• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"88 K75S brake rotars

OLDPILOT

oldpilot
My just purchased winter project with 124,000 miles runs well but needs some things
replaced like the brake rotors. They look worn compared to my K100rs with 30k miles,
but I have not miked them yet to see how bad they may be worn.
My question is, sources for replacements?
New parts look to be Very expensive from BMW.
Ebay is a possibility but unknown quality of what you buy.
Suggestions?

Motobins.co.uk has the identical replacement for $260-ish. I've always been happy with their service.

My just purchased winter project with 124,000 miles runs well but needs some things
replaced like the brake rotors. They look worn compared to my K100rs with 30k miles,
but I have not miked them yet to see how bad they may be worn.
My question is, sources for replacements?
New parts look to be Very expensive from BMW.
Ebay is a possibility but unknown quality of what you buy.
Suggestions?

Many people buy new aftermarket rotors from EBC or Braking. Less expensive than stock.

Last edited:
Spiegler Performance offers a rotor conversion program - you send them your rotors and they convert them to floaters. I had them do this on my R65LS and wished I'd done it on my K75s. The turnaround is fast, price is reasonable and the finished product is beautiful.

Spiegler supports BMW MOA, advertises regularly and has a booth at the rallys.

Also a very good resource for stainless steel brake lines and brake pads.

Good Luck.

Spiegler Performance offers a rotor conversion program - you send them your rotors and they convert them to floaters. I had them do this on my R65LS and wished I'd done it on my K75s. The turnaround is fast, price is reasonable and the finished product is beautiful.

Spiegler supports BMW MOA, advertises regularly and has a booth at the rallys.

Also a very good resource for stainless steel brake lines and brake pads.

Good Luck.
How much was the conversion and why did you get them done on your R65LS? Was it pulsations in your front handle or rear brake pedal?

Why I Converted

The OEM Rotors on my R65LS were grotesque from sitting outside for however long the PO neglected this wonderful piece of art.

This is how they looked before sending them to Spiegler.

Attachments

• r65hubbeforeconversion.jpg
    r65hubbeforeconversion.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 78
The Price I Had to Pay

Prices taken from Spiegerusa.com website:

http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/bmw-rotor-conversions.html
Looks like I paid @ $250 including tax.

This is what I got back! Floating brakes are Niiice!!!

My understanding is they preserve the hub - bead blast, etc. and install new rotors. I interviewed the owner Matthias Schaub, owner a couple years ago when I wrote a story for MOA about brakes. This guy knows his stuff - a real German engineer from Germany. He also is a flat track racer and walks the talk.

Attachments

• r65floatingrotor.jpg
    r65floatingrotor.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Prices taken from Spiegerusa.com website:

http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/bmw-rotor-conversions.html
Looks like I paid @ $250 including tax.

This is what I got back! Floating brakes are Niiice!!!

My understanding is they preserve the hub - bead blast, etc. and install new rotors. I interviewed the owner Matthias Schaub, owner a couple years ago when I wrote a story for MOA about brakes. This guy knows his stuff - a real German engineer from Germany. He also is a flat track racer and walks the talk.

Beautiful work! Good to know. :thumb

My just purchased winter project with 124,000 miles runs well but needs some things replaced like the brake rotors. .....

I went with new EBC rotors on the front. They're OK, not great, relatively less expensive, but don't be too fooled by the "floating rotor look". Mine show no "float" at all. I did have some trouble getting two rotors to run true within their calipers. When I first mounted the rotors, I immediately had severe frontend chatter under moderate braking. The dealer replaced one of the two rotors and the chatter disappeared.

I went with new EBC rotors on the front. They're OK, not great, relatively less expensive, but don't be too fooled by the "floating rotor look". Mine show no "float" at all. I did have some trouble getting two rotors to run true within their calipers. When I first mounted the rotors, I immediately had severe frontend chatter under moderate braking. The dealer replaced one of the two rotors and the chatter disappeared.

I also had a lot of trouble with the EBC's. After 20k miles, one of them locked up tight, and the other jangled over bumps like a piece of chain, and this design was not rebuildable.

Its too bad.....when they were new, they were great.

Ebc

I put EBC rotors front and back on my 87 K75S and have had no problems for 25k miles. But I must say the Spiegler rebuilds look beautiful and if the total price for the two fronts was $250 I would not hesitate to use them. I have their stainless steel brake lines and they are excellent.

Back