Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 93 K75S - Replacement Shock Options

93 K75S - Replacement Shock Options

I am going to replace the OEM shock off my 93 K75S.

I have choices and would like to know the opinions of those who have replaced their shocks recently.

A&S Cycle sells two Progressive Suspension models: 465 Series Monotube Shock, $495.95 and the 412 Series Shock, $299.95. Is the extra $200 dollars worth it considering I rarely mess around with daily adjustments? If someone has the 465, feel free to post an image of where you installed the adjustment knob.

There is also the Works, Wilbers and surely many others.

Ghyber
    Last edited by ghyber; 12-22-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: model error
    1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Generally, the more you spend the better the shock. But if your riding is not too aggressive the big buck shocks may be money wasted. I was budget constrained last year and picked up a 3/4" shorter 412 here (normal ht available too) http://powersport-superstore-inc.ama...B0012TSYXS.htm for $220 or so. Great replacement shock. It has adjustment for prelaod, which is enough for me. If money is no obstacle, consider Wilbers or Ohlins.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

3 Red Bricks
    I run the 412s on my bikes and have been very happy with them. I also use the Progressive front springs.

I ride very aggressively. The best shock is more about balance (front to rear) than about how many extra adjustments you have left over once you find that balance. The Progressive 412 has a good spring rate balance to their front springs and the dampening is very close to the front if you use 7 1/2 weight oil in the front. The 5 click preload adjustment is WAY more convenient for adjusting for two up or camping loads than the PITA threaded type.

They are not rebuildable, but if you ship it to them, they will replace the damper with a NEW one for way less than the cost of a typical rebuild.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Is there a quick way to find out what type of front springs the former owner installed or if even they were ever replaced from the OEM?

35634 mentioned price as a determining factor for better shocks. What do you think about the 465 vs the 412?

The website 35634 provided is very aggressively priced as compared to the selling price at A&S (I know it is a dealer, but whoa! )
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Blocking the slow lane
    Something no one ever mentions about shocks is that there is only one brand which fetches decent resale on the used market, and that is Ohlins.

Spend $700 on a new one now, and when you decide to move to your next bike, the used shock is still worth $450-500 on the Flea Market or on Advrider. So the actual cost of Ohlins shock ownership is very low.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    Something no one ever mentions about shocks is that there is only one brand which fetches decent resale on the used market, and that is Ohlins.

Spend $700 on a new one now, and when you decide to move to your next bike, the used shock is still worth $450-500 on the Flea Market or on Advrider. So the actual cost of Ohlins shock ownership is very low.
    Unfortunately, I did not find an Ohlins shock produced for the 93 K75S.
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyber View Post
    Is there a quick way to find out what type of front springs the former owner installed or if even they were ever replaced from the OEM?

35634 mentioned price as a determining factor for better shocks. What do you think about the 465 vs the 412?

The website 35634 provided is very aggressively priced as compared to the selling price at A&S (I know it is a dealer, but whoa! )
    Ask the former owner?

Other than that, you would have to look at the spring. Progressive Suspension springs are progressively wound (more coils per inch at one end than the other). Other companies make progressively wound springs too , so that is not a fool proof way of telling what you have. I don't remember if there are any markings on the spring.

Since your bike is a '93 (you might want to edit your first post where you said it was a C) you have the newer Showa forks. They are different than the early Sport forks that are on my bikes. The stock Showa springs MAY be suitable with the Progressive rear shock. If not, you can change the front springs AFTER you've ridden the bike for awhile. They're only about $60.

Also, my earlier comment about 7 1/2 weight oil might not be applicable for Showa forks.

I have a new 465 that I haven't tried yet, but I do know it would be more of a pain to change the pre-load (it is the threaded type) every time I go camping or go for day rides while at a rally or take my wife's cousin for a ride.

Last edited by 98lee; 07-07-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

the big deal of shocks with multiple adjsutment settings is not about changing them all the time. its about being able to find your "Goldilocks"- just right. a shock with fewer adjustments may only provide "too cold" or "too hot"- no Goldilocks.
    once determined, i have only adjusted my rebound or damping adjustments maybe 3 times in 6 or 7 years. i use the preload to adjust for added weight, that's it.
    no feedback regarding the Progressives, other than to ask- are they readily rebuildable?
    shocks last about 30-35K, really nothing more than that, often less. with a rebuildable shock, you get a "new one" for about $75-100, as opposed to replacing a non-rebuildable for its new purchase price. over time, that can equalize the initial cost somewhat.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Ohlins made at least two shocks for the K75 (and K100), for ABS-equipped models and for non-ABS. The ABS-specific fits both ABS and non-ABS, but the non-ABS will not fit as the ABS can obstructs it.

