• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensors

I've been catching up on this thread with interest, and I'm wondering if the AF-XIED would be likely to improve my bike's mpg or performance.

Bike:
2000 R1100RT
75k miles (bought one year ago with 57k)
Techlusion 1031 installed by PO
No O2 sensor or CCP. (I have the yellow plug; I'd have to pick up a sensor.)
Maintenance records proper and thorough
35-37 mpg in weeks that I'm mainly commuting
37-38 mpg for long superslab runs at 75-80 mph
Low 40s mpg on long, slow runs.

Aside from the abysmal mpg, the bike is very well behaved -- so well behaved that I wonder if I should even bother messing with it. Still, mpg in the 30s suggests to me that it could be running much better, and a reliable 45mpg would give me a much more comfortable cruising range.

Interestingly, the service records are replete with complaints of surging, and the immediate PO, a good friend of mine, said he experienced it occasionally. Yet in nearly 20k miles, I may have experienced a surge once, and that was the day after the first time I synced the throttles, so I'd suspect even that one was more likely the throttle cable settling in somewhere.

So, I think I have these questions:
1. Is my mpg explainable by the fueling modifications, or do I need to be exploring other issues as well?
2. If I replaced the current configuration with an AF-XIED, would I likely see an improvement in mpg?
3. Am I likely already experiencing the performance benefits of an enriched mixture? Or is it perhaps so enriched that I'm experiencing a performance degradation? I don't have any other oilhead experience to compare to.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

If you believe the folks at GAMI injectors, the top two reasons why engines exhibit rough running (surging) with lean mixtures (lean defined as leaner than BEST POWER mixtures) are unequal air and/or unequal AFR (Air Fuel Ratio). My answer is going to assume that your right and left cylinders have the same compression, decently adjusted valves and a decent left/right throttle body balance. The Techlusion literature says their stock settings aim to add about 8% to fueling. By adding all that fuel, you are greatly diminishing the sensitivity to AFR imbalance but you're paying for it in gas mileage.

Your current set up is running very rich from idle through about 40 miles per hour based on No Coding Plug and the Techlusion. We have a good report on the 1100RT from Happy Wanderer running an LC-1 (R1100RT No Coding Plug, No CO Pot), here's the chart without your Techlusion.

r1100noplugnocopot.jpg

With a Techlusion attached, depending your your settings, and I'm assuming you're running gas with 10% ethanol, you would be 8-10% richer than the above chart. If you're running pure gas, you would be 12-16% richer than above. That would put you're AFRs richer than BEST POWER mixture, in a range from idle through 40-50 MPH, much richer than needed. It therefore seems very likely that the excess fuel is the root cause of your poor mileage.

With an LC-2 which includes a Wideband O2 sensor, or an AF-XIED and stock narrowband sensor, you could control the fuel addition to a 4-8% addition with much better gas mileage Happy Wanderer's data below:

attachment.php

So the unknown is, will 4-8% (consistent AFRs of 14.1, or maybe as much as 13.6) the leanest that will give you the performance needed) more fuel keep your surging under control? It seems very likely to me that it will unless your injectors are very mismatched.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I stumbled on the time required to reset the Motronic when you pull Fuse 5 or remove the battery cable. I use to think it was 15-30 seconds but now realize it is several minutes. 10 minutes is a certain time I believe.

So that this little tidbit of knowledge isn't lost, I'm linking it here: Motronic Reset Time 10 Minutes

Units of Measure?

Hi Roger, not sure what the units of measure are in HW's chart - "Fuel Quantity/ Miles/ Mileage".
Would that be US gallons, or Canadian?

Hi Roger, not sure what the units of measure are in HW's chart - "Fuel Quantity/ Miles/ Mileage".
Would that be US gallons, or Canadian?

All measured in US Gallons and Miles. Most of the members here are US based so virtually all of the data presented here for mileage is based on US gallons and miles.

