• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Install 2005 Dual Horns to late '06-'09 RT

lkchris

Later in 2006 production BMW changed to a single disc type horn from the previous trumpet-style dual horns initially installed on RTs beginning in 2005. Lots of later RT owners prefer to change over to the earlier, louder setup, and it's easy, as BMW continued to provide the wiring for the second horn.

Only parts required are the two horns, available at your BMW motorcycle dealer OR at a BMW car dealer, as same parts are used on E39 5-series. The car application expands opportunites for junk yard find I imagine--E39 is 1998-2002 production IIRC.

Horns:
61 33 8 381 271 (low)
61 33 7 655 882 (high)

1. Find the unused wiring taped and cable-tied to a fairing mount tube by removing left mirror and looking down through hole uncovered by removing mirror as in this photo pirated from BMW Sport Touring (the silver thing on right doesn't exist on your bike, as it's something extraneous added by previous photographer).

Seeing this wiring and detaching it are two different things and you should probably remove the upper painted side panel on the left (clutch) side for access. The connecter is covered by a cap, which you remove and discard.

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
2.While you can see the existing horn looking through the forks from below, you'll really need to remove it from the side, as you're going to remove and discard the silver right-angle bracket currently mounting it. Big long extension on socket wrench is how I did it. Even more reason to remove the painted side panel.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 239
3. Mount the HIGH TONE horn to the same place you removed the existing horn and bracket using same screw. HIGH is molded into the plastic of the new horn and in any event if you mount the low-tone horn here the wiring won't reach. Obviously attach the wiring you've just removed from the former horn.

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 237
4. The bracket exists already on the bike to mount the LOW TONE horn and you can see it in the photo. Remove the cage nut and screw affixing the old horn to the silver bracket and use them here. It's important that the strap on the horn mount to the outside of this bracket, as that's where the anti-rotation tabs are. Connect the previously unused wiring to this horn.

This location is straight down from front of left turn signal lens, and that's your fuel tank to right and mounting structure for oil cooler on left. Yes, again, it's way easier to do this with painted side panel removed.

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 235
I did this to my 09 RT a few months ago using horns I bought on ebay from an 04 RT. One of the brackets on the 1150 horns is different but it worked fine.

Good upgrade.

Did something similar on mine . I installed 2 Fiamm freeway blasters, high and low tone. One on the left as shown and another on the right side. Using a Bosch type relay, I took the signal from the spare harness and wired the horns directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. These horns draw about 5 amps each. This way I was able to retain the stock horn, which you really canÔÇÖt hear anyway when the FiammÔÇÖs go off.

Ed

Thanks for the clear explanations.

I'm waiting for my horns to arrive and will do this mod.

This should be added to the tech subforum

I'm so fortunate to have an '06 with the LOUD horn. One of the (many) reasons I fell in love with it.

I agree, this should be pinned & added to the Tech Library. Thanks!

Great guide. I'd just added the low horn so far as it was an easy swap and it makes a world of difference. I will have to see if the extra wiring harness is on my '13 RT for the high tone. Anyone else confirmed this?

Wiring for second horn isn't present on facelift models ('10-'13) so you have to make your own.

In addition the existing horn mount is changed on the newer models. On the earlier models a 90-degree adapter oriented the pancake horn correctly--on the newer models you need that adapter to orient the the trumpet version.

I installed mine today.

What a difference.

I might have to realign them though.
After looking at your pictures again, I realized that mine are angled forward instead of down like yours, I'm afraid that they will scoop all kinds of dirt etc.

2006 R1200 RT dual horn conversion

I realize these are old posts and memories fade so an answer may be a longshot. I have a clean, original 2006 RT with the single horn and would like to convert to the dual horn setup as posted by lkchris above (and thank you for the post). I have removed the left mirror, upper panel over the fuel tank and left nacelle cover above the turn signal. I have located the fairing brace shown in the post photo, however the only wiring zip tied to the brace is the left turn signal wiring. I have located the existing single horn wiring where it exits the wiring harness and attaches to the existing single horn but have not had any success locating the factory wiring for the second horn. Has anyone located the factory dual horn wiring in another location? Thank you.

Last edited:
In 2010, I replaced the stock horn with two Fiamms on my '07 R. As others have said, it's a significant improvement.

If you can't locate the second horn wiring, make a splitter: the bike's one feed into two branches, one for each new horn. I did that, as the R had only wiring for one horn.

My bike is without physical fuses (save for the starter and my added electric vest controller), and I was concerned that the extra load from a second horn would trip the over-current limiter in the bike's body computer. My fear was unfounded; the bike is perfectly comfortable providing the current for a second horn, and no additional horn relay was required.

I realize these are old posts and memories fade so an answer may be a longshot. I have a clean, original 2006 RT with the single horn and would like to convert to the dual horn setup as posted by lkchris above (and thank you for the post). I have removed the left mirror, upper panel over the fuel tank and left nacelle cover above the turn signal. I have located the fairing brace shown in the post photo, however the only wiring zip tied to the brace is the left turn signal wiring. I have located the existing single horn wiring where it exits the wiring harness and attaches to the existing single horn but have not had any success locating the factory wiring for the second horn. Has anyone located the factory dual horn wiring in another location? Thank you.

If you have an 06 RT believe me the wiring is there...you just haven’t found it yet.

It will be a stub off the harness and carefully taped to the harness with the same factory tape used to wrap, insulate and protect the harness. It can be hard to locate in the dark recesses of the bike, especially with it camouflaged with a good coating of tape so look for a large lump. You’ll have to unwrap the tape once you locate the connector.

It will have a connector and a weather cap on it to protect the contacts inside.

I recently restored a 2006 R1200RT and had problems locating it myself... because I was putting in an instrument panel shelf above the gauges and doing additional work I removed the windshield and the top cover for the instrument panel. The connector on the wiring harness for the second horn was then much easier to find.

On both of the 2009 RTs I had the second horn connector was in the same general area of the bike as the 2006, but not in the exact same place.

The best general guidance I can give you is while you’re sitting on the bike it is behind the instrument panel on the left-hand side between the back of the instrument panel and the headlight assembly.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2006 R1200 RT dual horn conversion

Rangemaster: Thanks for the response. After reading your post I decided to pull the windshield and headlight/front assy. It was a good decision as I found the factory harness for the second horn readily and would never have located it without removal of those components. The horn harness was up behind the left front speaker housing and zip tied to the top of the left turn signal wiring.

The horns are installed and functional. I decided to add Skene Photons while all disassembled, never going to be easier.

BTW: the post by dellenberger back in 2008 with the step by step removal of the body panels etc. was invaluable.

Very glad to hear you solved the problem!

Let me know if you need any further assistance...I’ve done quite a bit of electrical work on Hexhead RTs over the past few years including LED headlights, Skene installs, Hex ezCan, GPS, adding a DWA (alarm), ASC, etc.

BTW, you likely know a GS-911 can be invaluable at times...alternatively an OBDLink LX/MX, the right cable and the MotoScan app can be used to read error codes and do some service functions (and is considerably less expensive).

Bleeding/flushing ‘whizzy’ brakes can be fun as well...

PM me if I can be of assistance.

BTW Indy- even tho’ I live in NW Oregon I was born in Indianapolis and went to Purdue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back