• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil pressure

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
so maybe I am looking in the wrong place ( books and searches)
for a 85 R80....what should the oil pressure be at idle and at approx 3k

and at what pressure is the oil light kicking on

one thread I have read said they run about 60psi, another said over 100

Ive got a vdo 80 psi gauge and a sender for it thqat I use to check my bmw cars at the block, so thought I would screw it into the sending unit location on the bike and see what IM running. However,it looks like a real tight fit for the bigger sending unit Who knows maybe someday Ill replace the clock aith an oil pressure gauge

my bike is in witer hibernation now, and I will be doing minor things and tune before spring. I never have checked the oil pressure on this bike, so I thought I would

I know that ther a lots of variables, beaings, oil pump, miles etc

Oil pressure

I have an 83 R100RS with a VDO oil pressure gauge. On cold start it will exceed 130 psi. This is with 20/50 and I have just started using 10/40 for the winter with the slightly lower readings.
After warm up it can read 90 at freeway speeds and drop to 30 at idle. I have not had this set up hot summer weather yet but with the same set up on my old R75/5 years ago it was about the same.
I have had to replace the sending unit a few times in the past and the one I have in there now is about 6 months old so I believe it is accurate. I suppose the gauge itself may be off some but I cannot tell.

RS Oil pressure

Jim.......I run a sender with the idiot light post also....I show 65-70 psi @ 180F (taken at bottom of sump).

Personal recc: the VDO dual post sender triggers the idiot light @ 17 psi instead of the OEM 4 psi!!!!!!

Jim.......I run a sender with the idiot light post also....I show 65-70 psi @ 180F (taken at bottom of sump).

Personal recc: the VDO dual post sender triggers the idiot light @ 17 psi instead of the OEM 4 psi!!!!!!

Can you elaborate on the DualPost sender? I had not heard of that before.

also do these sender units fit between the engine and the frame. looks tight.

also , with the link I posted , the bikes are not supposed to hit above 80psi, but from posts here, looks like it can
do any of the big boy gurus really know and want to share

yep, id rather have a light kick on at 17psi, 4psi is nothing, esp if the bike is supposed to be much higher

You need a angel adaptor to fit the sender in. A dual post is a sender that has 1 output for the guage and one for the light then you can have both.

Back