At the risk of getting flamed I still think Ronald Reagan made a huge mistake when he canceled the US metric program to save some dollars. There are now three countries on the planet that don't use the metric system for weights and measures. Liberia, Myanmar and the USA. :scratch

The tests and measurements showing how the Motronic learns about fueling and "adapts" it back to stock (Mixture Adaptation) runs for several pages. That explanation might be hard to follow, partly because it's a complex topic, and partly because I had to go through a number of setup steps to show the effect. Recently, I spotted Mixture Adaption in the "wild", meaning that it happened all on its own and in a way that it's visible in simpler data.

Single-Spark R1150GS
Last week while helping another rider with lambda sensor errors, I observed Mixture Adaptation happening in response to a defective O2 sensor. Eventually, the adaptation range was exceeded and the Motronic reported: 4400: Lambda-Control, Upper control limit reached. As most of you know, Mixture Adaptation is the Motronic or BMSK using the O2 sensor to learn and correct fueling errors so that the mixture is always where the catalytic converter is most efficient. In this case, the O2 sensor was about to fail, and the Motronic had trouble learning, but that made the Learning & Adaptation visible as a result.

The bike that we're going to look at below is a 2001 R1150GS. The owner had recently installed an AF-XIED and it seemed that it wasn't working because of the errors he was reading from his GS-911. He logged realtime data from the 911 and we got to the bottom of the problem after a few back and forths.

Below are plots from the GS-911 data, after we fixed the 1150 by replacing its O2 sensor, showing various sensors, beginning with a cold engine and warming up for several minutes. There are two charts within the chart. If you look at the bottom chart you can see the Engine Oil Temperature (I multiplied it by 10 so it would fit the same scale as other data) warming from a cold engine at 20C (200 on the chart) to 100C. Notice that at 60C engine temperature the Lambda Control signal goes to a "1" value meaning the Motronic is running its Closed Loop program.

Now, go to the top chart and follow the Injection Time line. At 20C it is greater than 3.2 mS and just before the fast idle lever is reduced (look at the TPS sensor line) the injection time is 2.2 mS (we'll look at this on the before chart later). Then lastly, notice that the injection time stays pretty steady at around 2 mS even after the bike goes into Closed Loop Operation. This is normal behavior for all the BMW motorcycle--there is a lot of fuel added to a cold engine that is slowly reduced as it is warmed up.

So in summary, normally when you cold-start, the injection times start out long for enrichment and then settle to a steady final value at idle, even during Closed Loop.

lazy02sensor3.jpg

Now we're going to see what happened before the O2 sensor was replaced and how the Motronic was using learning and adaptation. Chart below, here are some things to look at:

1) On the lower half of the chart, the lambda sensor voltage in closed loop never gets higher than about 700 mV. The AF-XIED needs to see richness greater than 800 mV and this was the problem that was resolved by replacing the sensor. However the bad sensor had other consequences and it exposed mixture adaptation in a way we can see it.

2) On the lower half of the chart notice that at 60C the Lambda Control signal goes high, meaning it is starting Closed Loop when the engine reaches that temperature. That's as it should be. Next though notice that it keeps dropping out of Closed Loop and popping back into Closed Loop. That is not usual behavior.

3) Look at the Lambda Sensor voltage line. It takes quite a while from the time Lambda Control goes high until the Lambda Sensor voltage starts its Closed Loop behavior of oscillating between 100 mV and 700 mV (and 800 mV is more normal). It needs the Base Injection Pulse to be increased by Mixture Adaptation as the Motronic tries to richen the mixture.

4) Go to the top chart below and look at the Injection time line (then compare it to the good chart above). You can see that the Injection Time decays as the bike warms up, until it reaches Closed Loop. Then a funny thing starts to happen in response to the Lambda Sensor Voltage staying low. The Motronic starts to increase the Base Injection Pulse and doesn't stop until it has increased the Injection Time from 2.05 mS to 2.3 mS. (I've added a dashed line to indicate the Adaptation interval.)

