• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensors

Happy

I was lucky enough to get one of the first AF-XiEd units.

I have been running it for 2 days now and so far I am very happy.

Bike: 2000 R1150GS with air intake sensor thermistor added (generic equiv to Ice Air, Recyclizer, etc, etc.)
XiED setting @7
Yellow Cat code plug (30-87)

Have ridden about 200 miles and noted the following:

Improved very smooth throttle response and less harshness.
Surging is gone.
Increased power at top end - easy to bounce off the rev limiter.
Went from 89 octane to 87 - so far no pinging at 80f temps.
Roll on is improved, even when the rpm is in the basement.
Mileage has not really changed. (I have logged every litre I have ever burned)
Engine idles very smooth and does not hunt up and down as it did before.
Plug color is a nice tan - not white as before.
Very easy plug and play installation.
Change the AFR on the fly, very easy, all you need is a small screwdriver to tiddle a pot - no flea clip to loose.

My feeling is the bike is happier at 14.1 AFR (instead of 14.7) and the bike is much more pleasant to ride. I KNOW this bike as I have had it since 2001 and the odometer presently sits at 245,000 km.
I will be experimenting with lower ratios in the next few weeks, and going on a long trip. Will report my findings as they happen.

NICE WORK ROGER & STEVE!!!!

Last edited:
Nice install FSAddict! I think your decision to run at setting 7 (about 14.1:1 or lambda 0.96) is only 4% more fuel added to the mixture ... and yet it transforms the bike. Many of us started at 4% and then tried higher. It will be interesting to see what works best for you.

Credit for this goes to Steve Mullen at Nightrider too. The AF-XIED is his base design. Good guy, good businessman. He's just kicked off a larger run of devices.

So how much of the original Innovate Wide Band is used in the new device? Did you just get them to incorporate it? Or, is this a totally new product? Can't wait to see the R1200 unit. I just never had the time like this to devote to playing with this stuff, though it interests the heck out of me.

The BMW-AF-XIED is based on an established product but inrelated to the innovate Motorsports LC-1.

The LC-1 makes readings of AFR from less than 12:1 to more than 17:1. It uses the Bosch LSU 4.2 Wideband Oxygen Sensor.

The nightrider.com BMW-AF-XIED is a proprietary engine, that I specified, and that Steve Mullen of nightrider built. It uses your stock Narrowband O2 sensor to control AFR between 13.5:1 and 14.7:1.

The BMW-AF-XIED is going into beta testing this week. Since the device is succeeding in beta now on an f800gs with BMSK ECU, I expect the 1200 will go well.

Roger

On behalf of Beemer Boneyard and Nightrider, I set up a Vendor support thread here: BMW-AF-XIED Support.

About 10 of the first production run units got shipped to me, so that all could be checked against my LC-1 before shipment and as a final QA on the production process.

Some were shipped to beta testers who ordered them, some others went to support new F800 and R1200 beta tests.

That leaves me with two BMW-AF-XIEDs and two Universal Cables. The Universal cables do no come with OEM connectors, but the cost less. To use the universal cable you cut two wires in the O2 Sensor cable, and make four Posilock connections (Posilock not included). It is very straightforward and can always be reversed.

Since it will be a while before R1100, F800 and R1200 OEM connectors will be available for delivery, I can offer these two units with instructions for how to use the Universal Cable.

Anyone interested could PM me.

RB

On behalf of Beemer Boneyard and Nightrider, I set up a Vendor support thread here: BMW-AF-XIED Support.

About 10 of the first production run units got shipped to me, so that all could be checked against my LC-1 before shipment and as a final QA on the production process.

Some were shipped to beta testers who ordered them, some others went to support new F800 and R1200 beta tests.

That leaves me with two BMW-AF-XIEDs and two Universal Cables. The Universal cables do no come with OEM connectors, but the cost less. To use the universal cable you cut two wires in the O2 Sensor cable, and make four Posilock connections (Posilock not included). It is very straightforward and can always be reversed.

Since it will be a while before R1100, F800 and R1200 OEM connectors will be available for delivery, I can offer these two units with instructions for how to use the Universal Cable.

Anyone interested could PM me.

RB

Roger, how do you compare the Posilock connectors with a solder and heat shrink connection?

R1100 Series?

Not sure if this has been answered before: Will the BMW-AF-XIEDs also be available for the R1100 series? I have a R1100R and would be interested in buying one unit.

Roger, how do you compare the Posilock connectors with a solder and heat shrink connection?

