• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bmw scooter

Don't know much at 'bout scooters but if I got one I think that something that I could tinker with a bit, like the Ruckus I suppose, would be more to my liking. The BMW version seems like another turn key 'off the rack' item for fair chunk of my wallet. Something for everybody I suppose. - Bob

Don't know much at 'bout scooters but if I got one I think that something that I could tinker with a bit, like the Ruckus I suppose, would be more to my liking. The BMW version seems like another turn key 'off the rack' item for fair chunk of my wallet. Something for everybody I suppose. - Bob

Apples and Oranges or maybe big apples and little apples. Last I looked at a Ruckus it had a 125cc or so motor. I think it comes as big as a 250. I might have one instead of my Kawasaki 250 Sherpa for the desert around here. But the BMW scooter is reputed to come as a 600 or 650. Not the same thing. More comparable to the Silverwing than the Ruckus.

I want to get my hands, or at least eyes on one in the dealers shop to see how it goes together and how easily it can be worked on. Then I can decide if it is a suitable vehicle for me.

I like them. We had a Burgman for awhile when my wife thought she might like to learn to ride, the thing was a blast but lacked power and comfort at highway speeds. I'll be one of the first in line for a test ride.

the thing was a blast but lacked power and comfort at highway speeds.

I think that "seated-in-a-chair" riding posture would flat tear me up over any kind of distance, which is what most of "us" relate to. And even at 600-650cc you won't find them doing any serious cross-country work. I think they (all of them, including the BMW) are intended for the short jaunt (30-50 miles) urban-transport/commuter-capable-of-5+mph role.

For whatever it's worth...

I've been doing a long summer ride (1500-2000mi) with friends riding an eclectic mix of vehicles. One of the guys rides a Silverwing; he's the heftiest of the group. But he's not only kept up but often led the pack on his bike. Just sayin...

Larry Johnson
El Paso Tx

The BMW Scooter is here at the Toronto Show. No price but they say it will be around $11000.00. In Canada thats the same as the big Bergman.

Last edited:
The BMW Scooter is here at the Toronto Show. No price but they say it will be around $11000.00. In Canada thars the same as the big Bergman.

The Scooters are on the Canadian BMW website now with an introductory date of "fall 2012" listed. I stumbled on a BMW document on the web the other day that puts the price of the GT at about $11,000 CAD. (I'll post the link if I can find it again) Based on the rest of the Canadian model lineup, reducing that price by about 15% should be an indication of US MSRP.

Somebody buys one, runs it (until I age some more), then I'll ask more questions. No way I'd pay that $ when there are lots of scoots(used mktplace) out there for way less.

I will hold off at least for the first model year so BMW can get over their denial period about what ever is a failure point on them. Then maybe , but at the price i am hearing bandied about I will be looking else where me thinks.

I've been doing a long summer ride (1500-2000mi) with friends riding an eclectic mix of vehicles ... Just sayin...

Well, I sure not kocking "little" Larry. A buddy of mine did a Rantoul, Illinois - Los Angeles round trip on an RD350 Yamaha. It's more the rider, than what's ridden.

"On a dedicated production line, up to 78 Maxi-Scooters will be produced daily, with two shifts operating per day,"

I dunno but running 2 shifts to make just 78 units a day? No wonder they'll cost $9K.

Just back from the long beach show. Deposit down on C600 sport hope wife likes the present. Looks like May June delivery
Hopefully in time for summer season Sierra passes calling

Best guess about 9k for sport C600 10 with the bells whistles, deposit gives her choice of first one in.
GT about 1500 more,
Know it's a bit much for a scooter that being said they are both high quality. Couldn't find out if these have same canbus systems their regular bikes, the two in long beach are preproduction models, very little known about their innards other than CVT trans, sealed chain in bath,ABS. Not sure if heated grips/seat standard dealer pretty sure majority of first bikes will be fully equipped

Got to sit on one this weekend at the LB Motorcycle show. Skirt friendly? I could barely figure out how to step into it. Perhaps with practice it'd be easier. It had heated seats, front and rear, heated grips, and electric windscreen. Considerable storage under the seat.
650 cc twin engine. But the MSRP was like $10,700. That would be before all the add-ons. And, it's a scooter. :cry

Just a question for scooter fans - how long do those tires last? We had a Honda 150 for several years but it never did a lot of miles, partly because it is kind of scary to ride on a hiway with a top speed of maybe 60 mph on the level. Clearly the big scooters don't have a problem keeping up with traffic. But I just wondered if you need new tires about as often as guys with competition rubber on their motorcycles.

Are there some handling minuses with the smaller diameter tires or is that simply my misconception?

Any advantages to a 650 scooter over a 650 bike, assuming you can still swing a leg over the bike and haven't forgotten how to shift?

Doug, my wife rides the heck out of her 125 Kymco, to the tune of 20,000 miles and counting, and we're still on the stock front tire. The rear was replaced at 15k for wear issues, the replacement hit something and got replaced about 2k later. She's not a big rider, but I'd say tire life is pretty comparable to a motorcycle. Maybe it's the bigger contact patch? With the smaller wheels, handling is crazy quick...you get used to wobbling and weaving at slow speeds. Anything above 25mph or so and that bike is stable. I don't know about any other models. I presume the maxi scooters are more stable and slower steering than the little guys.

Not bad looking for scooters. I will wait for the "GS" version that is sure to follow.:laugh

With BMW anything is possible. People questioned the need for the R80G/S when it was first introduced. Now it has achieved cult status.

If they make a C650GS they will come.

Back