THIS IS MIXTURE ADAPTATION AT WORK. The Motronic saw that the Lambda Sensor Voltage was low, and it kept ratcheting up the Long Term Fuel Trim and adding to to the Injection time until it had enough fuel to get the Lambda Sensor Voltage into a high/low range. Which eventually it does and the Lambda Voltage oscillates as it should.

5) There is a dead time for all injectors that is the sum of the time it takes to turn them on and turn them off--they don't switch instantaneously. Therefore the actual range of times the fuel is being injected isn't 2.05 mS to 2.3 mS, it is 1.25 mS to 2.5 mS (dead time subtracted). Taking the ratio 2.5/2.05, you get 1.22, which means the Motronic added about 22% to fueling during this period. This is why the error-- 4400: Lambda-Control, Upper control limit reached--was found in the Motronic memory by the GS-911. The long term fuel trim appears to have a limit of 20-25%.

Summary
So there you have it. You've got to look closely but the Motronic Learns[u/] about fueling and Adapts. There's no doubt about it.

lazy02sensor2.jpg

Below is a pair of charts showing a 2001 R1150GS performance following a Cold Start using the GS-911. This data was taken after installing a new O2 sensor, with a Yellow Coding Plug jumper, and with its Idle Speed adjusted to 1100 +/-50 RPM. This is a good example of how an R1150GS (and basically any R1150) should perform from a cold engine to warmed up.

The charts are technical, but show what is going on, in detail. The charts proceed from left to right. On the left is the data immediately after starting, on the right is data after about 12 minutes of operation. Below is a description of the key observations.

Engine Temperature (Engine X10): Starts at 27C on the left and ends at 93C on the right. To make it easier to see on the chart I have multiplied it by 10 so it reads 270 on the left and 930 on the right. This shows the engine warming up.

Lamda closed-loop control: When it is at a value of "0", the Motronic is running Open Loop. When it is at a value of "1" the Motronic is running its Closed Loop program and using the O2 sensor as the primary determinant of fueling. It transitions to Closed Loop fueling at 60C engine temperature after a cold start.

Throttle position (TPS): The TPS starts at about 4 degrees open due to the Fast Idle Lever being held fully up. Then it is moved to the mid (detent) position which is about 2 degrees open. Next the lever is fully down and the TPS reads 0.32 degrees (normal reading). On the far right of the chart the fast idle lever is briefly moved back up to 2 degrees, then 4 degrees, then back to 0.32 degrees.

Injection time: On the left, cranking injection time is about 5 mS per revolution, firing both injectors. After starting, the injection time smoothly drops to 2.5 mS and then finally to about 2 mS. When the fast idle lever is lifted on the right of the chart the injection time increases slightly--all normal.

Ignition angle: Starts at 22 degrees on the left when cold and ends at about 7 degrees on the right when warm. This is a normal progression. Notice that when the fast idle lever goes back up on the right, the Motronic responds by increasing the advance to about 15 degrees.

RPM: After starting with the TPS at 4 degrees, the RPM increases from 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM during the first minute after starting. Then when the TPS drops to 2 degrees, the RPM drops to 1700/1800 RPM. The the fast idle lever is dropped and the idle speed is about 1100 RPM increasing slightly to about 1200 RPM until Closed Loop and then settling down slightly to 1100 RPM in Closed Loop operation as the mixture richness is reduced by Closed Loop.

Lambda sensor voltage: This line on the chart is the Motronic's measurement of the O2 sensor voltage, measured in millivolts (a value of 1,000 equals 1 volt). This is the key indicator of combustion quality. The Motronic relies on it exclusively for long term fueling.

Starting on the left of the Lambda sensor voltage chart it begins at 450 mV because the O2 (lambda) sensor is cold. When cold it appears absent to the Motronic (due to high resistance). At about the two minute mark, the Motronic turns on the O2 sensor heater (not shown) and a combination of the heater and exhaust heat get the O2 sensor going and it registers about 860 mV, indicating a good RICH mixture. Then, even though the throttle is reduced to 2 degrees and then 0.32 degrees, the O2 sensor output stays "high", meaning rich, right up to 60C degrees engine temperature. This is what is expected.

