• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve Job:Recomendations

I have 1983 R100 no history,18K dual plugged.There appears to be about 1/8"+ adj.on one and 1/8"-on the other exhuast valves.I,m aware of the seat problem.I'm looking for recomendations to have the work done and does anyone have experence dealing with Motro Works Pro.Machining,adv.in ABC,they look to have a quick turn around.Should I tear it down or just go for the valve job?

Do you have any history or data points of the clearance closing up? That's what I'd base my decision on. If the gap began to close up rapidly, say every 500 miles, then I'd bite the bullet and do it. But if not, I'd be inclined to ride and check. At 18K miles, you're on the low end of the problem range. The 1000cc bikes were more prone to the problem, although my Dad's '81 R100RT went 65K miles with no problems...he then traded up to a KLT.

I did adjust the valves 500 miles ago and one was closed and the other tighter,but here's the deal.I didn't rotate the engine to recheck after the inital adj.so I'm not sure if the second check is accurate.The one exhust valve has noticable less adj left.Like 1/16"

Well, if you're getting that kind of closure rate (be sure and perform the setting and checking of the clearances correctly) and you have very little threads left on the adjuster, then you're probably looking at needing a valve job.

Porter does EXCELLENT work.

However, he quotes turnaround time in dogyears so, 3 weeks = 21 weeks

Hill Headworks,
615 Northwest 45th Street,
Seattle, WA

5 years ago I had them install:
unleaded vave seats
4 new valve guides
4 new valves
valve job install
bead blast heads
repair one rocker stud, helicoil

$350 including shipping to NY

I recently sold the 1983 R100RS that that I rode Coast-to-coast in 2009.

When I bought the bike, we did a very thorough mechanical refurbish and didn't see anything that might have been a serious problem but a few thousand fast miles later, the right head had developed a badly recessed exhaust valve.

Heres the head. The intake valve loks fine but the exhaust valve is on it's way to China!:

CopyofK-BikeBars017.jpg

Heres whats left of the seat:

K-BikeBars027.jpg

Heres the valve:

CopyofK-BikeBars018.jpg

Luckily, I pulled the bike into the Airhead tent at the National Rally because I thought it needed a tune-up and one of the guys looked into the head using a flashlight and noticed the recessed valve. No wonder it was running so badly and additional 1K miles at my 80 mph cruise speed, would have seen the valve ingested and a lot of expensive damage, a long way from home.

The 1983 R100 engines are known for developing recessed exhaust valves, so it's kinda, "Pay me now or pay me later", so don't fool around. If you intend to keep the bike, pull your plugs and look at the valves using an inspection light. If you can see a valve recessing, send both heads out to be refurbished as soon as you can afford to do so. You'll almost certainly want new valves, seats, springs, etc. If you don't see anything alarming, I'd still pull the offending head and take a close look at it.

If MR CAINEY actually had his heads rebuilt for $350, thats an astoundingly good price! I had the Big Valve heads on my current R100 engine completely rebuilt using Black Diamond Valves and all bells and whistles and it cost me about twice that much.

You should get some estimates and compare prices but have the work done by someone you who knows what they're doing and that you know you can trust to stand behind the job.

PS; I don't use Ted Porter but he has a terrific reputation out here on the west Coast. I'll probably have him dual plug my heads when the time comes.

Back