• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Extended Warranty

DENKAR55

Does anybody know if in fact there are extended warranties for BMW's after the original warranty is gone?

My warranty from BMW is ending in 4 months. :bolt

Wanted to know if BMW will extend it or is it up to me to find another warranty outside BMW?

Thanks
Dennis
R1200RT

I had an extended warranty on my R1150RS and the clutch slave started to leak, come to find out that the slave wasn't covered, neither was the clutch. I can understand the clutch as some people can burn up a clutch. Kind of like brake pads not being covered. I tried very hard to get the slave covered. The rep said only internal engine parts, so I tried to work that but to no avail. I've never been so pissed off in my life at anyone or company. I got absolutely nowhere, when I realized that nothing was going to be done...then I cut loose on the guy.

Read the fine print and understand what's not covered as it might bite you in the arse.

BTW- I got very lucky and caught the leak early and the clutch wasn't wet. Could have been quite costly to fix....and no warranty.

I will never buy an extended warranty, as the odds are very good that they will make money off of you. Why else would it be offered. IF you do have a claim.....how much have you paid for the warranty...$900.......that's a major repair. Yes bikes do have catastrophic failures, but for me I'll take the "gamble." Extended warranties prey on fears of the potential customers.

An aftermarket "Extended Warraanty" is no a warranty at all but is mechanical breakdown insurance with a bunch of exclusions that exclude things that are likely to happen. They are a high profit product and pay high commissions for a reason. They don't pay for much. The large print givith and the small print taketh away.

Warranty

Well it sounds like gambling to me. Maybe it will be worth it and maybe not.

If something major mechanical breaks its a wonderful thing, money well spent. If something else breaks not covered by insurance, its a rip off! Hmmm sounds like Las Vegas........I have to think about it and read all the exclusions when given the paperwork....

Dennis Trovato
R1200RT

extended

I paid $1100something for at total of 7yrs; not thru the dealer; very pleased - they replaced a total final drive; also the fuel sensor strip - I have effectively 'doubled' my cost in payback. Pinnacle Protection Plans

Is it worth it? Yep, it was to me butt then I have a quarter-million miles on 2 bikes that are 11 and 4 years old...;)

Warranty

Sounds great. I will read and research everything! Then make my decision.

Dennis Trovato
R1200RT

Not covered: bolts that loosen and cause damage , any part that eventual
Wear out, damage caused by what is not covered or damage that is caused by what is covered. Do theses aftermarket plans ever pay out?

Understand this; BMW has NOTHING to do with these policies. They are sold by insurance companies that contract dealers as agents. Its no different than health insurance.

Not covered: bolts that loosen and cause damage , any part that eventual
Wear out, damage caused by what is not covered or damage that is caused by what is covered. Do theses aftermarket plans ever pay out?

My aftermarket plan,, purchased for $599 in January of '09, has paid for a new Final Drive ($2,000), Transmission Seals ($200) and the repair of a broken Side Case Latch Mechanism ($200).............. so far.

Two more years of protection left yet.

These plans are not all 'smoke and mirrors,' as some would have you think. Research carefully what you are buying, and if it will cover what you worry about the most.

For me, an outstanding bargain and a good business decision, given that BMW's once vaunted reputation for reliability is what all the 'smoke and mirrors' seem to be concealing these days! :deal

Last edited:
Curious as to name of provider of your policy. Price is eye catching.

It was Contego, purchased in February of 2009, via the internet. Since then, I have seen indications that Contego may have been sold to another 'administrator,' and I'm sure the price is no longer $599 !

Good luck nevertheless. :german

Last edited:
Back