Next the lambda sensor voltage enters a period where you can see the voltage varying between about 750 mV and 100 mV. It changes from high to low every 3 seconds and low to high 3 seconds later for a total Closed Loop period of 6 seconds at 1100 RPM idle. This is fairly long, but normal for the R1150GS because the O2 sensor is located inside the catalytic converter due to the exhaust pipes coming into the cat separately. (On the 1150RT the sensor is mounted where the two pipes join, ahead of the catalytic converter and the period is under 2 seconds at idle.) During this time, note that the binary Lambda closed-loop control stays at a "1" value.

Lastly notice that the O2 sensor voltage starts varying more quickly for the time near the end of the chart when the fast idle lever is lifted. Exhaust gas is passing more rapidly through the system and the O2 sensor changes value faster at about 4 seconds period at 2000 RPM and 1.5 seconds at 2800 RPM. This is because the Closed Loop process in the Motronic can run faster as the exhaust gas moves faster.

Summary
The above description was the result of working with the owner of the 2001 R1200GS. He took a couple dozen Cold Start logs. During the process we found an about-to-fail fuel pump, a worn out O2 sensor, and O2 sensor faults due to low pump pressure plus a too-high-adjustment of idle RPM. We also learned some key information about the importance of correct TPS setting (not zero=zero) and correct idle speed setting, which I will describe in another post soon.

lazy02sensorcleanO2YellowIdle.jpg

I've had a Beemer Boneyard version of the EJK on my workbench for several months, planning to check it out. I've been curious about what it does with the O2 sensor and finally got to it this week.

Techlusion products work by monitoring one of the fuel injectors, measuring how often the injector is triggered (to calculate engine RPM) and the injector's pulse-width (to calculate Engine Load, wider pulses are delivered when the engine is producing more torque). Injectors have battery voltage on one of their two electrical terminals, and when the Motronic wants the injector to squirt fuel, it grounds the other terminal.

What the Techlusion does to add fuel is to lengthen the time the injector is grounded by the Motronic. To do that the EJK has to wait until the Motronic ungrounds the injector, and then instantly re-ground it.

The EJK has four control modes:

Light cruise (green LEDs): Lengthens short injection pulses
Acceleration (yellow): Lengthens medium injection pulses
WOT (red): Lengthens long injection pulses
?Techlusion Closed Loop? mode (green and blue): The maximum RPM at which Motronic Closed Loop operates properly. Above that RPM the EJK disables normal Closed Loop and enters Techlusion Closed Loop. Techlusion Closed Loop is essentially Open Loop which is what allows settings 1-3 to do their work and add fuel.

Although each of the 4 control modes has 15 settings, none of the settings has a specific meaning. Modes 1-3 have settings that range from add ?a little? to ?a lot?. There is no way to know how much fuel you're adding but Techlusion sends it to you set to their recommended values. (In the Techlusion metaphor, it's like adjusting a carburetor. Tweak it till you like it.) The Techlusion box shows a chart with cruise AFR at 13.4:1 and wot AFR at 12.6:1. The 13.4:1 cruise AFR is very rich.

Mode 4 also has many settings but the documentation doesn't tell you at what RPM Closed Loop is disabled for a particular setting. (In fact, the documentation leads you to believe that the EJK is doing something useful with the O2 input.) It comes set on number 1, the lowest RPM which was about 1800 RPM on my bike. This means normal-Closed Loop is working only at idle RPMs.

From the tests I ran, I observed that rather than simply disconnecting the O2, the EJK sends the Motronic a ?lean? signal. It sets the voltage going to the Motronic to about 100 mV. Then, every 1.5 seconds the EJK briefly pulses the O2 voltage sent to the Motronic to 500 mV. This is supposed to fool the Motronic into believing an O2 is present & functioning, thereby avoiding an error code, but not allowing the normal Closed Loop to change fueling.