I regularly scan eBay, MOA Flea Market, IBMWR List and Craigs List for the ABS-equipped one. Luckily the fitment (from the manual) for the ABS model is:

K 100 RS (ABS) 1988-89
    K 100 RT (ABS) 1988-91
    K 100 LT (ABS) 1988-91
    K 75 (ABS) -1995 (All)

So there are a few floating around.
    Last edited by ted; 12-24-2011 at 04:09 AM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post

no feedback regarding the Progressives, other than to ask- are they readily rebuildable?
    The 465 are rebuildable. Like I said before, the 412 is not rebuildable, but if you send the whole shock to Progressive, they will REPLACE the DAMPER with a NEW one for the price you pay to rebuild a rebuildable damper.

When shocks are rebuilt, generally only the seals and a few pieces in the valving are replaced. A complete NEW damper (minus the spring) is a pretty good deal compared to REBUILDING.

The 412 has a quicker and easier preload adjustment compared to the 465 or any other threaded preload adjustment.

Since the K75 does not have an adjustable front suspension, the range of rear adjustment needed to properly balance the bike is greatly reduced. On bikes with front shocks or adjustable forks or fork emulators, a wider range of adjustment would be more advantageous.

That being said, the proper shock is what ever floats your boat. If you like it, it's right for you. But "you get what you pay for" is not always a black and white truism. There is also something to be said for the law of diminishing returns.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

412 Shocks and Progressive Springs

I have had Progressive 412's on my 87 K75S for about four years - I find they work well for me. I'm about 165 lbs and almost always ride solo. They have sufficient pre-load adjustability for trips where I am carrying my luggage cases (I only have factory side cases, no Givi-type top case). For the money they are a very commendable shock. I think for moderate drivers they are an adequate and affordable item. As Lee pointed out you can get them "serviced" if you feel they have come to the end of their useful life.

As far as front fork springs, I installed the Progressive springs at the same time as I installed the rear shock. The stock springs, at least on my K75S, actually were two pieces separated by a nylon bushing. The Progressive fork springs are one piece. Since it was a while ago I don't recall whether there were any manufacturers markings on the springs. Like the rear shock I have been very happy with the changes I made to the front suspension.

I also added floating EBC front rotors, stainless steel brake lines all around, and an EBC rear rotor as well. The bike stops very well for a non-ABS system. Aside from some PIAA lights, hyperlight running lights, a headlight modulator, and a flashing brake light everything else is BMW on the bike as far as manufacture.

I think the 412's are good!
    Tom Mieczkowski
    1987 K75S

I got some feedback from Wilbers and they have a 630 Sportline shock and fork spring for approximately $688.00 USD.

I guess it is a toss for me between the Progressive 465 + Progressive Fork Spring Aluminium combo and the Wilbers 630, a difference of $261.

Does the disassembly and installation of fork springsg require any special tools and expertise? Just looking for insight, I haven't read the appropriate chapter in my manuals yet.
    Last edited by ghyber; 12-25-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammar
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

93 K75S Showa Fork Springs

Replacement Wilbers Progressive fork springs are on their way and will be replacing my 20 year old OEM fork springs for 93 K75S next week.

Just curious as to which parts if any on the schematic below will get left out?

Is a fork spring replacement drop and go, the basic equivalent of the bolt-on shock?

My intention is use 410 cc of 10wt fork oil as per the Clymers Supplement.

2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

I am going to answer my own question. When replacing the OEM fork springs, I left out the spacer tube parts #6. I kept the shim, part #7 and installed it between the Wilbers replacement progressive fork springs and the spring retainer.

To get the spring retainer snap ring, part number #3 out, I used a simple $7 light duty gear puller; worked like a charm and adding fork oil was so much easier than using the fill plug fillister head screw.
    Last edited by ghyber; 07-07-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added info
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

RAYMCANNON
    Quote Originally Posted by ghyber View Post
    I am going to replace the OEM shock off my 93 K75S.

I have choices and would like to know the opinions of those who have replaced their shocks recently.

A&S Cycle sells two Progressive Suspension models: 465 Series Monotube Shock, $495.95 and the 412 Series Shock, $299.95. Is the extra $200 dollars worth it considering I rarely mess around with daily adjustments? If someone has the 465, feel free to post an image of where you installed the adjustment knob.

There is also the Works, Wilbers and surely many others.

Ghyber
    I have had a"WORKS" SHOCK on my 1988 K75 for about 7 years. It's great!