• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Retirement!!!

hlothery

I am 62 and have been working since age 14, but my first day of practice as a Physician Assistant was Feb 2nd, 1977. I retired from the Army in 1994, but continued in private practice. After almost 35 years of practice, I will retire on Jan 20th. I have 11 working days left (Holidays and one vacation day excepted)! My wife retired in June, and we have plans to travel (some on the bike, some not), and experience the freedom we have always desired. I plan to play a lot more golf, and I am considering getting back into sailing, which I did for many years. I am both excited and apprehensive, as has been the case anytime there was a major change in my life. Ain't life grand?:twirl

Congratulations. Retire early and often. I retired at 59, and don't regret for a minute having done so. Sure, I could now have a little bit more money each month had I waited until later to retire, but the time since retirement has been as the ads would say, "priceless".

Postponing retirement only means you have fewer days of retirement. My advise is retire as soon as you can. Enjoy the years you earned and deserved. Congrats!

Congratulations. Retire early and often. I retired at 59, and don't regret for a minute having done so. Sure, I could now have a little bit more money each month had I waited until later to retire, but the time since retirement has been as the ads would say, "priceless".

Paul summed it up well. I 'pulled the plug' at age 53, after 32 1/2 years in law enforcement, and the years since have been simply the BEST!

And Karen's math is impecable - every day worked past an 'exit window' is one less day of retirement - so true!

Don't ever let greed dictate your retirement timeline - punch out as soon as possible, then live within your means.

The 'Happy' factor, as previously mentioned, is priceless! :dance

Congratulations Hugh - now go out and do everything you can.

Last edited:

+1 :thumb

In total agreement with Paul. I retired at 56 and haven't regretted one day. As much as I loved teaching and being a successful weekend photographer, once I retired I had no desire to ever return to either as there were just too many other activities for me. You might say that I finally got a life when I retired.

Congratulations!

I retired as soon as I could at 55. That was over 8 1/2 years ago and I haven't regretted it at all. I could have waited and had more money but once you have enough to do what you want to do, there is nothing gained. My Dad died at 52 and my Mom at 57 so I decided to enjoy the time I have left.

When you get retired, you will wonder how you ever had time to work. I seem to be busy all the time but never seem to get anything finished.

When you get retired, you will wonder how you ever had time to work. I seem to be busy all the time but never seem to get anything finished.

Ain't that the truth!

It's about being your own boss while also being your own customer.

I am going on 16 years of retirement after way too many years of hard work and stress. We have enjoyed relatively good health and have traveled extensively. 48 states and 8 Canadian provinces by motor home. at least 30 states by motorcycle, and about 20 countries in 6 different continents by planes and/or river boats

When I retired I bought a almost new BMW K-75 which I told my wife was the last motorcycle I had to buy. 10 motorcycles later, I am still looking for my next "last" motorcycle.

Enjoy life and retirement, Keep Healty

Congratulations, Retirement is wonderful but be warned, you are going to be busier now that you have ever been.

Congrats to you, enjoy it, sounds like you have some nice plans. Retirement for me is getting near but not sure I want to, because it might mean working for my wife instead, where the pay is not very good, hours are long, no vacations and no breaks.

Contests Hugh! Annie and I both retired on Oct 1st when I hit 60, and I think it was a smart decision. So far it has been pretty busy.

My retirement was sort of forced upon me due to some health issues. Got most of that worked out , well as good as it will probably get anyway.

Money was a big worry for me since i spent most of what I had during my recovery/rehab period. Not much insurance since I was self employed.

Lucky for me my wife is a bit younger and healthy, she continues to work( for about 3 more years) and understands/approves of my motorcycle hobby/lifestyle.

She encourages me to keep riding as long as i feel good and admonishes me if i mention anything about money. She say's we will work it out no matter what.
Sometimes i feel a bit guilty about leaving her and wandering off on the motorcycle, but she says she does not mind . She says she enjoys hearing my tales of the road.

I'm a lucky guy in a lot of ways :thumb :dance

Congratulations!!! I retired early at 53 because of some health problems. But I'm doing pretty good now. I'll be 60 years old in March, and I bought a new bike yesterday. :thumb

Congrats Hugh,

Enjoy it, you'll wonder where the darn time goes.
I was able to do it after 30+ years at age 52 and have never been more relaxed...and busy. But it's MY busy.
Treat yourself to a ice cream at the Dairy Queen on the Wing:laugh

Toss The Timekeeper

One thing that I did: I retired in 2009 but tossed out my watch in 1998. Bought a Navaho bracelet at Missoula rally and wore it 24/7 since. Psychologically retired then I suppose but the point is: time. Throw away any time keeping device that is on your wrist. What do you need it for? Reverse/modify the thinking about the concept of time. - Bob

Throw away any time keeping device that is on your wrist. What do you need it for?

If I did that, how would I know it was time for my nap? :) All of the other devices that have time - microwave, coffeepot, radio, etc.just keep blinking a bunch of zeros.

If I did that, how would I know it was time for my nap? :) All of the other devices that have time - microwave, coffeepot, radio, etc.just keep blinking a bunch of zeros.

:laugh It's not you Paul. The 'malfunctioning timepieces' are dead-on..... the correct time is zero (for retired folks anyway). As some old wise sort suggested..... "eat when you're hungry and sleep when you're tired". BTW, do you really take a nap at a particular time? - Bob

Back