What I observed was the Motronic, seeing a mostly low (lean) signal, enrichs the mixture slowly to its maximum value of Mixture Adaptation. As a result, after about 30 seconds at steady RPM, I measured an AFR that had adjusted from 14.7:1 (normal Closed Loop) to 11.5:1, way too rich. If you look at the bottom graph on chart below you can see:

--the O2 sensor warming up from 450 mV to 800 mV (rich) during a cold start sequence
--then entering normal Closed Loop with an AFR of 14.7:1
--then with the RPM raised entering Techlusion Closed Loop
--then with the RPM back down, normal Closed Loop

You can also see the mixture on the top graph. (The two charts were measured at different times so the graphs aren't meant to line up.)

So the EJK is the same-old Techlusion with a twist. You can add fuel in steps but with no concrete idea of how much you're adding, and with your ECU operating Open Loop. If what you want is to turn your electronic fuel injection into a carburetor, this product can help you do it. And if you do choose it, it would be best to reset the Motronic and leave the O2 disconnected.

RB

techlusionclosedloop.jpg

I ran into an interesting problem with my Innovate Motorsports LC-1. My +12 volt lead, which is tapped from the lambda sensor heater became intermittent because I used a cheap fork-style tap. I fixed the problem but notice that the 10 programmed values for voltage, lambda and sampling time had all been reset to default values due to the intermittent. I'd been riding for a week that way and couldn't put my finger on it but knew something was wrong. Fixed the tap and reprogrammed the values.

Then I notified that the unit was acting strangely, outputting more voltage than I programmed. I knew from past experience that to fix it I would need to perform a Free-Air Calibration which requires removal of the O2 sensor from the exhaust. That's not quick and can risk damaging the O2 sensor. So ... I tried something different:

1) Opened the throttle fully
2) Connected a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust outlet at the back of the bike
3) Bumped the rear wheel in gear until one of the cylinders reached the point where the exhaust and intake valves overlap--air started flowing, left it on. The exhaust and Wideband O2 was now full of fresh air.
4) Powered up the LC-1 by jumping the fuel pump relay and pressing the LC-1 calibration button. 5 seconds later calibration was complete.

Free-Air cal is speced for once a year. This made it fast and easy to accomplish.

Lc1

I ran into an interesting problem with my Innovate Motorsports LC-1. My +12 volt lead, which is tapped from the lambda sensor heater became intermittent because I used a cheap fork-style tap. I fixed the problem but notice that the 10 programmed values for voltage, lambda and sampling time had all been reset to default values due to the intermittent. I'd been riding for a week that way and couldn't put my finger on it but knew something was wrong. Fixed the tap and reprogrammed the values.

Then I notified that the unit was acting strangely, outputting more voltage than I programmed. I knew from past experience that to fix it I would need to perform a Free-Air Calibration which requires removal of the O2 sensor from the exhaust. That's not quick and can risk damaging the O2 sensor. So ... I tried something different:

1) Opened the throttle fully
2) Connected a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust outlet at the back of the bike
3) Bumped the rear wheel in gear until one of the cylinders reached the point where the exhaust and intake valves overlap--air started flowing, left it on. The exhaust and Wideband O2 was now full of fresh air.
4) Powered up the LC-1 by jumping the fuel pump relay and pressing the LC-1 calibration button. 5 seconds later calibration was complete.

Free-Air cal is speced for once a year. This made it fast and easy to accomplish.

Hello Roger, been a while since partaking on forums here.
In addition to your thorough and in depth work/ documentation on the various Motronic systems and other kit, I am amazed/ impressed with your loyalty to the LC1 format!
I had so many issues with it, I actually performed free air recalibrations all the time, in the exact manner you describe above (with vacume to sweep clean the rogue gasses)
Recalibrating however was not the problem, but graduating to an MXT-L (or 14.7 which I also use) was. Regardless, good for you if it works!

