• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Montana Route 212 From Crow Agency to Belle Fouche, SD

beemeup

2009 R1200RT
Has anyone out there been down this road? They say it's a faster and more
pleasant way to get to Mt. Rushmore than I-90. Can anyone fill me in, how is it? Gas stations, Hotels, camgrounds, etc?? I was thinking of seeing the Little Bighorn Battlefield and then high tailin it over to Devil's Tower........Thanks, Don

Check the map it is only about 200miles from crow agency to Bell Fourche if the highway stays open all the way in. It has been known that at times you get routed off of 212 on to WY 112 down to Hulet, about where the Tower is, and then on to Bell Fourche by way of Wy 24. This detour adds about 40 miles to the trip. But if you were going there any way it should work out for you. Gas is available in Broadus as was a motel several years ago, but I kept on going.....better choice of motels in Bell Fourche.

There is a Sinclair station in Ashland on the south side of the highway. Last time I was through here was in September when we had to go to Chicago. (But we were in the car).

And there is a Conoco station in Lame Deer, about 2 blocks south of the highway. Can't recall the street name, its the main n/s road in town. two or three blocks down, on the east side of the road.

Been on this road a few times on bikes. It is MUCH preferable to the slab. Watch for wildlife. The little pronghorn/antelope things are thicker than flies on the stretch south of Broadus.

Last edited:
+1 on all comments. One more thing - sticking pretty close to posted speeds is prob'ly prudent.

One more thing - sticking pretty close to posted speeds is prob'ly prudent.

Yup. I seldom speed while on a Res, and besides, we usually end up behind someone who's in no hurry to go anywhere. The spots to pass are few and far between. And with all the critters out there? This is one stretch where the speed limit suits the road quite well.

We rode this stretch on the way to Sturgis a few years ago. It was enjoyable. A couple of our guys got stopped for speeding, but not ticketed.

Back