• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

EZ-Pass

Find a State with free EZ PASS units - why pay for them. Mount / glue to bike - fender or body panel - so it wont walk,fly off, fill jacket pockets or tank bag.

I was going to go over the Richmond San Raphael bridge this week, but then I didn't want to go down the east bay and back toward San Mateo, so I only went over the Golden Gate Bridge.
I was concerned about FastTrak for two reasons. I never mounted it on my bike, and I wasn't sure if it would work in the bay area, even tho' the law says it must, as my account is in So Cal.
I thought of a mesh or net bag that I could tie onto the tank rail. But couldn't find a bag.
Here in So Cal, I leave it in my back pack, and sit it on the dash when I'm in a car. Then on the bike, it uses the photo and license plate, tho' one time I did hear it beep in the back pack.
I finally realized, all I had to do was stick it into my travel bag, at the top which was tied onto the luggage rack, as I was about to roll onto the Bridge.
One day later the charge showed up. Ok.
I cannot stick it onto the windshield, as I need it for more than one vehicle.
dc

I cannot stick it onto the windshield, as I need it for more than one vehicle.

Don't the CA transponders come with some sort of Velcro-esque attachment system that can attached to several vehicle's windshields? That's the way it is w/EZ-Pass and FastLane in the Northeast.

Mine didn't. Plus, I wouldn't want to use it anyway. Then I'd have a velcro base in two places, where I didn't want any blemishes.
Mine just has tape on the back. I don't want to put tape on my vehicles, either.
dc

Like bmwrider88, I have had a few problems in NY, too. I have a "FastLane" transponder (Massachusetts' name for the EZPass) that works in my jacket chest pocket - usually. On a trip across the Rip VanWinkel Bridge (really) in NY state, I had to wait for a person to come over, take my transponder back to the booth, scan it and return it. This really pleased the thirty drivers now backed-up behind me. And once it failed to register at the Newburg exit of the NY Thruway.

They can send a man to the moon but they can't make a foolproof EZPass system.

Since then I have mounted the gadget on a home-made plastic clip (1/8" acrylic) that slips onto the top edge of the windscreen. Small felt pads prevent scratching. Easily installed and removed, even in motion, and I haven't dropped it yet. Works every time - usually.

pete
R12RT

Don't the CA transponders come with some sort of Velcro-esque attachment system that can attached to several vehicle's windshields? That's the way it is w/EZ-Pass and FastLane in the Northeast.

When I ordered mine from VA DOT I requested a few extra Velcro strips in the comment field - when it arrived they had put 10 pairs in there and a handwritten note to just call if I needed more and they would send them out gratis.

It is a good deal, $25 deposit and a $15 minimum balance, no other charges. I have not used it on the bike yet, I plan on just sticking it in the tank bag window. Apparently in VA you are supposed to get one specifically for motorcycles, but no one I have talked to has had a problem using the car one and the online vehicle register took the bike info no problem.

Mine didn't...Mine just has tape on the back.

I'd wager that what appears to be tape is, in fact, the Velcro-like stuff used on transponders elsewhere. I mounted my car pass behind the rear-view mirror so I don't need to look at it, installed or not. On the bike, it's in my tank bag, no help to the OP, but I don't have a windshield. I don't really consider a couple short strips of Velcro a blemish, but my vehicles are hardly concourse-worthy.

MY EZ pass goes high in Aerostich chest zip pocket.

EZPass goes in Roadcrafter Two Piece, in a short sock held high inside top of right zipped chest pocket with safety pins. As I pull up, slow early so you don't pay the truck toll of the truck right behind you, then speed up to leave a little gap as you go under the white detector overhead, I'm usually in the left wheel tracks with helmet tipping left to expose the right pocket to the white detector, then I slide right as I approach the booth to see the green light earlier and get going again.

Works like a charm. Started doing this 3-4 years ago.

Started using EZPass right away back in 2000, I think. At first I had it on top of my map in my map pocket but didn't like the funky bump under the clear top and the map covered and it didn't work 100%.

Apparently in VA you are supposed to get one specifically for motorcycles, but no one I have talked to has had a problem using the car one and the online vehicle register took the bike info no problem.

In New York, a motorcycle-specific EZ Pass cuts your tolls on the NYS Thruway in half: https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Motorcycles will be charged 50% of the cash toll rate. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (MTRC)

Harry

I carry my ezpass in my jacket pocket but the first time I tried it I was not sure about the reception so I took the pass out of my pocket and held it up as I pass through the toll booth (Pa turnpike). All was good until about two weeks later I got a letter from Harrisburg stating I ran the toll booth and they enclosed a picture of my going through with my license plate clearly readable. The picture also showed my left hand holding up the ezpass. Great system. I just had to fill in the form giving my transponder number and the info on my new bike. No problem since.

