• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1950 R25/1 Schuerman 3-Cylinder Radial

More information

More pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114008...uthkey=Gv1sRgCOeWlNWH1LXb7wE&feat=directlink#

Evan Bell, owner of Irv Seaver BMW, add these comments:

"It was built by Mr Schuerman in the 1950ÔÇÖS. He had some oiling problems and lower end went bad several times. The motorcycle was given to me 20 years plus ago to make it run. After much procrastination, I got it running a couple years ago and believe I found the problem with oiling. This is around 300cc four cycle flathead. The cam shaft has two lobes and turns one revolution per four of crank. The builder was not a machinist or engineer. He was a radio repairman."

His son, Brain Bell added:

"The motor is a 4 stroke, side valve 120 degree radial with bronze heads and roller tappet cam followers riding on a single, two lobe, 1/4 engine speed cam operating all six valves, intake and exhaust! The transmission is a four speed with all helical cut gears. Very ingenuously, the transmission incorporates primary kick starting. This allows the rider to start the bike without having to find neutral, not that we have noticed any issue finding neutral with the no drag, automotive/BMW style single plate clutch. Yes, it's running and functioning again. It keeps up with surface street traffic, but we have not done any top speed or performance testing."

That is the most natural-looking radial I have ever seen in a motorcycle frame. The ingenuity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Back