• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sargent seat for 2012 R1200 RT

Hammam

I had a low Sargent seat on my 1200 GS, and I liked it a lot. Far more comfortable than the horrible BMW low seat. But it being wider at the thighs, I found myself tiptoeing a bit more than I cared for when parking backwards or manoeuvering on uneven ground. Now, I have the R1200 RT, with the standard seat, which is almost perfect, height-wise. Almost, because I am a tiny bit on the toes again. Less than on the GS, but still. The low BMW was too cramped for me, and made my ageing knees bend too much. Not mentioning the overal discomfort. Geez, when will BMW learn to make comfortable seats?

Since I am considering the regular height Sargent seat, I wonder if this issue of a wider seat would have the same effect, ie making me tiptoe a bit too much again. Anybody can share their experience?

Thank you.

I cannot speak to the seat issue on the new BMW's,
but I had Sargent refoam my 1985 R80 seat and make it an inch wider in the rear section of the riders portion.
I am 5'8" with a 28" inseam and my feet are about flat if I just scooch up a bit at stops.
The Super foam they use is great.

I just put a Sargent low seat on my 2011 RT, replacing the factory low seat. The shape of the Sargent is a bit wider at the front, lifting my heels off the ground, where I flat-footed it with the BMW seat.

I expect it would be the same for the Sargent and OEM regular height seats.

I have a 2009 RT with a standard Sargent seat. I'm 6 ft tall with 32 inch inseam. I bought two seats from them (standard and low) to see which was best for me. The standard is about 1/2 inch too high for me and the Sargent low seat was about an inch too low (and much harder than standard with less foam). At their suggestion, I returned the low seat for them to raise the height 1 inch and paid them an additional $75 to modify the low seat. They didn't get it right; only raised it about 3/8 inch. I returned the seat to them for a "re-do," again asking them to send me back a seat that is only 1/2 inch lower than the standard height seat. I'm still waiting for the "re-do" seat to be sent back to me, then I can return the standard seat for a refund (without a re-stock fee). They seem to be reasonable folks to deal with and I'm looking forward to getting an exact height Sargent seat that is ideal for me. It's just taking longer than I anticipated. You can call them and tell Dane or Paul what you need; they will try to accommodate your needs. Unfortunately, I think you may have missed their 20% off annual sale by about a month. :-(

Did you try the low seat with a Suburban Foot Peg Lowering Kitt? Sure helps the cramped legs problem.

I think the Sargent standard height seat feels higher than the BMW standard height seat because it is firmer and sags less. The Sarge is wider toward the back where it supports your butt but narrow at the front where you need to get your thighs down for a foot plant.

If you think the original BMW seat is poor, try an hour on an FJR.

pete
R12RT

I have an 06 R1200RT. I have the stock and Sargent seats. Due to the width of the Sargent seat, it does splay my legs wider and makes it so that I can't get both feet flat on the ground like I can with the stock seat. The Sargent seat is way more comfortable, so I use the stock seat mainly for the times when I ride to work, and use the Sargent for everything else.

Sargent Seat

I have a 2009 RT with a standard Sargent seat. I'm 6 ft tall with 32 inch inseam. I bought two seats from them (standard and low) to see which was best for me. The standard is about 1/2 inch too high for me and the Sargent low seat was about an inch too low (and much harder than standard with less foam). At their suggestion, I returned the low seat for them to raise the height 1 inch and paid them an additional $75 to modify the low seat. They didn't get it right; only raised it about 3/8 inch. I returned the seat to them for a "re-do," again asking them to send me back a seat that is only 1/2 inch lower than the standard height seat. I'm still waiting for the "re-do" seat to be sent back to me, then I can return the standard seat for a refund (without a re-stock fee). They seem to be reasonable folks to deal with and I'm looking forward to getting an exact height Sargent seat that is ideal for me. It's just taking longer than I anticipated. You can call them and tell Dane or Paul what you need; they will try to accommodate your needs. Unfortunately, I think you may have missed their 20% off annual sale by about a month. :-(

I just heard from Sargent re: the custom seat they were building for me. Apparently, they have decided it's too tough (expensive?) for them to modify a low seat to make it one inch higher for me. They refunded my money for the low seat and said they will also refund the amount I paid for the seat modification (about $75). I am somewhat surprised they gave up on building a custom height seat. I am generally happy with the standard height Sargent seat that I have on the RT, but 1/2 inch lower would be "perfect" I think.

I prefer Rick Mayer's saddles.

rt-saddle.jpg

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

If all you want to do is lower the seat a small amount, why not just remove the cover and use an electric knife to trim it down to the level you want ?

Many of us have done just that on multiple seats over the years.

If all you want to do is lower the seat a small amount, why not just remove the cover and use an electric knife to trim it down to the level you want ?

Many of us have done just that on multiple seats over the years.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, any local auto upholsterer should be able to do it as well.

I have a std height heated sargent on my '11, with a 32" inseam set in the low position I flat foot no problem. It does push the legs out a tad with width, but as others have menioned narrows at the front. I actually usually ride in the higher seat position with no issues.

seat

Call on a local auto upholsterer, we have a business that does custom, worn seats,and old car restorations, but they have been able to custom fit bike seats.

Back