• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New member / new bike

P

protomike64

Traded a old honda for 73 75/5 toaster. It needs some work but not real bad. I need to replace the right head and wondered which years/ models interchange. The bike looks pretty cool but dont know much about them. All the body work head light stuff is there and in great shape. I think it hit a curb then got parked. is it worth fixn?

Attachments

• IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 357
Is it worth fixing? YESSSSS :D

It is one of my favorite models, I love the tank. I don't have one, and never have, but if things worked out I could see myself with one. Welcome to the Forum and post photos as you work on it.

Wayne

Total write off... I'll take it off your hands, no charge :ha

Not sure what heads you can use, I do know the rockers changed in '74 (http://www.largiader.com/tech/rockers/). How about a picture of the damaged head?

The best thing you can do is to join the Airheads (airheads.org) in your area. Most hold Tech Days where you'll be shown how to fix your bike. Many experts who can figure out your problems. I was at a Tech day here in Florida yesterday. I took a dissembled gearbox to get opinions on what was needed to fix it.

Edit: Looked at Max BWM website and the part # for your head is 11121337870. This same part number is used for the all R75's (/5, /6, /7). Other here will be able to say if you could use a head from a different bike.

Last edited:
Welcome--- and nice bike. Good luck with the project.

Unless your new bike is seriously effed up on the inside, I'd say you definitely got the better end of that deal. Very nice work! 1973 R75/5 LWB (Long Wheelbase, which yours looks like it could be) Toasters are among the most desirable BMW bikes of the 70's, and yours looks to be in very nice condition!

Welcome aboard Mike. What a sweetie!!! Too bad it's a total write off. I'd leave it out on the curb for the scrap guys ... where'd you say you live?

I've been riding a '73 R75/5 since 1974. Take a bunch of detail shots of it for us.

Did you mean "head" or "valve cover"?

Attachments

• Valve cover.jpg
    Valve cover.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 324
More pics

So the frame was bent but its not any more. They are not the toughest frames as it pushed bact into shape pretty easy. The guy i got it from thought it needed a whole motor. It made crunching noises when you pushed it. In neutral. It bent the frame and the drive shaft hit the inside of the swingarm. I think it would run but it would leak oil out of the damaged head. It didnt hurt anything inside except the head and cover. Looks brand new inside.(35,000 miles on speedo) From what you guys are sayin I think I found a treasure. Never had a BMW before it sure is easy to work on.

Attachments

• IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 271
Great looking Bike!!

Head looks dinged but may be able to do a temp fix to see how she runs!!:lurk

Will need a new head

But more important update your profile to show which part of the country you are in because if you are close to ANY of the BMW GEEKS We all will be sure to help you out!!!:drink

Check out the Flea Market

Dale Linhert had a set of heads for sale for that very motorcycle. Don't know if he still has them but I've been real happy with all my dealings with him. He might be able to help you out with any lingering frame issues to.

Did you mean "head" or "valve cover"?

Never mind.. .. .. wow. I'm trying to visualize this bike sliding along the pavement and then hitting a curb.
31.gif

Bent frame, tweaked swing arm, crunching noises ... .. and who knows what else. Looks can be deceiving, and one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'd send the frame out to be checked for alignment/structure if you decide to keep it.

Im pretty good at fab work. I got the frame perfect. It does need right head, Needle main jet and the nozzle that it screws into. Points and condenser are missing and right side cover is gone and no key. Thats it. The motor is tight and clean. Any help finding these parts would be awesome. Im a pretty good TIG welder and machinest if you guys need anything like that. Check out the frame jig. That and a porta power made it easy to straighten. Whats the best ignition system for these bikes? I like points myself, are they reliable if set right?

Attachments

• IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 226
You might want to check around to Ebay, Ibmwr.org, and other dismantlers to locate a good used frame. It might be worth the money to replace it with a used one. Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in here. On the other hand, maybe the frame wasn't out that much and you are sure it's now all straightened out. Anyway, best of luck on the restoration.

Check out the frame jig.

I am.... never mind.. .. you've got that one nailed.

edit
- So what am I reading on your frame gusset ... 29995xx? My /5's VIN is 2999159

Last edited:
so how old is that picture in the first thread, what does the other side look like, not just the head

for sliding down the road, bending aq frame, bending the swing arm, engine making noise

that picture is not what I would imagine to see

regardless, that picture is a beauty of a bike

The Dyna III is a common replacement for the points. However, it it works (the points), why fit it.

I hope you still have the points plate and advance unit, they're pricey, $175 & $277 at Hucky's. The ponts by themselves are under $20.

12111353640.jpg

12111356286.jpg

Picture is from 3 days ago. I work pretty fast. I have a small machine shop in my garage. Used to work on bikes in Minnesota racing motocross for many years. Some good friends of mine have a Ducati shop back there. Used to hang out there all the time. The cafe thing has gotton me back into street bikes. This thing is perfect. I'm real excited to get her going. I traded for a bike I had $300 into. I have some room to spend some money. Sound like it's its worth more than $300 bucks.

I'll give you $400 right now. Big profit :bottle

Look around and you'll see the value of this bike. If you parted it out (please don't!) I'd guess it's worth around $2000. That "toaster" tank in good nick (good paint, no rust, no dents) is worth $500.

While you're fixing the head, think about replacing the rings and a valve job (if needed) since you'll be into the top end. From the limited pictures this looks like a keeper. A few hundred bucks and it's back on the road.

You touched on the subject of cafe bikes. It's easy to do a mild cafe on this bike, a gunfighter seat, low bars will really change the look and easy to reverse the process to return it back to stock.

r75franzencafe.jpg

Picture is from 3 days ago. I work pretty fast. I have a small machine shop in my garage. Used to work on bikes in Minnesota racing motocross for many years. Some good friends of mine have a Ducati shop back there. Used to hang out there all the time. The cafe thing has gotton me back into street bikes. This thing is perfect. I'm real excited to get her going. I traded for a bike I had $300 into. I have some room to spend some money. Sound like it's its worth more than $300 bucks.

Back