• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2011 vs 2012 BMW S1000RR

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
Has anyone (perhaps a dealer) had the opportunity to ride a 2011 and 2012 RR back to back for comparison? Is there any noticeable difference for the average (or even above average) rider or are the benefits of the enhanced torque curve, revised steering head angle, etc. only beneficial to the most able of racers? Just curious if I should hold off or jump on the first decent 2011 deal I can find.

Kent

I'm in the same predicament :cry

I read the RoadRacingWorld review of the 2012 version of the S1000RR and found it really intriguing from the trackday / club racer perspective.
Now, if i can convince the S.O. that another track-only bike is needed in the garage...

Track Only?

I have had a few 300+ mile days. I suffer from carpal tunnel on my right wrist so I am limited. The S1000RR is so easy to drive and is so docile that it can be much more than track only.
I drive it in my work and whether in heavy rain or perfect conditions I have never felt I was in jeopardy. It is smooth, easily managed and can really eat the miles.
I wouldn't call it an Iron Butt contender but it is very comfortable.
The modes allow it to change personality. The bike becomes a little edgier as you change from rain to sport to race to slick. I usually ride in sport or race except in rainy weather.
It is also a pretty bike. Nice proportions and visually striking.
I have read the 2012 press release from BMW Motorrad and it sounds like color changes are the main difference. I don't see how most of it could be improved.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

from all I have read, BMW has made some subtle but nice changes in the chassis and power delivery that by all accounts make the bike an even more potent track weapon, that said if it is going to be primarily street duty with some trackdays, for my money I would get the best deal I could on a 2011 and throw some money into upgrading the suspension. FWIW as to colors for me I like the original motorsports colors still better than any other with the 2012 red a close second

I think the 2012 red color is to die for.

I will be picking one up come spring if I can swing it.

I have read that the throttle return spring requires less effort to overcome on the '12

Yes, most of what's been shared here has been listed on previous notifications. I'm most curious how well it all works together and whether an old dude like me could ever realize the benefit of these changes.

I should mention I am also very intrigued by Ducati's new 1199 Panigale -- it has a substantial weight advantage over the S1000RR and I find the styling absolutely stunning. I've never ridden a Ducati but I've looked an 1198S over closely and sat on one -- ball-crusher gas tank and bed-of-nails seat would make for a painful (but no doubt thrilling) ride. I'm certain the S1000RR is far more tolerable as I have ridden a 2010 for an hour and had no issues.

Any comments on the Ducati? Have any of you ridden that bike yet and have a basis for comparing to the RR?

Kent

Only experience with Ducati's is with their suspension. Sag numbers in the 40mm in front, high 20's in rear. 20 minutes of measuring and adjusting got them within tolerable levels for the street (35mm frt and rear is my starting point). As for an old-dude realizing these changes, you only live once.:buds

2010 vs 2012

I have a 2010 model with about 5000 miles on it. No track days, just commuting and a trip through Nevada, California and Utah. I just picked up my 2012 in red and white and though I've only ridden it less than 100 miles, I can come up with a few improvements. The seat is much more comfortable for starters. I can tell that it supports me better than the 2010 seat. Another improvement is the heated grips. I'm in Boise, ID and we can ride just about year round weather permitting. BMW put an icon up on the display so you know which setting you have it on without looking down at the handlebar controls. The most important improvements by far are the power range and handling improvements. I'm still in Service mode but the power is definitely there midrange when you twist the throttle. The steering stabilizer is a lot better on the 2012. I love the redesigned tail section. I still love my 2010 tri-color but there's something about that red and white scheme that makes me smile. Way to go BMW!

RR Comments

I read a review of the bike in Superbike, a UK publication. It was very detailed and well written (if you can get past all of the odd expressions the Brits use)

The net of it was the 2012 is much more pleasant to ride - more low end torque, easier throttle effort, and a bunch of new electronics, starting off with heated grips, perfect for an old fart like myself. If you can find the magazine, have a look.

In fact, I got hooked, and bought one! When I was at the dealer, the sales mgr showed me all of the internal BMW stuff about the new bike. Quite revealing, if you like German engineering stuff.

I pick it up this week and am quite excited.

Back