Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Motorcycle Show, BMW No-Show

jrsmac1

Dallas Motorcycle Show, BMW No-Show

Just curious if anybody might know why BMW won't be at the Dallas Show this weekend. I've asked around a bit and can't seem to find anyone who actually knows.
    Thanks,
    John

They've only attended a few of the largest venues (NY, LA etc) for the past few years. It's economics.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

jrsmac1
    According to sales figures, Texas sells the 3rd most bikes behind California and Florida.
    I was hoping somebody from BMW would pipe in.
    I've sent a few emails and have yet to receive a response.
    Not really a big deal since there are 3 dealerships in close proximity, (for Texas), but I'm just curious.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As mentioned, regardless of sales numbers, BMW has only been making the big shows on the east/west coasts the past few years. Local dealers typically fill in the space.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I went to the San Mateo show. The BMW dealers all kind of brought a booth together, but there was no "corporate presence". Ducati, who usually has one of the best displays had none. One dealer of KTM & Ducati had a few bikes, but no real presence.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

I suppose it's marketing. They know what sells bikes, for them. They know what exposure they want and need.
    I know I would never buy a bike based on a motorcycle show. I only did once, and only in the sense that I knew I wanted to buy it, and was going to buy it, so I went to the show to see it, AFTER I had found out that I would get a free jacket with it if I bought it after attending the show.
    Now, if BMW would offer a free jacket (Rallye 3, size 106, in gray, not black) at the show, then, I'm there, and I'm buying a new bike.
    dc

jrsmac1
    Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    I suppose it's marketing. They know what sells bikes, for them. They know what exposure they want and need.
    I know I would never buy a bike based on a motorcycle show. I only did once, and only in the sense that I knew I wanted to buy it, and was going to buy it, so I went to the show to see it, AFTER I had found out that I would get a free jacket with it if I bought it after attending the show.
    Now, if BMW would offer a free jacket (Rallye 3, size 106, in gray, not black) at the show, then, I'm there, and I'm buying a new bike.
    dc
    Now you're talkin' !
    My Dad used to buy cars on the last day of the Chicago Auto Show back in the early 70's and he used to get some real deals.
    Aren't those Rallye 3 jackets like 800 bucks?
    That would be a good deal, although I'd rather a discount on a new bike.

Economics has been the consistent response to this question from any BMW Motorrad exec interview I have read. From Heinrich von Kuenheim, head of BMW's motorcycle segment on down the explanation has been the numbers (dollars/euros/whatever) are not there to show up everywhere anymore. For the US this year that means LA and NY. My guess that has more to do with their role as left and right coast motorcycle media markets than their individual show ability to generate sales in a given state.

What is the source of your data? Always searching for new sources of information.

jrsmac1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Economics has been the consistent response to this question from any BMW Motorrad exec interview I have read. From Heinrich von Kuenheim, head of BMW's motorcycle segment on down the explanation has been the numbers (dollars/euros/whatever) are not there to show up everywhere anymore. For the US this year that means LA and NY. My guess that has more to do with their role as left and right coast motorcycle media markets than their individual show ability to generate sales in a given state.

What is the source of your data? Always searching for new sources of information.
    Here is my source.
    http://knol.google.com/k/the-u-s-motorcycle-market#

birdmanbmw
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmac1 View Post
    I think this is one of the reasons I have grown to like BMW's (and Ducati's)- the limited number of them:

Motorcycle Market Share

Harley-Davidson 28%
    Honda 25%
    Yamaha 17%
    Suzuki 13%
    Kawasaki 11%
    KTM 2%
    BMW 1%
    Triumph 1%
    Ducati 1%

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    I think this is one of the reasons I have grown to like BMW's (and Ducati's)- the limited number of them:

Motorcycle Market Share

Harley-Davidson 28%
    Honda 25%
    Yamaha 17%
    Suzuki 13%
    Kawasaki 11%
    KTM 2%
    BMW 1%
    Triumph 1%
    Ducati 1%
    Right on I'm now officially part of the 1% (This has the making for an interesting t-shirt slogan)
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

I think some other folks already have a lock on the 1% thing.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post

Motorcycle Market Share

Harley-Davidson 28%
    Honda 25%
    Yamaha 17%
    Suzuki 13%
    Kawasaki 11%
    KTM 2%
    BMW 1%
    Triumph 1%
    Ducati 1%

Uh ohhh... That makes us 1%'ers ! Is an "occupy BMW" group going to picket us now
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Visit this site to get the official IMS show manufacturer's schedules.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/manuf...-manufacturers

BMW will be in Long Beach and New York again this year as they have been for the last several.

Hope this helps.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S