Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    ... Hell, maybe I'll even demo an XR....

I retired eight years ago, but I'm not yet old enough for an XR - I lack the maturity to ride it in a responsible manner.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    ... XR - I lack the maturity to ride it in a responsible manner.
    And your Codger Bike is plenty fast.
    Rinty

I envy you "retired" guys. I'll turn 55 just before the Rally this year, and I've made the decision that I've got 3 to 5 years left, just like the inmate said ....... "I can do that time standing on my head".
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    And your Codger Bike is plenty fast.
    You know, that thing embarrassed a couple of well-heeled Ducati riders in red/green/white leathers on Georgia Hwy. 60. They had more money than skill. They segmented the turns, hauled arse on the straights and braked into the turns. After I passed them, they were too embarrassed to pull in at Two Wheels Only.

It does run and corner very well. But it has 1/4 the power of the XR.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    After I passed them, they were too embarrassed to pull in at Two Wheels Only....
    Rinty

My wife and I retired two and a half years ago at 60. We keep busy in the puckerbrush on a pair of Huskies and a pair of KTM 690's we camp off. We like to camp for two, three or four weeks at a time, Idaho or SW Oregon, Northern Nevada are favorites.

We picked up two GSA's a year ago and put over 15,000 miles on two big trips and a lot of weekends last year. Some amazing country in the western US. I hope I learn to like the GSA as much as the KTM, the KTM is the best bike I've had.

We spend about a month in Death Valley each spring with the bikes, exploring the back country. May add the southern CA BDR this year too, a good portion of it is in Death Valley NP. I'd like to finish up the northern section of the Idaho BDR over a week as well.

Kind of dream about an Alaska trip, my wife has a cousin in Haines we should visit! Next year.......

Shoulders are both bone on bone and sometimes hurt like hell. CBD seems to help a lot along with handlebars adjusted to put less pressure on the joints...should have retired a couple years earlier for sure.

We split our time with several week long plus rafting trips during the year.

WN.JPG
    Retired with a Wife that Rides, Life is Good!

Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by river-runner View Post
    My wife and I retired two and a half years ago at 60. We keep busy in the puckerbrush on a pair of Huskies and a pair of KTM 690's we camp off. We like to camp for two, three or four weeks at a time, Idaho or SW Oregon, Northern Nevada are favorites.

We picked up two GSA's a year ago and put over 15,000 miles on two big trips and a lot of weekends last year. Some amazing country in the western US. I hope I learn to like the GSA as much as the KTM, the KTM is the best bike I've had.

We spend about a month in Death Valley each spring with the bikes, exploring the back country. May add the southern CA BDR this year too, a good portion of it is in Death Valley NP. I'd like to finish up the northern section of the Idaho BDR over a week as well.

Kind of dream about an Alaska trip, my wife has a cousin in Haines we should visit! Next year.......

Shoulders are both bone on bone and sometimes hurt like hell. CBD seems to help a lot along with handlebars adjusted to put less pressure on the joints...should have retired a couple years earlier for sure.

We split our time with several week long plus rafting trips during the year.

WN.JPG
    I am at the juncture of work more vs retirement. I doubt that I will need or use the extra money. I sure like by RT and my new GS. See you on the road!

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KBell50 View Post
    I am at the juncture of work more vs retirement. I doubt that I will need or use the extra money. I sure like by RT and my new GS. See you on the road!
    Too many people just keep padding their bank accounts, and then one day they die.

You can never buy more time on this earth.

Retire as soon as possible - live within your means - and never look back with regret.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Too many people just keep padding their bank accounts, and then one day they die.

Retire as soon as possible - live within your means - and never look back with regret.
    Good Advice. Luckily for me there is no padding in my bank accounts thanks to the X so my decision to keep working is an easy one. Maybe one day in my 60’s.

Hope your well up there in the great white north Kevin.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Exactly. We retired when I was 60 and Annie 56. Had planned to work until 65 but meeting Voni and Paul in Alaska and having a brother-in-law drop dead at age 58 were great motivators. No regrets for sure. We can do just about anything we want to do, just not everything we want to do.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I posted on this thread a few years ago. I retired (mandatory) at 65. I loved my career, but it kept me away from home 16 to 20 days a month so I missed a lot of extended family activities and holidays. I'm enjoying my time with family and friends and being able to pack up and go when I want and not when my bid vacation would allow. I admit that I do miss aspects of my working life, but I think that's a normal reaction. I wouldn't go back now if I could. Now, almost three years into my new life, I realize that doing my job longer wasn't going to make it any better.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Good Advice. Luckily for me there is no padding in my bank accounts thanks to the X so my decision to keep working is an easy one. Maybe one day in my 60’s.

Hope your well up there in the great white north Kevin.
    Thanks Reece.

16 below right now, with winds that push it to minus 50 for exposed skin. Not pleasant. Son is at Fort Lewis-McCord on business this week - just got pics of him at the Space Needle a few hours ago. Nicer weather.

You just keep that latest batch of Army aviators sharp, and case your colors when the time is right.

Thanks Reece.

16 below right now, with winds that push it to minus 50 for exposed skin. Not pleasant. Son is at Fort Lewis-McCord on business this week - just got pics of him at the Space Needle a few hours ago. Nicer weather.

You just keep that latest batch of Army aviators sharp, and case your colors when the time is right.
    Roger that sir. On another note, as a former LEO I hope you would be proud of me. I got a “warning” from the Opp, AL PD Saturday on my bike coming back from the Pensacola dealership and club meeting. Sunday I found the police department and brought them pizza and soda. They acted like no one ever brought them dinner after being pulled over and let off with a warning.

My son is moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks. I’m going to miss him terribly.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

I retired in October last year at 62. We sold our house the year before that. We bought a travel trailer, a truck with which to pull it and a ramp to load the motorcycle in the back of the truck. So far we love being homeless😁!

So far so good. I plan on retiring from the Correctional Service here in Ontario in March 2020.
    $20,000 in debt at the bank should be paid off by about October and then I'll have 5 months to pad
    the bank account before I head out to pasture. Tentative plan A is to ride to the 4 corners of the
    USA with a good friend from Alberta and when we get to Blaine Washington, take the ferry to Alaska.
    Once Alaska is sufficiently explored we ride back to Edmonton and I then ride back to Ontario.
    That should do for starters.
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.