• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rare red 1968 bmw r60us

Ya its a 68 r60us... The price way to high its a us model. that bike needs every thing done. Its going to cost you o most $10,000 to redo it. Bike looks like it worth only $1500.00 to $2000.00... Just my idea

Agreed!!

Bike is rare spend $10,000 to buy it another $10,000 to restore!!!:stick

But you are lucky bike is in Illinois I see you are right around the corner in Indiana
you can save lots of money on shipping costs!!!!:bottle

Last edited:
Lol.. That bike is about 40min from me. There is no way I would pay that much for a r60us. I have two already. But there not red. That bike need every thing done. Funny part it was on ebay before for $6400.00 I think....... I would have be :bottle to pay that much or :bangheadm...

Do all /2 cylinder fins come to a point in the front.

No, only the non-sport 600s. (That is to say, the R67, R67/2, R67/3, R60 and R60/2, but not the R68, R69 or R69S.) And, they actually come to a point both in front and in back. This is the only really reliable way to tell, for example, an R60 from an R50.

I have the '68 505

I have a red R 60US serial # 1815505, 12 units off. A friend of mine is collecting the serial numbers and locations of all the original none black bikes . that is a lot of cash for an R 60 in need of everything. Other than the rarity of the Granada Red its an R 60 US but they only brought in about 20 that year. A Red R 69US sold for about $19,000 a few months ago, Landstrom picked it up and had it at Hilton head this past November. Its a nice bike but needs a more attentive owner. 46211, I just got back from the PO.

No, only the non-sport 600s. (That is to say, the R67, R67/2, R67/3, R60 and R60/2, but not the R68, R69 or R69S.) And, they actually come to a point both in front and in back. This is the only really reliable way to tell, for example, an R60 from an R50.
The whole story can be found here:

http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm

600-fins.jpg
500-fins.jpg

But wait ... there's more:

http://bmwdean.com/1968photos.htm

Ya its a 68 r60us... The price way to high its a us model. that bike needs every thing done. Its going to cost you o most $10,000 to redo it. Bike looks like it worth only $1500.00 to $2000.00... Just my idea
Really? I'm just getting in to the /2 twins, and that isn't what I've been seeing lately. I had a heck of a time finding my only /2 twin, a lowly R50, for $6,500, although it is pretty nice.

It seems to me that even the rolling baskets I've been seeing lately bring $3,000 or more. Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong store? I watch Ebay and IBMWR pretty closely, and it's not unusual for a /2 to be offered at five figures. Scary!

Or is the US version just less desirable for some reason I don't know about? Personally, I was looking for an R50, because I've always liked the smaller displacement motors. I also have a couple R27's.

I'm not pretending to know these values other than mostly passive observation, and some here seem to have a few, so I'd just be interested in comments on value. I am currently pursuing an R69S that needs lots of help. A bit rough and has a frozen motor, but also has some nice features. I am thinking about what to offer. Any thoughts on this would be welcome!

The US models are significantly more rare than the Earles Fork models, and yet, they definitely get less money in the market. It seems that those interested in these bikes want them for their sidecar-ability or because the Earles Forks are unusual.

If the bike is one of those few that B&S imported painted Granada Red, and if the BMW archives will document that, then the bike is very rare. But without the documentation, it's just another R60US.

I looked at the auction and it seems that the seller didn't get any bids the first time or the second time he listed it for a fixed price. The current auction is up to $4250, but hasn't reached the reserve.

I'm struggling a bit with this /2 price thing.

I finally got a price on the R69S I'm looking at. I'm working through a second party, so details are slim at this point. He wants $7,000. The motor is either frozen or the top end is off, he's not sure which, and overall, the bike sounds a bit rough. I'll get pics soon and find out for sure about the top end.

One of the reasons for the owner's estimate of value is that the bike has a very nice full fairing, Wixom, he thinks, and bar end signals. He says the fairing is rare and valuable. I know a good R69S is well in to five figures, and maybe this is a good deal, but is a seized up, rough 69S really worth $7 grand, rare fairing or not?

Just curious.

for $7,000 I'd expect a running bike. But... my mindset comes from paying $4,000 for a running R69S 14 years ago. I guess the price has gone up a bit since then. ;)

Yeah, a non-running R69S for $7K is a bit much. I paid a little over $6K for my running R69S over 5 years ago. A basket case has to be down below $5K to be worth considering...

Thanks guys. I think this bike will be going up on EBay pretty soon, so I'll point it out when it does. I'm not biting at $7K. Maybe that fancy fairing will bring big bucks and I'll regret it, but that's just too rich for my blood! :dunno

Relisted for 3rd time

Actually after reading the link to Jim Deans http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm site the 1968 R60US in red is a rare bike and at curent price of $4250 ( reserve not meet) would be a good deal if all parts are there. - but what is the reserve??

I am not looking for a project - but this is interesting as to what price it may sell.

A /2 owner of 15 to 20 years may think this is a high price for a "barn find" that will need to be gone through - engines tear down , slinger cleaning, ect.

But these are now 40 to 50 year old machines not being made anymore and not a high production count.

Interesting to keep an eye on the market :bar

Back