• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dallas Motorcycle Show, BMW No-Show

J

jrsmac1

Just curious if anybody might know why BMW won't be at the Dallas Show this weekend. I've asked around a bit and can't seem to find anyone who actually knows.
Thanks,
John

They've only attended a few of the largest venues (NY, LA etc) for the past few years. It's economics.

According to sales figures, Texas sells the 3rd most bikes behind California and Florida.
I was hoping somebody from BMW would pipe in.
I've sent a few emails and have yet to receive a response.
Not really a big deal since there are 3 dealerships in close proximity, (for Texas), but I'm just curious.

Attachments

• mv1.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 22
As mentioned, regardless of sales numbers, BMW has only been making the big shows on the east/west coasts the past few years. Local dealers typically fill in the space.

I went to the San Mateo show. The BMW dealers all kind of brought a booth together, but there was no "corporate presence". Ducati, who usually has one of the best displays had none. One dealer of KTM & Ducati had a few bikes, but no real presence.

I suppose it's marketing. They know what sells bikes, for them. They know what exposure they want and need.
I know I would never buy a bike based on a motorcycle show. I only did once, and only in the sense that I knew I wanted to buy it, and was going to buy it, so I went to the show to see it, AFTER I had found out that I would get a free jacket with it if I bought it after attending the show.
Now, if BMW would offer a free jacket (Rallye 3, size 106, in gray, not black) at the show, then, I'm there, and I'm buying a new bike.
dc

I suppose it's marketing. They know what sells bikes, for them. They know what exposure they want and need.
I know I would never buy a bike based on a motorcycle show. I only did once, and only in the sense that I knew I wanted to buy it, and was going to buy it, so I went to the show to see it, AFTER I had found out that I would get a free jacket with it if I bought it after attending the show.
Now, if BMW would offer a free jacket (Rallye 3, size 106, in gray, not black) at the show, then, I'm there, and I'm buying a new bike.
dc

Now you're talkin' !
My Dad used to buy cars on the last day of the Chicago Auto Show back in the early 70's and he used to get some real deals.
Aren't those Rallye 3 jackets like 800 bucks?
That would be a good deal, although I'd rather a discount on a new bike.

Economics has been the consistent response to this question from any BMW Motorrad exec interview I have read. From Heinrich von Kuenheim, head of BMW's motorcycle segment on down the explanation has been the numbers (dollars/euros/whatever) are not there to show up everywhere anymore. For the US this year that means LA and NY. My guess that has more to do with their role as left and right coast motorcycle media markets than their individual show ability to generate sales in a given state.

What is the source of your data? Always searching for new sources of information.

Economics has been the consistent response to this question from any BMW Motorrad exec interview I have read. From Heinrich von Kuenheim, head of BMW's motorcycle segment on down the explanation has been the numbers (dollars/euros/whatever) are not there to show up everywhere anymore. For the US this year that means LA and NY. My guess that has more to do with their role as left and right coast motorcycle media markets than their individual show ability to generate sales in a given state.

What is the source of your data? Always searching for new sources of information.

Here is my source.
http://knol.google.com/k/the-u-s-motorcycle-market#

I think this is one of the reasons I have grown to like BMW's (and Ducati's)- the limited number of them:

Motorcycle Market Share

Harley-Davidson 28%
Honda 25%
Yamaha 17%
Suzuki 13%
Kawasaki 11%
KTM 2%
BMW 1%
Triumph 1%
Ducati 1%

Right on I'm now officially part of the 1% (This has the making for an interesting t-shirt slogan)

I think some other folks already have a lock on the 1% thing.

1205488971_hells.jpg

I think this is one of the reasons I have grown to like BMW's (and Ducati's)- the limited number of them:

Motorcycle Market Share

Harley-Davidson 28%
Honda 25%
Yamaha 17%
Suzuki 13%
Kawasaki 11%
KTM 2%
BMW 1%
Triumph 1%
Ducati 1%

Uh ohhh... That makes us 1%'ers ! Is an "occupy BMW" group going to picket us now :brow

Title of this thread is all wrong. BMW was not a no show as they were never supposed to be there in the first place. A no show is George Jones.

Dallas M/C Show

I attended the show Friday night, it was OK after I found some free parking. Twisted Throttle and Schuberth were there, about the closest thing to a BMW representative.

New GS clone models there from Triumph (1200), Yamaha Super Tenere.

It sure is going to be a difficult decision in the future for a 1200 class Adventure type bike.
I think BMW will have a hard time landing new customers with all these new choices. Those of us with years of BMW experience will have a harder time leaving the marque, but the bar has definitely been raised by these other manufacturers.

The Triumph seemed very comfortable sitting on it, the correct reach in all directions for someone 5'-9". Massive single sided swing arm/driveshaft. I would wait at least a year to see if Triumph has this engineered right.

I thought the Yamaha Super Tenere is well engineered and looks like good quality. I have never been a fan of single side swing arms and like Yamaha's implementation of a conventional dual side swing arm plus shaft drive. It looks like a heavy bike though.

I attended the show Friday night, it was OK after I found some free parking. Twisted Throttle and Schuberth were there, about the closest thing to a BMW representative.

New GS clone models there from Triumph (1200), Yamaha Super Tenere.

It sure is going to be a difficult decision in the future for a 1200 class Adventure type bike.
I think BMW will have a hard time landing new customers with all these new choices. Those of us with years of BMW experience will have a harder time leaving the marque, but the bar has definitely been raised by these other manufacturers.

The Triumph seemed very comfortable sitting on it, the correct reach in all directions for someone 5'-9". Massive single sided swing arm/driveshaft. I would wait at least a year to see if Triumph has this engineered right.

I thought the Yamaha Super Tenere is well engineered and looks like good quality. I have never been a fan of single side swing arms and like Yamaha's implementation of a conventional dual side swing arm plus shaft drive. It looks like a heavy bike though.

That's why I wondered why they weren't promoting themselves.
Here is what I got from BMW in an email.
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the Dallas Motorcycle Show.

We appreciate your enthusiasm for BMW Motorrad. Although we wish we able to attend all motorcycle shows, we simply are unable to do so. We apologize for any dissatisfaction this may cause.

For any future updates, please visit our website www.BMWmotorcycles.com. Once again, we appreciate your enthusiasm.

Regards,

Rachael Schuster
BMW Motorrad USA

Unable?
I love my Beemers but c'mon.

BMW is not ready yet.
Oh oh, that's George Jones, too.
Oddly enough, it's up to BMW if they is at the show, or no. Not you guys.
dc

Back