Thread: 60/us

60/us

W hat would a 69 R60US in "barn find" condition be worth? It is complete with 90 thousand miles showing and no info on past history. It was last licensed in 82 and the engine turns freely with compression. It is owned by a widow and my plan is to clean it up and sell it for her.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

US models are not all that collectable, although they represent what BMW went to with the /5. The US models were built in small numbers, but that still doesn't seem to help with their desireability.

For a bike with a possible 90K having not been run in maybe 20 years, it's probably worth less than $2K maybe down towards $1K? To get it up and running and be dependable, it'll take $5-8K depending on how much work you can do versus farming it out. And then, you really only have a bike worth $5-8K. Very nice ground up restorations by experts are selling for over $20K but mechanical restorations on something that has been sitting is going to be way less.

It's a shame to not get it back up and running. In the end, it might be just a parts bike.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Will need to know a couple thing, paint, body work shape, does it run. With that high of miles most likely needs a good look at the motor. Just a ballpark.. In poor $1200 to $1800n fair $2000 to $3000 in good $3000 to ?.... Clean it up good, Get the bike running, the better it looks the more u will get for her. Remember its a R60us not a 69s

Check to be sure the numbers match...that fetches more money in most situations.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The paint and body look pretty good. It is covered with dust. The fork gaiters are shot and the final drive seeps. It will be a while before I can get it out of the shop to clean it up and get a better idea of cosmetic condition.

Would it be a good idea to start it? I wonder about the crank condition.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    Would it be a good idea to start it? I wonder about the crank condition.
    I probably would but take a lot of time cleaning things up. Like maybe flushing the inside case with kerosene both from the top and bottom. You really should pull the cylinders and thoroughly inspect the top end, checking for proper dimension, rust in the cylinder walls, etc. Probably end up replacing things. You can then get the chance to clean the bottom end through the engine case.

I might get it running but only do so for say 100-200 miles or something like that. The intention would be to just see what is working to get a better idea of the final overhaul. I haven't heard too much problems with the cranks themselves but if the slingers are full, that will be a problem. At 90K, I'd bet they're pretty full.

photos

posting photos of it would be helpful.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Thanks everyone. I plan on cleaning it up and posting photos here.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Some do's and some don'ts

Do be open minded about the bike, its aa antique and was produced in very low numbers.
    Do pay attention to detail as there are things unique to an R 60US and no others
    Do try to get the bike running as it will affect the asking price and tell a potential buyer just what kind of $$$ they might spend to get a rider or restoration project.
    Do be honest in all your representations of what the bike actually is.
    Do as little as possible to get the bike running and moving for a test ride

Don't go to far with it, if the motor turns and you get it running GREAT it adds value but if its frozen don't waste the widows money and patience freeing it up and trying to get it to go, sell it for parts.
    Don't flush with anything including kerosene, it does no good and just creates another hazardous waste issue.
    Don't sell it short, the bike was produced in low numbers and it does have some value even as a parts bike.
    Don't give up to quickly if the bike turns over, most problems with a /2 are very easily solved with a couple common tools, 320 sandpaper and some fresh gasoline.

Do let me know if it goes up for sale CHEAP.