• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why Ugly BMW's?

My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

• Ugly to the point I would not buy one

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

Votes: 86 50.9%

• Total voters
But probably I'll just continue be a grumpy old fart who's pissed that he can't buy a new BMW! Oh well. :cry

With 20% of the :gerg replies here, I would say your right:laugh

I used to think ALL BMW's looked "funny" back in my teens and twenties, now each one has appeal in some form or the other...to each his own. I don't call anyones bike ugly, not even the rusted 650 Bubba posted:whistle well, maybe that one needs some lovin'!

And it's purpose is??????????

I guess you missed it way back in post #12 where I said:
It focuses air into the oil cooler and keeps dirt out.

It's definitely functional for a bike intended to be ridden at least part of the time in the dirt.

It's fine if you don't like the way it looks, it's your own opinion. I own an R1200ST and think it is great, but I know that not too many other people share that opinion. Oh well, their loss.

I have read more than one anecdotal report of overheating when an aesthetic purist removed the beak. It does direct air up a little and into the oil cooler.

But since this is only stuff reported by folks who have experienced it, and not a double blind test conducted with calibrated temperature probes borrowed from NASA, I suppose we should just dismiss it all as internet bunk.

Whats with the broken back horse seat style? I won't buy one because I can't get my leg over the seat and feel balanced in the process. Why can't BMW make a conventional bike with the upgraded engine and suspension and make it rider friendy. They went from function yields form to form yields function. Moto Guzzi or Triumph will be my next machine.

Now here's my idea of an ugly bike.

KTM990Adventure042009.jpg

Last edited:
Whats with the broken back horse seat style?

Apparently some bike purchases are dependent upon the comfort of the SO and the SO is more likely to OK a bike where they sit up high so they can look over the riders shoulder instead of at the riders back.

Maybe blame Honda for that throne they put on the the back of the Gold Wing. :dunno

I have read more than one anecdotal report of overheating when an aesthetic purist removed the beak. It does direct air up a little and into the oil cooler.

But since this is only stuff reported by folks who have experienced it, and not a double blind test conducted with calibrated temperature probes borrowed from NASA, I suppose we should just dismiss it all as internet bunk.
Don't mean to blow you off on this idea, Paul, but I've not read about any aerodynamic considerations of this "beak" feature. But I've been out of the BMW loop for a few years and haven't been keeping up on my reading, so I need to catch up.

Perhaps BMW's wind tunnel has something to say about this question? As you suggest, I don't find anecdotal reports overly convincing.:dunno

Are you serious? Has BMW really done this for a reason other than to just piss me off? :laugh

Hey, this could be fun! What's your idea of an ugly bike? :scratch I think you might guess my candidate!!
(PS Mark, the pic in your post didn't show up in my browser)
Fixed my pic above. I'm guessing the forum didn't like me linking to that website.

Two of the things I'll take from this thread.

First thew GS is the #1 seller worldwide.
That is the only poll that counts to corporate policymakers.

Second, "But probably I'll just continue be a grumpy old fart who's pissed that he can't buy a new BMW!"

Since the word ugly has roots meaning "to fear", perhaps the GS is ugly, because all the other marques seem to try to design a bike to beat it and so far no one has.
Truly something to be feared, IMO.

:laughA few pretty shots: enjoy my fellow Grumpies

502257987_5Eiab-M.jpg

Helen wanted to ride this one :laugh

HP2-photo2-L.jpg

necessary beak...cool

GS-knee-draggin-M.jpg

holding it's own...room to spare...aero beak

Back