• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Yellowstone in Late May?

greenwald

Have been doing some research for a ride with a buddy out west to South Dakota and on to Yellowstone in late May/early June in 2012.

Getting 'vibes' that this may not be a good time of year for Yellowstone, due to weather issues?

For those who have ridden out there around that time of year, what say ye?

Thanks - Kevin

I don't know the answer to your weather question, Kevin, but if you can, take WY120 NW from Cody, then go west on WY 296 (the Chief Joseph Highway) over Dead Indian Pass. The sudden view of the Rockies as you crest the pass is jaw-dropping.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

List 2012 Spring dates. Of course this all depends on the snow the park gets this winter :)

2012 Spring Road Opening:
Some park areas, entrances and roads are not open year-round! Most park roads are not open to motorized vehicle traffic between mid-March and mid-April while the roads are being plowed. The closed roads will begin re-opening starting April 20. See the spring schedule below for details. The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is open all year. Please note that this road is closed to east/west travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to late spring.

Roads will open, weather permitting, to motorized, wheeled vehicles as follows:

April 20, 2012-Weather permitting, west-side roads open to motor vehicles. Visitors will be able to travel by car through the park's North & West Entrances to Norris, Madison, Canyon, & Old Faithful beginning at 8:00 a.m.
May 4, 2012-Weather permitting, the road linking Canyon, Fishing Bridge, & the East Entrance opens to wheeled vehicles.
May 11, 2012-Travel from the South Entrance to Grant, West Thumb, Fishing Bridge, & Lake over Craig Pass to Old Faithful open to wheeled vehicles. Also, Tower Junction to Tower Fall opens to wheeled vehicles. The road from Cooke City over Colter Pass to the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway intersection to the Long Lake gate shall open as soon thereafter as possible. For information on roads outside of the park from Cooke City via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, travelers in Wyoming may dial 511; those outside of Wyoming may call 1-888-996-7623, or visit the Wyoming Department of Transportation website at http://www.wyoroad.info/ .
May 25- (weather permitting) Dunraven Pass (Tower to Canyon).
May 25-(weather permitting)-Long Lake Gate over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana. For information on the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana, travelers in Montana may dial 511; those outside Montana may call 1-800-226-7623, or visit the Montana Department of Transportation website at http://mdt511.com/ .

In the spring, before park roads open to motorized vehicles, some roads are open to non-motorized recreational vehicles such as bicycles, roller skis, and roller blades. There will be some administrative vehicles traveling the roads at this time so be careful. See the Spring Biking Page for a map and more information.

Depends on how late in May. Early June should find the roads open. I have, however been snowed on north of the park in July, and seen frost on the pumpkin and bike seat in both July and August.

So, roadwise things should be fine. Expect cool or cold weather if camping.

Have fun!

Depends on how late in May. Early June should find the roads open. I have, however been snowed on north of the park in July, and seen frost on the pumpkin and bike seat in both July and August.

So, roadwise things should be fine. Expect cool or cold weather if camping.

Have fun!

Won't leave until after Memorial Day weekend. As for 'camping,' riding buddy will be a 70'ish retired Sheriff with his new Ultra-Classic H-D. I know his idea of 'roughing it' will be having to cross the street from the motel to get to a restaurant! :laugh

I don't know the answer to your weather question, Kevin, but if you can, take WY120 NW from Cody, then go west on WY 296 (the Chief Joseph Highway) over Dead Indian Pass. The sudden view of the Rockies as you crest the pass is jaw-dropping.

So noted. Sounds like a 'Kodak Moment!' :thumb

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

List 2012 Spring dates. Of course this all depends on the snow the park gets this winter :)

2012 Spring Road Opening:
Some park areas, entrances and roads are not open year-round! Most park roads are not open to motorized vehicle traffic between mid-March and mid-April while the roads are being plowed. The closed roads will begin re-opening starting April 20. See the spring schedule below for details. The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is open all year. Please note that this road is closed to east/west travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to late spring.

