. I have a couple shorter 3-4 day rides planned this summer, so am looking at early Fall as a good time of the year to go (hoping on more accommodating weather than last summer's sauna ride).
I enjoyed Wanderer's January 2012 article on his journey in our MOA magazine and would very much appreciate receiving any info/suggestions/routes/nuances anyone out there may have for me.
Thanks to all ahead of time,
Drive safe -
Jake

hobarter

Thanks for the kind words. I can only hope to enjoy the ride. It will be over before you know it.

Back