• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Montana rider seeks advice......

bigskyrider

Hello Southern Riders,

My wife and I purchased a new bike in Florida and are going to escape the Montana winter for two weeks riding I-10 west.
Any advice on sights to see, places to sleep, eat.....dance, music-good roads off of I-10?
Leaving Jacksonville on Dec. 30th heading west, thinking about staying in Fort Walton Beach for the New Year.
After that going through Pensacola, New Orleans-San Antonio......to Tucson.
We have 12 days to play, appreciate any advice.

In Tucson I'll park the bike and fly home to work.

Best,

Mike Keller

The Texas Hill Country, a little north of San Antonio, has great roads for riding.
After the Hill Country, head west on Hwy 90 and visit Big Bend NP.

Instead of Ft. Walton, check out St. George's Island... much more Florida-y.

In this thread I made a couple of other posts about the funkier parts of Florida... but most of these sound like they're going to be out of your way.

From San Antonio, I strongly recommend you leave the slab and go across US90. Don't miss a visit with Judge Roy Bean in Langtry Texas. This way will make it easier for you to access the Big Bend area.

Here is an interesting little detour through New Mexico you might enjoy.

Watch your elevations... it could get very cold/snowy.....

ian

If you like white sand beaches and great seafood, take a look at Hwy 98 across the Panhandle of FL and AL to Mobile Bay. After that, I'd get back on I-10 and boogy on over to the Hill Country for a little two lane traveling. Houston traffic can be bypassed by catching Hwy 105 at Beaumont and taking it over towards Austin and the Hill Country.

The last time I headed for Tuscon in the Winter, it was snowing at Lordsburg, NM; so keep an eye on the weather.

Tom

Hi,
If you're hungry (dinner) approaching El Paso, TX, turn north into the desert at exit 49 (Fabens) and travel about 5 miles. You will reach Indian Cliffs Ranch, Cattlemens Steakhouse on your right. The steaks are wonderful. It's not cheap, but the food is great.

Thanks All......

Thanks to all for the advice....
The two challenges might be .......avoiding Houston traffic and winter near New Mexico.
And Tom, thanks for the detour info. around Houston!
I'll try to post some pics and a report along the way.

Best,

Mike

Back