Like bmwrider88, I have had a few problems in NY, too. I have a "FastLane" transponder (Massachusetts' name for the EZPass) that works in my jacket chest pocket - usually. On a trip across the Rip VanWinkel Bridge (really) in NY state, I had to wait for a person to come over, take my transponder back to the booth, scan it and return it. This really pleased the thirty drivers now backed-up behind me. And once it failed to register at the Newburg exit of the NY Thruway.

pete
R12RT

Had the same problem with EZPass on the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Only place that has ever happened to me.

I tried putting it in my pocket and had no luck. I did end up riding a serious wheelie out of the toll booth while I tried to put the Ezpass back in my pocket while trying to outrun an Audi that wanted to occupy my spot on the road.

I either keep it in a tank bag or in a Otter box type container on the rear rack of my R1200R. I have also used 3M dual lock to attach it inside my windshield. Velcro does not work well for this application.

The Maine Turnpike Authority makes it pretty difficult to get an EZ-Pass transponder. Several years ago, my wife discovered in a trip to see her parents in NY that it is much easier to get a transponder there. So we have our account in NY rather than ME.

After I got a transponder for my bike, I couldn't find a good holder. I was on the phone with a NY agent for something else and she suggested just placing it in my jacket pocket, which I've done. I've also placed it in the top of my BMW tank bag. In both locations, I get a yellow light (never green) going through the booth. I've not gone through a gate yet (like on a bridge) so I don't know if this means a gate won't lift for me. Anyway, the NY agent insisted that I should be fine, that even if it doesn't register, a photo is taken and they match the license plate number with your tag and then manually post the toll to your account. She said that it may delay the accounting if you check the status online, but your account will be deducted and no tickets issued. So far, that's been my experience.

In New York, a motorcycle-specific EZ Pass cuts your tolls on the NYS Thruway in half: https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Motorcycles will be charged 50% of the cash toll rate. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (MTRC)

Harry

In PA, you also get a discount with a separate motorcycle transponder. So we have separate ones for the cars and for each of the mbikes. Although, when your balance gets low on any of them, they charge $35.00 to each transponder unit! What a rip!!

With the PA Turnpike a constant presence in my life, I need to figure out the best way to mount an EZ-Pass to my bike. I've read through some of the older threads on the topic, and it sounds like an exterior transponder mounted to the front forks works well. Does anyone happen to have a picture what this looks like?

I'm also considering this EZ Toll product (a mesh bag that ties onto the bike): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkpOsbZnos

Does anyone have any experience with this solution? It seems like an inexpensive option if it works.

I don't have a map bag, and I'm not ready to spend $50+ on a special mount just for EZ-Pass.

Thanks!

Will,
I ride a GS and I used the velcro-like adhesive that comes with the tag inside the handle-guard and I (re)secured it with cable-tie.
It may not be elegant, but works perfectly.
Best,
Marcelo

I've carried my ezpass in both jacket pockets and tank bags with pretty good success. I did get caught last summer in IL, couldnt open a couple of gates no matter how much I waved that blasted thing over my head. No attendant only an intercom back to some central location, which was comedy all its own, here I am on the highway, cars zipping past, helmet, earplugs, a lousy speaker, couldnt find my reading glass's and trying to read back the 199 digit alphanumeric code on the back of the transponder. I think they finally got frustrated with me and opened the gate to just get rid of me. Those were the only spots I had an issue with. I will be mounting it on the inside of the scout faring windshield this spring, 3m dual lock strips, Maine Turnpike provides them for free, stuff holds very well.

EZ Pass

I have a Florida EZ pass, put in my pocket, leather jacket and it works fine. Just have to make sure you have it facing to the front as it would be on the windshield of your vehicle.

If you plan on using an E-ZPass on a road trip, don't wait until the last minute. It took three weeks to get my tags (transponders) and "plans" sorted out in my New York E-ZPass account, with a couple of phone calls to customer service.

Harry

Sensitive to Orientation

You need to be aware that EZ Pass transponders are sensitive to how they are oriented/displayed. They need to be facing similar to how they would be mounted in a car windshield. Turned 180 degrees, won't respond; 90 out of alignment may or may not respond; in a jacket pocket facing 90 degrees forward, probably won't respond.

Back