• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Retirement!!!

Retirement sucks.

I mean, look at me for an example. I've been retired over 9 years and some friends call today asking us to come visit them for a few days in January. Can we do that? Well lets look at the calendar. Hmmmmmmmmm............

The ONLY 3 consecutive days we don't have something already on the calendar is next weekend.

See what I mean, busy all the time with hardly a free moment to ourselves.

It is hard work to not work.:laugh

OTOH I have not had a single day where I wished I was working again. NOT ONE!

To those still working I say your time will come and please do it as soon as you can.

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat

+1.

The issue of whether to retire is unique to each individual.

I'm 63, and have been an attorney for 38 years. My work is interesting, and I can control work load, type of work, and the stress levels of the work. I have a wonderful group of clients.

My wife, who is an ophthalmologist, is also 63, and has no plans to retire. At this stage of our lives, we are not working because we have to, and we enjoy our lifestyle, and don't want to live anywhere else in the world.

But many of our friends have retired, and I think they did so for good reasons.

Congratulations, Hugh. :thumb
Reminds me of a man I worked with,Hunter Blair, @ Ohse Meats,Topeka,KS, in the 60's.He & I were in a company job as a production foreman in a medium size union meat pkg plant. Hunter ran the boning & ham operation, I the packaging room. His job involved working ~60+ hrs per week, coming to work @ 5a.m., 6 days a week & on your feet all day with stress. He had already retired at another packing plant. He was 75 yrs old & there because he was "born to work" & serves as my e.g. of the fact that some people need it & should continue to do it until they cannot or they die, whichever comes first.
I don't really buy into this notion that one "should leave & make room" for the next person, it's your life & you should live it as it works for you & as long as it doesn't interfere with others. On the contrary, we have all seen workers that should GET OUT! for reasons that matter.
I'm glad to see so many of you able to enjoy your later yrs!

Reminds me of a man I worked with,Hunter Blair, @ Ohse Meats,Topeka,KS, in the 60's.He & I were in a company job as a production foreman in a medium size union meat pkg plant. Hunter ran the boning & ham operation, I the packaging room. His job involved working ~60+ hrs per week, coming to work @ 5a.m., 6 days a week & on your feet all day with stress. He had already retired at another packing plant. He was 75 yrs old & there because he was "born to work" & serves as my e.g. of the fact that some people need it & should continue to do it until they cannot or they die, whichever comes first.
I don't really buy into this notion that one "should leave & make room" for the next person, it's your life & you should live it as it works for you & as long as it doesn't interfere with others. On the contrary, we have all seen workers that should GET OUT! for reasons that matter.
I'm glad to see so many of you able to enjoy your later yrs!

For me, the difference between retirement and work is the "having to" aspect of work. I love to work; retirement means that I don't *have to* work. Makes all the difference in the world when you get to that point were going to a job is done because you want to rather than you have to.

Tom

I have seen too many Military retiree's pass away within 15 years after retirement from the service. I strongly feel that having a hobby such as riding, shooting/reloading, golf, hunting, hiking, etc, is essential for anyone that retires.

I agree. You have to have something to keep you busy when you retire. A lot of people and the pundits concentrate on money when it comes to planning for retirement. It is important but I don't think it is the most important. It doesn't matter how much money you have if you sit around in a condo all day. If you do that, you won't live long enough to use your money and you won't enjoy it anyway.

When I bought my retirement house to retire at 55, I intentionally bought a well built large house on six and a half acres with two well stocked fish ponds. People said I shouldn't do that because I would have to keep it mowed and maintained. I replied that that was the reason I bought it because I would HAVE to do it. I thought I would fish a lot with big bass and catfish in my yard but I don't fish much at all. However, I really enjoy watching the neighborhood kids, neices, nephews and my grandchildren catch their first fish there and continue to enjoy fishing. I thought I would do a lot of shooting when I moved back to the sticks but I haven't. I have bought or inherited about 8 firearms that I haven't shot is a couple of years. I did not inherit my Dad's skill with firearms (unsupported rumor that he was a sniper in the Army)

I find I stay busy helping kids and the community with the Kiwanis Club and the Ruritan Club, chasing parts for my brother's one man body shop, taking care of an ailing wife, helping with grandchildren, riding my motorcycles and doing anything I want to do.

My dad told me years ago that having a job that you enjoyed was more important than chasing the almighty dollar.

My dad told me the same thing. I have been employed as a corporate pilot for the last 46 years and am being forced to retire at age 71 as of Jan 3, 2012. If you love what you do it is not boring or a chore to get out of bed in the morning. I am not looking forward to retirement but only time will tell if spending more time on my three bikes and playing with grand kids will help.

I sure have enjoyed all the comments and surprised that most guys spend their life doing something they don't like to do. Keep the comments coming.

Jim in Alabama

I sure have enjoyed all the comments and surprised that most guys spend their life doing something they don't like to do.

Hats off for doing something that tough for so long, I did try it for a few years, decided it would kill me if I didn't kill somebody first.

Congrats on the new phase of your life. There is indeed life after retirement and it will be as good as you make it to be. Do not forget that you worked decades to achieve it so enjoy it as much as you can every day.

Also keep in mind that sometimes retirement seems to make you busier than you were when you were working. Don't know how that happens at times but it seems to be true. So if you find yourself feeling that way, fire yourself and go lay on the couch for a bit until the feeling passes....
:whistle:thumb

I sure have enjoyed all the comments and surprised that most guys spend their life doing something they don't like to do. Jim in Alabama

I am in totally agreement with you.