I have a couple more items to add to the "tuning arsenal" concept idea, which I'll list below. These are for my pursuit of closer to a perfect tune on the old R100RT turbo, but would also be very much a helpful addition to a data aquasition quest to pry open the mystery lid on the "Motronic" program and populate all the data into a transferrable template - I say that while actually meaning a "startable template" whereby an oilhead might be tuned exactly as one wishes from every and all standpoint.

a) Log H.P. via provision through a newer release of Tuner Studio (tuning program available at ridiculously low cost to any M.S. participant) - http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/pro...economy-fields

b) Gain road speed via gps rather than a VSS (which is doable for my V2 release of MicroSquirt ecu but requires "some assembly" of a speed sensor circuit which is ultra simple for those with good eyes and micro soldering abilities but not a slam dunk I'm afeared in my case). Here is a link to one such suitable device which just plugs in via USB: https://www.efianalytics.com/products/BT-Q818XT.html

c) Another interesting tuning program you can download is this: http://www.virtualdyno.net/

Regards,
Lorne

Hi Lorne, My LC-1 is working but the analog output is not molding the "high" voltage perfectly. The AFR log to logworks is fine and the Motronic doesn't care about the high voltage but I so. My next step is to so a full reset using LM Programmer, then heater and free air cal. If that doesn't work I'll reflash it. If that doesn't work I'll buy an LC-2. RB

Then I notified that the unit was acting strangely, outputting more voltage than I programmed. I knew from past experience that to fix it I would need to perform a Free-Air Calibration which requires removal of the O2 sensor from the exhaust. That's not quick and can risk damaging the O2 sensor.

The Free-Air calibration did not completely restore my LC-1 to perfect operation after my +12V tap failed. After some internet searching I found a more comprehensive procedure that worked. Below is the full amended process. In addition to a vacuum cleaner I build a switch with spade terminals to use in place of the fuel pump relay. Since my LC-1 is powered on the fuel pump circuit (in place of the stock O2 sensor heater) I needed to be able to switch that circuit on without running the bike.

1. Open throttle fully and lock it at WOT
2. Connect a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust and switch in on
3. Put the transmission in gear rock the engine with the rear wheel until one cylinder is near the top of the exhaust stroke and both intake and exhaust valves are open. At this point you have fresh air flowing through the exhaust.

4. Replace the fuel pump relay with a switch.
5. Connect your PC to the LC-1 and launch LM Programmer
6. Turn the fuel pump switch on. Wait for the LC-1 to warm up (red led ON)
7. In LM Programmer press the Reset Calibration function. This clears all heater, free air and other calibration values. There is no confirmation dialog. Close LM programmer.

8. Turn the fuel pump switch off for 30 seconds.
9. Turn the fuel pump switch on
A) the Red LED flashes slowly while the unit warms up
B) next the Red LED flashes quickly for about 20 seconds, it is performing a Heater Cal
C) next the Red LED turns off for 3 seconds, it is performing a free-air Cal
D) next the Res LED turns on fully, signaling that all is well and the LC-1 is fully reset and calibrated

At this point you're done. The whole process took 15 minutes, start to finish.
-remove the vacuum
-replace the fuel pump relay
-relax the throttle
-put the transmission in neutral

At test ride confirmed good as new performance.

It is often written that the Motronic for Oilheads only runs the Closed Loop program near idle or for light loads. Below is a chart that is a work in progress that shows to the contrary that the Motronic runs in Open Loop mode at light loads, except near idle where it is Closed Loop.

The data source for the chart comes from several hours of realtime GS-911 logs from R1150GSs and RTs, both single and dual spark. Each blue dot represents a TPS angle and RPM when the Motronic was in Closed Loop. Several key points emerge from the data:

1. The Motronic runs Closed Loop to 5000 RPM (and beyond)

2. Closed Loop runs at fairly high loads, for example there are points to 22 degrees between 4000 and 5000 RPM.

3. Other than at idle, there are no Closed Loop operations to the right of and below the red line. Wally G. had first noticed that there was a band above 2000 RPM at small throttle angles where the Motronic didn't operate in Closed Loop, but this shows that the area is much larger than previously known.

