• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

10 days, 13 states, 2,268 miles

scooter trash

I'll ride anything
This is a short description of our first BMW adventure. My wife and I each have a Harley. I have a 96 Springer Softail with 100,101 miles and my wife has a 2004 1200 Sportster with 28,000. We bought our first BMW a 2011 R1200RT the end of May and took a little ride to check it out. We started early Thursday morning from our home in Virginia Beach. Went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel thru Maryland to Lewes, Delaware for the Cape May Ferry to New Jersey. Stopped at my wifeÔÇÖs cousins for the night at Ocean Grove, New Jersey. Had a great time that night at Asbury Park. The next morning off to Cape May, Connecticut Spent most of the day sightseeing and shopping at Cape May. Day three had us riding thru Rhode Island and Massachusetts headed to route one in Maine. Stopped at Kennebunkport for a $16.00, 1 ?¢ lobster lunch and a tour bus ride of the area. Saw the Bush compound complete with black secret service suvÔÇÖs. On up to Portland, Maine for the night. Enjoyed dining at the waterfront eating more lobster. The next day up thru Main to New Hampshire for the ride up Mt. Washington. What a ride. If you do not like heights this might not be your thing. There are no guard rails and it is a narrow road, but the view is spectacular.
Down the mountain to Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. ItÔÇÖs July 3rd and saw a great 4th of July fireworks display provided by one of the residents that lived on the beach. The next day a ride thru Vermont back to Connecticut to spend the day with my daughter, her husband and my two grandchildren. Next day off to the Amish country in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Spent two days here great riding seeing all the covered bridges and beautiful country roads. Off to Altoona, PA to meet some old friends for the Tour de Toona bicycle race. We were going to help out with Fridays race but it was cancelled so we just hung out and saw some of the sights we could not see when we were working the event like the Horseshoe Curve. Wow itÔÇÖs is day ten already and we have to get back to work on Monday. Left PA down thru West Virginia and back to Virginia Beach. 10 days, 13 states, 2,268 miles, perfect weather, great sights, great food and most important what a GREAT ride.
The trip was originally set up for the Harleys, so most of the legs were only 150 to 200 miles per day. Hell we do 150 easy on our Harleys on a Saturday or Sunday just out riding around going nowhere. This was set up to give us time to see some of the sights the areas had to offer and not to tire out my wife on her Sportster. I know from riding with and listening to BMW riders that 150 to 200 miles a day is hardly worth doing, but if you are making a lot of stops on the way to read landmark signs and stopping to see historic buildings and things we found that 200 miles a day is just about right.
I still love my Harley, but for two up riding the RT is the only way to go. Now if I can just get my wife to stop screaming when we cut some mountain curves life would really be good !! For some reason I cannot seem to get her to want to drag a knee :dunno
Recap: Our tolls (bridge tunnel, ferry, toll roads) came out to almost as much as our fuel bill. The lobster in Maine was worth the trip even if we did not see anything. The ride up Mt. Washington was spectacular (if you do not mind heights). Lancaster, PA was the best riding of the trip. Spending the July 4th with my grandchildren playing baseball and the cookout priceless.

Next year Key West.

Scooters ÔÇô in ÔÇô the - wind

Sounds great! We too ride the RT1200 and reside in VA Beach. We have a trip planned to Vermont next summer (2up). I may head out to the RA Rally in Colorado as well. I got my wife an electric vest and now she's excited about winter riding.

I do not know where you are going in Vermont, but if it is in the northern part of the state Mount Washington, NH is not that far away and a must see. Trust me, it will be worth the ride.

What a grand time you had! I'm really glad you shared it here.

Voni
sMiling

Voni,
I am really blessed with a wonderful wife that loves to ride as much as I do. Next year we hope to ride down to Key West. Life is good!!:bliss

You are! Have a fantastic trip - and don't forget to share it with us!

Voni
sMiling

Back