• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Poor helmet speakers BMW Comm system

iehrlich

I have had my GTl for about six months and enjoy the bike.
The BMW comm system is the only available choice to work with the factory system and the Schuberth helmet. The speakers are horrible distorting music and sound. The dealer Eurocycle of Tampa Bay has been great and swapped them out for another pair with no improvement. They caled BMW with no response and I have called and left messages with no response. The dealer had several people listen to both sets and all admitted the sound quality was miserable.
I can not replace them with another brand. I had used the Nolan helmet and speakers before the BMW system was available and the sound quality was fine.
I would go back but the Nolan has only limited capability with the GTL.
HELP!

I had the same problem with my Schuberth SRC.... Around town, the speakers were fine, but as soon as I hit highway speeds, the volume went up automatically and it got really distorted.

You could swap the speakers out with something else... I did some digging online and found several different models of helmet speakers that would probably work better than the ones supplied with the SRC.

I decided to go a different route and splice in the female end of a headphone jack so I can use my ear buds when I want to. It was very easy to do. Took all of 30 minutes. All you need some soldering skills, a headphone extension cord (Radio shack: $8) and the ability to work with tiny wires.

I left the speakers in and used the male end of the extension cord to connect the speakers back into the SRC when I don't want to use the earbuds...

ear bud jack

Did you solder the 1/8" stereo jack to the speaker wires at the speakers? Are they in parralell with the ear buds, so the bike speakers continue to play?
This is the way I am leaning since there are so many complaints about the sound quality on the bluetooth.

Thanks,

Doug

I tried various speakers in helmets for years, and really had no success. I even took apart some headphones and used those speakers. Could hardly make out the songs playing and as for someone reading the news, forget it.

Finally had a custom ear plug made for just one ear, and now I am listening in high fidelity. I just did one ear in mono because a well made ear plug blocks out all sounds. Just disconnect the speakers and solder in a female mini-stereo jack and you are good to go.

Did you solder the 1/8" stereo jack to the speaker wires at the speakers? Are they in parralell with the ear buds, so the bike speakers continue to play?
This is the way I am leaning since there are so many complaints about the sound quality on the bluetooth.

Thanks,

Doug

No, that's not the way I did it.. I soldered in a female 1/8" jack to the SRC neckroll.

The speakers in the helmet have the male 1/8" jack soldered into it. So, I can plug the helmet speakers into the SRC system OR the earbuds.. But not both.

My thought was that the battery life of the SRC would be reduced if the little amplifier in there was powering both the earbuds AND the helmet speakers at the same time.

I was referring to the wired connection on the bike. Where did you tap the audio signal, and did you use a three wire cord or four. I have using a three wire causes a hum.

Thanks

Back