Generally i prefer soldering but the O2 sensor gets its reference oxygen through the wires and if you solder them it will block that flow. Bosch uses posilock which is why I've suggested them. You could use other crimp type connections too.

Not sure if this has been answered before: Will the BMW-AF-XIEDs also be available for the R1100 series? I have a R1100R and would be interested in buying one unit.

The BMW-AF-XIED has been tested on the 1100 and works great. We are still having a hard time finding a supply of OEM male/female connectors so it is being offered with a universal cable that you attach to your existing O2 sensor (no change to your motorcycle harness).

I heard from Nightrider and Beemer Boneyard that another batch of Controllers and R1150 cables will be available soon. R1200 cables are now in the design/check pipeline and should be available soon.

R1100 connectors are a little further behind but a Universal Cable is offered. Below is a picture of how 3 of the 5 wires in the harness get connected to a stock O2 sensor in the absence of OEM Cables.

It's pretty easy really. Four inches from the O2 Sensor Connector, cut the black wire crimp splice to each end of the black and tap connect to one of the white wires. One cut, three connections.

The BMW-AF-XIED has a stock mode so you can return to stock without touching the cable.

R1100%20Universal%20Cable.jpg

"Generally i prefer soldering but the O2 sensor gets its reference oxygen through the wires and if you solder them it will block that flow. Bosch uses posilock which is why I've suggested them. You could use other crimp type connections too."

What??? Maybe this needs some re-phrasing and/or clarification:
Electricity goes through wires; oxygen goes through pipes. Connecting something to the O2 sensor's wiring doesn't block the exhaust flow, unless I'm forgetting something (which happens...).
Posilocks (the "fold-over" things that slice through the insulation but hopefully not the wire, right?) would allow one to return to a previous setup, but historically, they're nowhere near as reliable as a soldered connection.

"Generally i prefer soldering but the O2 sensor gets its reference oxygen through the wires and if you solder them it will block that flow. Bosch uses posilock which is why I've suggested them. You could use other crimp type connections too."

Electricity goes through wires; oxygen goes through pipes. Connecting something to the O2 sensor's wiring doesn't block the exhaust flow, unless I'm forgetting something (which happens...).
Posilocks (the "fold-over" things that slice through the insulation but hopefully not the wire, right?) would allow one to return to a previous setup, but historically, they're nowhere near as reliable as a soldered connection.

I was going to say that didn't make sense...

Solder hsould be a much better electrical connection than posilock, which is subject to corrosion, even as good as they are.

Curious...

Plus, waiting for the R1200 version!

Thanks for the feedback on Innovate. Their website forum makes it seem like the products are hard to use. But it is my choice at the moment.

There's a good package price now on the LC-1 with gauge. Now the same price as the MTX-L. I'm trying to find a dead O2 so I don't have to cut into my working unit.

Over on the MS Forums, there was a discussion on different peoples experiences and satisfaction using the various brands of Wide Band O2 kits available which went quite far into the Inovate products. The concencus was around 50% satisfaction (post since been removed I suspect to keep things friendly).
I myself have used both their LC1 and MTX-L (either of which will allow wide band and narrow band feedback to an ecu in addition of the gauge display). I found after a few years of motorbike tuning and trips that the LC1 decided not to recognize the 5 wire Bosch wide band sensor any more (I say this by reason of significant testing on that supposedly failed and expensive sensor by another brand named "14.7" - a smaller company but a very ergonomic and most affordable system). It would provide error codes indicating beyond range of operation amongst other things. I purchased the MTX-L next and it seems to be immune to those LC1 issues. Alan To @ 14.7 tested my original Bosch sensor, declared it fully functional, and sent it back to me along with a free gauge kit (his product has the controller built into gauge and is ultra compact). Naturally I was impressed with that. Operation of the 14.7 is very good.

The below link relates to tuner discussion regarding the "14.7" products (called "Spartan" also)
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=47127

You may have made a product choice already, but just thought I'd post a few comments from my experience and others.
Regards,
Lorne.

I know that it sounds odd, and counter intuitive but it is clear in the Bosch instructions. The cell inside the O2 sensor has exhaust gas on one side, and fresh air on the other. The fresh air source for the cell inside the sensor comes through the spaces between the strands of wire. Apparently, if you solder the wires, solder wicks into the strands and blocks the flow of that fresh air. I'm just the messenger on this one, repeating what Bosch says.

Plus, waiting for the R1200 version!

The BMW-AF-XIED works for many bikes now including R1100, R1150, F800, K1200LT & RS--only the OEM connectors to make it plug and play have been missing. A source of supply has been found for OEM connectors for the R1200 it should be confirmed and qualified fairly soon.