This is the lightly loaded area where there are many complaints about surging. Keeping the gears low and RPMs up may not be the best strategy for keeping the boxer motor smooth.

4. The R1200 and its BMSK perform very differently. There are as many Closed Loop points below the red line, as there are above it. (I will post a chart on the BMSK later.)

I plan to expand and improve the chart soon but thought I'd post this preview tonight.

image.jpg

I'm on board.

Roger,
Thank you.
You convinced me while waiting for the opportunity to add to my posse that I would need an AF-XIED for my "new" 2004 R1150RT that the device has been ordered and on its way to me....And I'm getting my new bike this weekend. I remembered the trial ride when I looked at it that I needed 3000 rpm + before shifting it and 6th gear was useless below 70 mph. I've got the winter to have the injectors cleaned and anything else that needs attention on this beautiful R1150RT I found with only 14,900 miles.

Kutter

Help!

Roger,
Thank you.
You convinced me while waiting for the opportunity to add to my posse that I would need an AF-XIED for my "new" 2004 R1150RT that the device has been ordered and on its way to me....And I'm getting my new bike this weekend. I remembered the trial ride when I looked at it that I needed 3000 rpm + before shifting it and 6th gear was useless below 70 mph. I've got the winter to have the injectors cleaned and anything else that needs attention on this beautiful R1150RT I found with only 14,900 miles.

Kutter

Trying to hook this rascal up! Fairings off, battery out Tank out (still hooked to hoses just out of its cradle resting on the jug & a can on the rt side) I found the O2 sensor & traced the cable up to where it looks like its running under the battery box/ cluster in the center. Do I have to lift out that whole thing to find the connector?

I've reached the connector without removing the battery box/etc., but it is easier to just go ahead and pull the tank completely. Note the routing of the hoses & throttle cables so they don't get hung up. You can use tape or a silver "Sharpie" pen to identify the lines so you reconnect them properly later. Great opportunity to delete the plastic fuel line connectors and install the metal ones.

I also have the '04 RT - YES you need over 3000 rpm before shifting; this is an opposed twin-cylinder bike, not a "lugging" motor, so SPIN IT!

Yes sixth gear is an overdrive - NOT for any place that enforces a 55 mph speed limit.

Last edited:
With lambda set to 0.94 (13.8:1), the '04 RT runs really sweetly at 55 mph in 6th gear--you'll be surprised. 5th gear pulls nicely from just under 40 mph and above.

There are always questions popping up about when the R1150 runs in Closed Loop and when it's in Open Loop. Although the research in this thread has shown that the distinction isn't critical, because the Motronic and BMSK use a Mixture Adaptation strategy to use Closed Loop fueling data to correct Open Loop errors, it is important to know when considering a fueling enhancement strategy (LC-2 vs PCV vs ... ). For example, if you boost fuel pressure, Closed Loop "learning" "sees" the extra fuel and removes the benefit; or if you change the Motronic "chip" for one with a "richer" map, Closed Loop learning also removes the extra fuel. And for some of us, it's just interesting to know.

During the course of this Wideband O2 project many riders have sent GS-911 data, from a mix of R1150s--GSs & RTs, single and dual spark. Among other things the data includes information on TPS, RPM and Closed/Open Loop. That data has been used to create an accurate map of when the R1150 is in Closed and Open Loop. (LC-1 data taken from an R1100 shows that it works much the same as the R1150.)

Summary
If you don't want to read any further, the simple answer is that once an R1150 is warmed-up, the Motronic (and BMSK for R1200) runs Closed Loop most of the time, except when you're making large changes to the throttle. In fact, data presented below shows that the Motronic runs in Closed Loop to 50% throttle and to 5600 RPM (and likely higher), which is up to 60-70% power.