In my case, I loved teaching. I was a teacher's teacher as well as a kid's teacher. I'd show up at 7:00 a.m. every morning, in order to get my day ready, as well as being ready to help staff who needed help with their computers, their AV equipment or library materials for their lessons. I used to work for another hour and a half or more finishing up the day's work and helping other staff, as well as doing lesson preps at night. I was one of two who did most of the extra-curricular activities. I could never imagine retiring because I enjoyed what I did so much. Never had to look at the clock other than to wonder how the day had slipped away so quickly.

Then one day in May (almost 9 years ago), the word retirement entered my head for a reason unknown to me. I felt sorry for those who wished me well but confided that they "had to put in another 10 or 15 years before they could get their pension." What a waste of their lives and their students' education if they were "putting in time."

Once I retired, I discovered that I had time to babysit my granddaughter, garden, read, play squash again, build small home projects, cycle and return to motorcycling and long distance touring. In other words, I was being blessed with a very different life. As for supply teaching, as many retired teachers in our system do, it offered no appeal; been there, done that, time to do different things.

I was equally blessed with my love of wedding photography. I now only do portraits or weddings during the winter as I explain to summer clients that I am already booked for their requested day; I'd hate to miss a motorcycle trip due to a photo shoot.

Retirement is something that all should experience. Unfortunately I sometimes discover some old friends don't live long enough to retire or die shortly after retiring. Hence, I believe in living each day, doing what can be done and afforded, as we never know what might happen tomorrow.

fast approaching target age

I will turn 62 the middle of February, my target age, meaning I can retire without penalty. I am fortunate to have a "defined benefit pension" that I will get, as well as being able to draw social security.

I have worked as a construction engineer so my time off in good weather has been almost non-existent. I've squeezed in a handful of bike trips, but only the week-long variety.

I have to admit that retiring for me is a difficult concept to deal with. I have mixed emotions about it. I don't feel old enough to retire, but at the same time, the face in the mirror is not getting any younger. I worry about having enough money after I retire. I'll have 29 years in at my current job, so that amount of time would give me a decent pension, although not a great one.

My boss is an unpleasant, in-your-face micro-manager. I call him my "retirement incentive."

I'll probably retire by mid-July of this year unless I chicken out. :dunno

Harry

Please continue this great discussion

As someone who is struggling to make the decision to 'retire' or not, I keep thinking of all the reasons pro and con and never seem to be able to resolve them. It's almost as if I want everything to be perfect before making the leap. Is that unusual? I have seen some people around me make the decision easily and go on to awesome experiences and others force to because of downsizing companies or illness and yet land on their feet and end up feeling and doing better overall than working for someone else every day. Is making the decision and acting on it that difficult for everyone?

Confused...
:dunno

Ken, when retirement is a voluntary decision, there are a lot of "should's" that come into play. Someday, the desire to retire will overcome the fear of retiring, and you'll be gone.

For me, there was some guilt to work thru, as well. After I retired from working a regular job, I felt guilty for not being at work. That good Catholic guilt kicked in for about 6 months, but I beat it!

Tom

What a great post I'll probably retire some time this year at 59 it's still kind of scary or should I say different but that's what makes it interesting hell maybe I can get a job dancing with the Chippendale's on the senior tour:dance

STATUS UPDATE!!!

Today is my last working Monday ever. I have vacation on Friday, and Monday next week is MLK Day. Six more working days left!

Am I excited, or what?:brad

Retirement or do something different?

Interesting thread.

I'm one of those folks with an old-style pension working with folks that had a choice 25+ yrs ago. As you can guess, I don't talk too much at work about any future plans. However, after you've done something for a few decades, it is time to move on to new challenges or different perspectives. In a few years that will be me. What happens at that time will be as much a mystery to me as tomorrow is today.

A few years ago, I read an article on the naming of a new CEO for BMW AG. According to the article, BMW selects perspective upper management candidates when they are in their early 40"s, puts them on a path and then selects new CEO's that's in his early 50's from that pool of candidates. At age 60, the CEO must retire from his position, but can stay with the company in some technical or professional role. In many aspects, I like that idea. Give the guy some training, if he's good let him be the boss for 8~10-yrs, then get some new blood in the top spot.

New blood is always good and we can all be that in a new spot or place.

Good luck.

I am new to this organization and have been in awe of the number of miles traveled per year by the members. I think to myself, ÔÇ£What do these people do that affords them so much time off to ride all over the world?ÔÇØ Now I know. Congratulations to all of you retired riding people. I will get there someday and ride along with you but until then itÔÇÖs just 2 weekÔÇÖs vacation a year. I envy you and cannot wait till the time comes for me to retire.:thumb

I am new to this organization and have been in awe of the number of miles traveled per year by the members. I think to myself, “What do these people do that affords them so much time off to ride all over the world?” Now I know. Congratulations to all of you retired riding people. I will get there someday and ride along with you but until then it’s just 2 week’s vacation a year. I envy you and cannot wait till the time comes for me to retire.:thumb

Whoa, hold on there big fella! Don't get the idea that any of us poor pensioners are saying the purpose of the first 75% of one's life is to get the last 25% in retirement. I'd love to be 30 again and only have vacations available to take long rides. Enjoy it while you have it, but prepare for when it's gone, and know that when your time comes it can be a blast. I just hope no one starts a thread asking this group to list all their aches and pains; now that will scare the snot out of you. ;)

P.S. I mispent my adolescence in Virginia Beach. Great place to find trouble when you are a teenager.

This has been a really interesting thread ever since I received a letter last summer letting me know that my projected retirement date has already passed...

Back