• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New member / new bike

That's the look i'm goin for. I kinda even like the old stock paint. No way would I part it out. Me and her already have a relationship. It will run soon. Spring is just around the corner. Motor and wheels go on tonight to check frame.

Whats the best ignition system for these bikes? I like points myself, are they reliable if set right?

I recently installed a Boyer Microdigital ignition system in mine- I'm very impressed with the way the engine runs now vs. with the points set-up (even with the Dyna ignition booster I had installed with the points). I had a Dyna III years ago that was good also, but I prefer the Boyer. I like the simplicity of the design, which eliminates the mechanical advance.

Nothin came with the bike. No advance, points, condenser. Sounds like I would be better off to spend the money on the Boyer stuff. Who's got a right head and valve cover?

Who's got a right head and valve cover?

As mentioned, there are a number of salvage places that you can try. Check here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47142

for links to things like that. One salvage place run by a good guy, Mikey, is Airhead Salvage:

http://www.airheadsalvage.com

The tech forum is not the place to buy/sell/trade items. Please look into the usual Internet places and salvage yards. Deals handled by PM are great...just keep the direct stuff off the tech forum. Thanks!

Sounds like I would be better off to spend the money on the Boyer stuff.

That way, when it stops running some night you'll have no clue what happened to it, or where to start looking... just my $.02USD.

My /5 is thirty-eight years old and still running on points & condenser (with spares under the seat).
icon_wink.gif

Good point on the points. Sorry bout the search for parts but can't find anything local. Thanks for the leads.... thats all I was lookin for. I'm a new guy here. :doh

Found these for sale

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=34435

I personally might have a lead on a pair for cheap. One problem, one of them is damaged and I don't know which one. It's a 50/50 shot.

Edit: Found the guy, and got a (bad) picture. Said the right head (sorry) ate a valve and damaged a (both?) valve seats. The valve guide may or may not be okay. I think I can get the damaged head for $20. Would you be interested? If so I'll follow up.

Found these for sale

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=34435

I personally might have a lead on a pair for cheap. One problem, one of them is damaged and I don't know which one. It's a 50/50 shot.

Edit: Found the guy, and got a (bad) picture. Said the right head (sorry) ate a valve and damaged a (both?) valve seats. The valve guide may or may not be okay. I think I can get the damaged head for $20. Would you be interested? If so I'll follow up.

Ill pay for a good one. Thank for checkin. You guys are way awesome.

Frame #s

2999584 is the number on this bike .... not too far off. How many LWB 75/5's are there?

Some more Pics

Frame is straight and painted. I cleaned up and rebuilt the carbs. I got the head replaced. Found a bent U-joint that is on the way. Hope to start putting it back together. Cant decide how to finish the cases. I kinda like the old clean look. Bead blasting is so hard to keep clean. Im gonna try the diesel Tide mix I found in an another thread.

Attachments

• IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 104
More pics

Walnut shells in a vibrarory bowl polished up the carbs pretty nice.

Attachments

• IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 104
Nice work and great project. I'm just getting back into airheads after a 20 year absence. I can really appreciate taking something bent and making it right again. Keep the pics coming!

Plasma

Santa loves Spaten Optimtors. I bought a Ramsond 75 amp plasma and love it. I
The torch is kinda cheap but works pretty good. About $800.

Back