Just how much of the time is the bike in Closed Loop? The data below, from 4 R1150GS riders and 1 R1150RT shows:

--70% of riding was in Closed Loop
--99% of all the data points taken were within the Closed Loop area (<47 degrees throttle, <5600 RPM)
--Surprisingly, the R1150 is not in Closed Loop for light loads, coinciding with the most surge-prone area of riding.

So if your objective is to run with richer mixtures, you have to richen Closed Loop fueling. This can be done with a Wideband O2 System like the Innovate LC-2 or a Wideband emulator like the Nightrider AF-XIED.

The other thing to know, is that the Motronic actively applies what it learns in Closed Loop to the entire fueling map through a process of Mixture Adaptation, which I've documented earlier in this thread.

Detailed Analysis
Recently there have been some discussions regarding which parts of the R1150 fuel map have Closed Loop operations and which don't. As mentioned above, several riders have sent data from their GS-911s and it occured to me that this data could be put together into one large file and analyzed.

The Motronic reports (and the GS-911 logs) a new set of operating data roughly twice per second. Each data point has the following information, including TPS angle, RPM and whether the Motronic is in Closed or Open Loop. This can be seen in the next chart.

gs911data.jpg

Using that data, the plot below has a point for each TPS/RPM pair from each line of the GS-911 log for 5 R1150GS/RT riders, both Single and Dual spark bikes. The points were then color-coded depending on the state of the Closed/Open Loop indicator.

On this chart the Blue points are Closed Loop and the Yellow Points are Open Loop. This let's you see several things:

--The maximum TPS with a Closed Loop point--47 degrees
--The maximum RPM with a Closed Loop point--5600 RPM (may not be the maximum)
--That there are Open Loop data points within the Closed Loop boundaries.
--70% of all points are Closed Loop
--99% of all points are within the Closed Loop area

R1150ClosedLoop1.jpg

In the next chart, I've zoomed in on the Closed Loop area up to 36 degrees throttle and up to 5600 RPM (there was only one point greater than 36 degrees throttle). All the points, Closed and Open Loop are Blue on this chart. This is the area where most riders do almost all of their riding according to this data. The reason for the red line will be clear in a moment.

R1150ClosedLoop3.jpg

For this last chart the Open Loop data points have been removed so that only the Closed Loop data points are plotted.

This shows a very surprising result: although the Motronic is in Closed Loop at idle and up to about 1400 RPM, the Motronic is not in Closed Loop in much of the small-throttle-angle area of the map. What you can see is a diagonal line beyond which the Motronic stays Open Loop.

Most of us believed that the Motronic was Closed Loop only at small throttle angles. This chart clearly shows that it is Open Loop for light loads. My estimate looking at load charts is that this area corresponds to <20% engine load. (For comparison, the engine load at idle is about 15%.)

R1150ClosedLoop4.jpg

Past measurements of AFR in this area of the map have shown it to be a leaner area than Closed Loop with an AFR of about 15.2:1. In this area, if you twitch the throttle up a bit, the Motronic enriches the mixture; and if you twitch it closed, the Motronic leans-off the mixture. This means that on top of a basic leaness, the ECU also amplifies any throttle movements by going from leaner to richer to leaner--this would feel a bit "surgy".

Why did BMW make this area Open Loop on the Motronic (it is Closed Loop on the R1200's BMSK)? Who knows. A guess would be that this was an area where it was fueled as a "deceleration" area and that the Lean AFR was to save fuel or maybe reduce exhaust popping.

So that's the picture for Motronic Closed/Open Loop.
RB

I'm not sure what you mean by feedback parameter but here are the conditions for closed loop operation for the R1150:

--engine temperature above 60C (varies somewhat by model,my ear)
--RPM and TPS within the areas shown in the charts
--RPM and TPS rate of change small (not sure exact parameters)

When those conditions are met the Motronic uses the O2 sensor in an iterative routine to keep the afr close to lambda = 1. So the O2 sensor is the key parameter in the feedback loop.

Back