• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Greetings from the southern coalfields of WV

Whosoever

Hello everyone..new guy here. I've been doing a lot of riding here later in my life. Just traded my FJR for an F800GS so I don't have to stop when the pavement runs out. Lots of opportunities to do that around here. Enjoy travel and moto camping and bike forums that offer civil and gentile exchange. It appears this is one and I am looking forward to meeting you all.....even if it is limited to an "armchair" exchange.

Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.

Pat
West Virginia.....southern that is.

Pat -

Welcome! I've never been off-road (that I meant too!) but the F800GS sounds like a good bike to do that on...not to mention West Virginia to do it in!

We're mostly gentile here...well, mostly!! :stick :D

Welcome Pat! Glad your now aboard the GS for your mountian state wandering.
I cut my teeth in that "neck of the woods", Mercer & McDowell Co's earily on. Miss the trees! Also remember, nearly all roads lead away to other sightseeing & adventure. Hope to see the GS & you at rallys near & far...dont miss Sediala!
John 04R1150R

Hi Pat,
Never met a road in WV that I didn't like! You've got a great bike too! Be sure to check out the GS Giants info. Link below and lots more to come! Also, "like" our FB page to keep up to date.

Hello everyone..new guy here. I've been doing a lot of riding here later in my life. Just traded my FJR for an F800GS so I don't have to stop when the pavement runs out. Lots of opportunities to do that around here. Enjoy travel and moto camping and bike forums that offer civil and gentile exchange. It appears this is one and I am looking forward to meeting you all.....even if it is limited to an "armchair" exchange.

Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.

Pat
West Virginia.....southern that is.

Welcome to the forum Pat. Chances are you are familiar with TRAILS HEAVEN . When I see episodes of Fisher's ATV and Dirt Traxx TV visiting there, they are always having fun. It must be nice to live in a place where when you go by on an ATV or dirt bike they :wave . Enjoy, Gary

Welcome aboard! I head to southern West Virginia every chance I get - from War to Welch to Williamson, I love those roads!

Welcome Pat! Glad your now aboard the GS for your mountian state wandering.
I cut my teeth in that "neck of the woods", Mercer & McDowell Co's earily on.
John 04R1150R

Thanks for the welcome John, McDowell county is just to my south. They are really going thru a tough time that way. It is one of the poorist counties in the US.

Welcome to the forum Pat. Chances are you are familiar with TRAILS HEAVEN .

Thanks for the welcome Gary, I live in Man, WV and the original trail (Rock House) starts just down the street from where I live. During summer days we have a lot of folks who come here from far away just to drive by my house! Neat... well some of the time....it gets a bit noisy....buy hey....it's revenue coming into my little town of 800 folks. Now, with the addition of the GS to my stable I can go off and play with them in the mountains.:D

Welcome aboard! I head to southern West Virginia every chance I get - from War to Welch to Williamson, I love those roads!

Thanks for the welcome Ted, all those places are within an hour from me. My favorite of the three is Williamson as we have a new four lane (Corridor G..Hwy 119) that runs thru the mountains to Williamson and beyond. It is a great way to clear your mind and still be back for supper on time.

Last time in Williamson I stayed at the Mountaineer Hotel, quite a neat place with a lot of great history. The manager took me across the street to the parking garage to show me the town's DeLorean, then over to the Coal House next door.

I had been watching the History of the Coal Wars on PBS and decided to go see all the places they talked about - I will say West Virginia is really unique in that much of its history is still there now as it was, not yet plowed under by big box stores and subdevelopments. Riding through the State I always have a great sense of all the history there.

welcome

I have not been to west virginia yet, but I hear you have some great roads and nice people. Just the type of place I want to take my new 2004 gt to this summer. I am going to stay on the paved roads. Your GS goes anywhere, nice choice. I guess you can ride year round there. Enjoy

HI Pat !

Welcome to the Forum. You live in a beautiful place; I've been through there many times and loved it. Nice place to have a off road bike. Enjoy.
DW

Rip and RSBeemer

Thanks for your warm welcome. Yes, WV is a great place to live and bike. She is like a beautiful woman. In the spring, summer and fall when she wearing her "paint and powder" she offers all sorts of opportunities to see and experience some this countries finest biking roads. However, when the leaves are off the trees in the dead of winter....she can be one ugly woman! Yet, I love her.....she's home! :heart

I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of WV than my beeline thru on the way back from Johnson City in 2009. This year Barley and I will be taking a detour on the way to the Sedalia Rally. Paw Paw to Seneca Rocks to Helvetia to Beckley to War...then out across southern Kentucky enroute to Arkansas, then up thru the Oachita and Ozarks to the rally site. Coming back we'll catch northern KY and WV before angling up to those rural PA routes and the Adirondacks.

But West Virginia is the part I'm most looking forward to!

Thanks for the welcome

I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of WV than my beeline thru on the way back from Johnson City in 2009. This year Barley and I will be taking a detour on the way to the Sedalia Rally. Paw Paw to Seneca Rocks to Helvetia to Beckley to War...then out across southern Kentucky enroute to Arkansas, then up thru the Oachita and Ozarks to the rally site. Coming back we'll catch northern KY and WV before angling up to those rural PA routes and the Adirondacks.

But West Virginia is the part I'm most looking forward to!

That is a pretty ambitious ride that you have planned thru my state. You will be passing close to my home in Southern WV as we are 55 miles SW of Beckley. Good luck with your trip and watch out for the deer......especially for the run north of Seneca Rocks to Beckley on to War. The roads in the southern part of the state are very narrow..with lots of small towns dotting the roadways. If you are traveling in a group be especially careful. My experience is that people " backing out, pulling out or pulling onto the roadway"...will let one bike pass...but completely fail to see a 2nd or 3rd. Had a biker killed like that not too far from here. Once you hit the super slab your ok.......by DAY. Night time is not recommend as the deer don't seem to fear heavy traffic at night and you often see them standing very near the roadway or coming up out of the median. I've missed some and I've hit some..........fortunately....not on the bike. But, I've had some really close calls. Being from Vermont your used to deer country...but I see them "all day long". WV has the highest incident of deer/vehicle accidents in the nation.

Back