• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions for Tennessee sights?

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
We have a trip planned next June to go from Springfield Missouri, across northern Arkansas, across southern Tennessee, Up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Virginia, then back across Northern Tennessee and acrossed southern Missouri....

Is there anything/anyplace along those routes in Tennessee that I would be mad about if I missed it? I have two days allowed for the trip across Southern TN and two days for the trip back across Northern TN...with 9 days total.

The NW quadrant of AR is where the riding and mtns are located. Some parts are heavy on rice paddies and real flat. Plan your ride to linger there then to take in E.TN where their best riding is found too. Say what you like for a stop to get more info...

I live in SW Missouri, and ride the Ozark Mtns in Arkansas frequently. This trip is a trip 'just to see stuff'...so if its the worlds smallest ball of twine or a church formed out of wheel bearing grease, or just a beautiful waterfall, I'm just looking for suggestions.

The gravesite of Sergeant Alvin C. York, heroic figure from WW I, is located near his family home of Pall Mall, TN. Just off US 127 a few miles north of Jamestown, TN and just south of the KY border.

Oh, and there's lots of great looking roads in the area too.

The gravesite of Sergeant Alvin C. York, heroic figure from WW I, is located near his family home of Pall Mall, TN. Just off US 127 a few miles north of Jamestown, TN and just south of the KY border.

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for...:clap

The Trace;

Natchez Trace Parkway(free) begins in Nashville and goes 444miles SW to Natchez,Ms.. I just did it and a wow nice ride:). You could come back up through Arkansas Ozarks and onward. Randy

Do you use a GPS?

Here are a couple of routes I laid out relative to our 2009 Rally in Johnson City, TN

Here are a couple of rides you can take surrounding the Smokey Mountain Park. These were intended as round trips from the Rally, but the roads on these routes might be useful to you.

These will start getting you looking at roads. If you don't use GPS, let me know and I can make some browser-based maps for your pretty quick.

Let me know if you have questions.... there are a million roads in this area that you will be mad if you missed.... :thumb

ian

No GPS for me...I am kickin it 'old school'! Thanks for the suggestions though!.

I guess I need to specify..I'm not really looking for roads to ride, I'm looking for things to see at the end of the road.

Unique restaurants, strange or beautiful views, out of the way, only the locals know about it things or places, that kind of thing. Like in my little town there is a pauper and slave cemetery. National Historic registry kind of place. Only a few people know where it is...you get the idea.

I have 2 days to cover the 500 miles across the southern part of the state...so I have a little bit of time to kill each day, but not much.

Northwest corner of Tennessee in Union City, Tn. The Dixie Gun Works/The Old Car Museum. 1412 W. Reelfoot Av. I enjoyed it. A little out of the way Civil War site. The marker for the Battle of Island Number 10. Island is long gone but the marker is there to commerate it. North of Tiptonville on Highway 22. When you come to the T in the road, your at the marker. If you take a left at the T and follow it around you will come into a part of Kentucky cut off from the main part of that state by The Mississippi River and surrounded by Tn. and Missouri. Kinda neat.

Dont know if you would be interested but the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tn. is an interesting place. It's about 1 1/2 hours South of Nashville halfway between 65 and 24.

The tour is pretty good and there are some good restaurants and B&Bs in the area as well. Also, some of the roads around there are awesome.

www.jackdaniels.com

Dont know if you would be interested but the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tn. is an interesting place. It's about 1 1/2 hours South of Nashville halfway between 65 and 24.

The tour is pretty good and there are some good restaurants and B&Bs in the area as well. Also, some of the roads around there are awesome.

www.jackdaniels.com

Yep. The RA had a rally in Shelbyville several years ago that included a tour of Jack Daniels. Very interesting and informative. The RA made us take a bus as they were giving out samples.

Another one you may like is what is called the Ministers Tree House. Its this huge massive tree house maybe 4-5 stories tall and it's located outside of Crossville Tn.
It's not actually built in a tree but rather around and on some trees.

It's been about 3-4 years since I was there and I dont't remember the exact directions other than to just keep riding on the road after it ended. The road turned into
a glorified dirt/gravel path and was no fun on my Harley but it got us there. Later we found out that the "local" who gave us directions had brought us in the back way,
but it all worked out fine.

You can actually go up into the tree house (at your own risk) and there was no charge for admission.

There is no formal website for it but if you Google it you will find directions.

It's a pretty off the wall type of place.

This treehouse does look like it's worthy of a look see...........

tumblr_ksrpm7I5po1qzqvm2o1_400.jpg

Big Spring MO
Taum Sauk Fire Tower MO
Elephant Rocks MO
New Madrid Fault MO
Grass Roots BMW Cape Giradeau MO
Johnsons Shut Ins MO
Deli Mexicana Los Tortugas Memphis
Stax Museum Memphis
Gibson Factory Memphis
Graceland Memphis
Graceland II Holy Springs MS
Shiloh Battlefield TN

Since you said the trip would be in June, a visit to Roan Mtn in Northeast Tn would be worthwhile if you are interested in nature. The Rhododendron that grows profusely there is in bloom during June and into July. It is a spectacular sight to see, and is quite famous. People flock from all over ever year to see it.

Back