• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for Tennessee sights?

We've given him more things than he can do in a year.

Choices are a good thing! Thanks . The tree house has fersur caught my attention. Also saw a show on the HISTORY CHANNEL that talked about a town on the Georgia/Tennessee border called Copperhill. They have a bar that is right on the line. Half the bar is in a 'dry county' in Georgia and the other half is in a 'wet' county in Tennessee.

Jack Daniels is high on the list too.

We have already decided to take three days in Tennessee instead of two!:laugh

There is pretty much no reason to visit much of anything west of Nashville. If you go to Memphis take a gun....maybe even two.

There is pretty much no reason to visit much of anything west of Nashville. If you go to Memphis take a gun....maybe even two.

That is word to the wise. That town was dangerous as hell 27 years ago when I went to college. Nashville and Memphis are night and day.

I thought it was west of Knoxville. There's just something about mountains.

We've given him more things than he can do in a year.

Yes, that is so true and if he ends up in, or near Gatlinburg it will take a year to get out of that traffic. Talk about " g r i d l o c k "! Not fun on a bike...it will wear your clutch hand and glove out!

... if you go to Memphis take a gun....maybe even two.

I'm familiar with Memphis. We will be going through Memphis on Saturday morning and have no plans of stopping anywhere in the lovely town! Actually we will be going 'around' Memphis.:bolt

Yes you will be going around......no choice.

I40 goes from Wilmington NC to Barstow CA, but it starts & stops in Memphis.....to go around an old city park.

You have no choice but to take the 240 outerbelt around the top or bottom.

Fantastic design for an equally fantastic city.

Picture this.......

Heading west on I240 you are given a choice of going north or south on I240.....if you go straight it is Sam Cooper Blvd.....(an old spur of what was supposed to be I40 that dead ends at the park) Logic would tell you that heading west and wanting to go north around a city you would be in the right lane to go North and head around the top of the city. Same for going South.....if you are heading west you would go to the left.......

Yeah, but not in Memphis. The ramps cross in mid-air......heading West you exit right to go South and left to go North!!!! WTF.

Did I mention six lanes go down to three?

I spent a lot of the 10 years I lived in Memphis sitting at that interchange, quietly saying bad words to myself.

....The ramps cross in mid-air......heading West you exit right to go South and left to go North!!!! WTF.

Did I mention six lanes go down to three?

I spent a lot of the 10 years I lived in Memphis sitting at that interchange, quietly saying bad words to myself.

Sounds like St. Louis, I should get along just fine then!:laugh

I went thru Memphis this past October on a bike trip to Arkansas. Took I-55 TO I-40 on the way out. On the way back, I-40 to 240 to US 78. I thought I-55 was worse. dodging huge potholes while trying to stay in my lane and not get squashed by the endless armada of semis was rather nervewracking.

It was late Saturday afternoon on the return trip and the stretch of 78 from I-240 south out of Memphis looked like it might be an exciting ride thru there on Saturday night.

No GPS for me...I am kickin it 'old school'! Thanks for the suggestions though!.

Here's a link to an article that has some traditional maps. Print em out and put them in your tankbag.

I guess I need to specify..I'm not really looking for roads to ride, I'm looking for things to see at the end of the road.

You mean you stop and look at stuff? what is up with *that?* :ha

I think you'd like the road through Roan Mountain State Park.

I do know where you can get a little moonshine... :evil

Ian

Choices are a good thing! Thanks . The tree house has fersur caught my attention. Also saw a show on the HISTORY CHANNEL that talked about a town on the Georgia/Tennessee border called Copperhill. They have a bar that is right on the line. Half the bar is in a 'dry county' in Georgia and the other half is in a 'wet' county in Tennessee.

Go north out of Copperhill, the road becomes TN68, and that will take you to the west end of the Cherohala.

Lots of excellent views on that road. :nod

(you might approach the Copperhill area from the west on US64. If so, keep an eye out for the Olympics watersports center on the Ocoee river. It was build for the 1996 Olympic Games and is still a cool place to visit.)

Go north out of Copperhill, the road becomes TN68, and that will take you to the west end of the Cherohala.

Lots of excellent views on that road. :nod

(you might approach the Copperhill area from the west on US64. If so, keep an eye out for the Olympics watersports center on the Ocoee river. It was build for the 1996 Olympic Games and is still a cool place to visit.)

Perfect! as we are staying at a lodge at the east end of the Cherohala Parkway!

Back