Roads will open, weather permitting, to motorized, wheeled vehicles as follows:

April 20, 2012-Weather permitting, west-side roads open to motor vehicles. Visitors will be able to travel by car through the park's North & West Entrances to Norris, Madison, Canyon, & Old Faithful beginning at 8:00 a.m.
May 4, 2012-Weather permitting, the road linking Canyon, Fishing Bridge, & the East Entrance opens to wheeled vehicles.
May 11, 2012-Travel from the South Entrance to Grant, West Thumb, Fishing Bridge, & Lake over Craig Pass to Old Faithful open to wheeled vehicles. Also, Tower Junction to Tower Fall opens to wheeled vehicles. The road from Cooke City over Colter Pass to the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway intersection to the Long Lake gate shall open as soon thereafter as possible. For information on roads outside of the park from Cooke City via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, travelers in Wyoming may dial 511; those outside of Wyoming may call 1-888-996-7623, or visit the Wyoming Department of Transportation website at http://www.wyoroad.info/ .
May 25- (weather permitting) Dunraven Pass (Tower to Canyon).
May 25-(weather permitting)-Long Lake Gate over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana. For information on the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana, travelers in Montana may dial 511; those outside Montana may call 1-800-226-7623, or visit the Montana Department of Transportation website at http://mdt511.com/ .

In the spring, before park roads open to motorized vehicles, some roads are open to non-motorized recreational vehicles such as bicycles, roller skis, and roller blades. There will be some administrative vehicles traveling the roads at this time so be careful. See the Spring Biking Page for a map and more information.

Printed all of this off - many thanks! :type

We were in the park the last week of May a few years ago. Roads clear, weather cold and windy. Few people, many critters.

We rode up through Yellowstone from the Grand Tetons in late May 2009 coming home from Utah. The roads were fine, the temperatures were a bit cool but not cold. There was still deep snow at the top of the divide alongside the road and the lakes were still frozen over. The roads themselves were clear and mostly dry. We did ride through a small blizzard coming out of Butte on the trip down.

Kevin:

The elevation of the junction of the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highways is about 10,000 feet, so I wouldn't bet on it being open in early June. But you can get updates from the Highway websites as you approach the area.

In any event, Highway 20 from Cody, into the Park is an excellent ride.

I was there last year at the end of May..that will be good most years.
As your journey nears, check park status for openings and closures on routes. I have been disappointed before in the month of May in and around the park.

The earlier the better as far as wildlife....and the missing the masses of people. The people thing use to be way less.

.......oh well.

I was there this year in July

Hi, The answer is you will never know until you get there. I went the 1st of June this year...was clear in Yellowstone when I left Texas...By the time I got there the road to Red Lodge over the Bear tooth was closed, just too much snow. So, I went to Missoula, Mt. and thought about going up to glacier but it was all snowed in also. Going East out of missoula was freezing rain so I high-tailed it South down through Idaho and Utah just to reach some warmer weather. I heard that at that time it was snowing in Yellowstone again. Next time I'll wait until the end of July before I go; it will be more crowded but it should be warmer. If you go in May, be prepared. Have waterproof everything, especially boots, gloves and be sure they work. I thought I had waterproof boots but about 50 miles East of Missoula my feet were soaked and freezing. A nice guy at a cafe gave me two trash bags. I put on dry socks, put the bags on my feet and then back into my boots, then rode South as fast as I could.
By the time I got back home through 600 miles of West Texas heat, I was burnt toast. It sure was fun. So, the answer again is, you won't know till ya get there which makes it a lot more interesting.

Last edited:
I was there in the middle of June one year and spent two of the coldest nights camping I can remember. Woke up to 4 inches of snow one morning. Rain and wind on and off. A great time was had by all. Just watch the weather and bring your cold weather riding gear. The park is at over 6000 feet and it gets real cold there at night.

I was there in the middle of June one year and spent two of the coldest nights camping I can remember. Woke up to 4 inches of snow one morning. Rain and wind on and off. A great time was had by all. Just watch the weather and bring your cold weather riding gear. The park is at over 6000 feet and it gets real cold there at night.

Thanks for the 'heads-up.' Any visit to the Park would be a daytime drive-thru. 'Camping' would be a motel at night somewhere east of Yellowstone, and at a lower altitude. :wave

Back