I know that it sounds odd, and counter intuitive but it is clear in the Bosch instructions. The cell inside the O2 sensor has exhaust gas on one side, and fresh air on the other. The fresh air source for the cell inside the sensor comes through the spaces between the strands of wire. Apparently, if you solder the wires, solder wicks into the strands and blocks the flow of that fresh air. I'm just the messenger on this one, repeating what Bosch says.

Roger,

I would love to run this by a couple of my engineer friends who are heavy into programming fuel injection & turbos... Couple of industry guys... Can you provide a link to where you gleaned this information? I'm sure I will get back a detailed explanation.

Thanks,

John.

Roger,

I would love to run this by a couple of my engineer friends who are heavy into programming fuel injection & turbos... Couple of industry guys... Can you provide a link to where you gleaned this information? I'm sure I will get back a detailed explanation.

Thanks,

John.

John, Sure. The explanation seems straight-forward: reference oxygen gets to the internal sensor through the cable (rather than a hole in the sensor body to avoid contamination. Roger

Here is a link to the consumer article: http://www.boschautoparts.com/BAP_Technical_Resources%2FOxygen%20Sensors%2FO2InstallGDWEB09.pdf.

From Bosch's staff:
You should never solder a O2 sensor wire because the sensor "will breathe" through the cable. The acceptable method of splicing or repairing O2 wiring is with crimp connectors. Here is the technical description of why you do not solder the connections on the O2 sensor side of the updated wiring.

The outside of the bulb is exposed to the hot gases in the exhaust while the inside of the bulb is vented internally through the sensor body to the outside atmosphere. Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors insulation and have no vent hole.

It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation/wire and through wire insulation provides enough air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor leads/connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to eventually fail.

On this manual 2/3 through on page C4: http://www.bosch.com.au/car_parts/en/downloads/Oxgen_Sensor__Cat_WEB.pdf.

Over on the MS Forums, there was a discussion on different peoples experiences and satisfaction using the various brands of Wide Band O2 kits available which went quite far into the Inovate products. The concencus was around 50% satisfaction (post since been removed I suspect to keep things friendly).
I myself have used both their LC1 and MTX-L (either of which will allow wide band and narrow band feedback to an ecu in addition of the gauge display). I found after a few years of motorbike tuning and trips that the LC1 decided not to recognize the 5 wire Bosch wide band sensor any more (I say this by reason of significant testing on that supposedly failed and expensive sensor by another brand named "14.7" - a smaller company but a very ergonomic and most affordable system). It would provide error codes indicating beyond range of operation amongst other things. I purchased the MTX-L next and it seems to be immune to those LC1 issues. Alan To @ 14.7 tested my original Bosch sensor, declared it fully functional, and sent it back to me along with a free gauge kit (his product has the controller built into gauge and is ultra compact). Naturally I was impressed with that. Operation of the 14.7 is very good.

The below link relates to tuner discussion regarding the "14.7" products (called "Spartan" also)
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=47127

You may have made a product choice already, but just thought I'd post a few comments from my experience and others.
Regards,
Lorne.

Lorne, I've been working with Alan To, who makes a good but non-programmable product, the Spartan. It needed to be reprogrammed to work well with the Motronic MA 2.4 and 2.2. Alan did this for me. I now have a couple prototypes that work very well. There are no datalogging capabilities.

For an R1200, F800, R1100 or R1150 installation there are several considerations the led me to conclude a shifted narrowband O2 would be a better upgrade for most riders: narrowband sensor requires no calibration, narrowband sensors are more rugged, the narrowband sensor would not have to be removed from the exhaust, the Spartan cannot be user programmed, a shifted narrowband would be plug and play.

Because I like Alan and his product, it remains an option after the market gets going. See picture of Spartan with my programming and R1150 connector (from earlier in this thread: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...and-O2-Sensors&p=868229&viewfull=1#post868229) below.
Roger

13point8.JPG

Roger, thank you for the detailed info!

So what have people been finding is the optimal AFR to run for an RT?

Roger, thank you for the detailed info!

So what have people been finding is the optimal AFR to run for an RT?

John, That's a very good question. We've had about two dozen units installed on many different models. There is a relatively small spread of results. A 4% enrichment makes a significant improvement in driveability and low RPM torque. By 6% the bikes usually seem transformed. So most seem to settle somewhere between 4-6% although some have added as much as 8%. The results are the same for LC-1s and BMW-at-XIEDs.

It is sometimes hard to believe that so little additional fuel can make such a big difference. It just seems like it's the boxer's sweet spot.

Back